Weight gain

andy10r

Hello,

Can anybody help me? I am 38 years old and I was diagnosed with type 1 just before christmas last year. I have my levels under control and feel great.
The problem I have is that I am putting on weight! I am eating healthly, although I do not excercise as time for me is non-existant.
Is it the norm to put on weight? I'm a little confused tosay the least.
Cheers.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Although I'm not a Type 1, it is quite common to put on some weight with insulin. If you try to keep the carbs down and adjust your insulin accordingly you may find it easier to control you weight. You may want to ask for more advice on the Type 1 forum?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Andy, what insulin regime have they got you on at present.....are you on twice daily injections with fixed doses or MDI ?

andy10r

Hello Noblehead,
At present I am on twice daily injections.
I eat healthly, I think that I am consuming too many carbs though.. although i have cut them down.. this is all very confusing!!

goslow12

Dislikes
Unfair people
Hi andy.

Welcome to the type 1 club!

I also put on weight when I changed to a slow/fast insulin mix. Though you may not like the look of it it's usually a good sign that your sugar levels are under control!

Do you count approximately 10 grams of carbs per one IU of insulin?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
During the period before your T1 was diagnosed, did you lose weight? It's one of the symptoms. You may just be putting it back.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
andy10r said:
Hello Noblehead,
At present I am on twice daily injections.
I eat healthly, I think that I am consuming too many carbs though.. although i have cut them down.. this is all very confusing!!

On twice daily you probably are as you'll be on fixed doses and eating a set amount of carbs, as you've been diagnosed 6 months now you could ask to go onto MDI (multiple daily injections) and this way you are free to adjust your insulin to the food (carbs) you eat.

sonia63

Hi i am type 1and have been for 38yrs. Over time i have learnt that loads of exercise is the only way to keep weight at bay.