Weight loss in 'honeymoon' period

anita81

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
My grandson - 18 years old -is taking insulin 1x per day.

He appears to be losing a lot of weight.

Can anyone tell me more about this?
thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How long has your grandson been diabetic?

I take it that he does not need to lose weight and losing is unintentional?

One insulin injection a day? -do you know what level his readings are in? And how often he is testing himself?

Sorry for all the questions..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anita81

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
How long has your grandson been diabetic?

I take it that he does not need to lose weight and losing is unintentional?

One insulin injection a day? -do you know what level his readings are in? And how often he is testing himself?

Sorry for all the questions..

Hi
He wa diagnosed in January as a result of a routine physical, Has been asymptomatic. I think his readings are under 200 but I don't know how often he tests himself. They tell us he's in the 'honeymoon' period and that the daily insulin is preventative in nature.

He is away at school, and I'm trying not to bug him. He's a very responsible kid, and since we know that he's got to take ownership of the management of this condition, we're letting him be. He sees an endocrinologist regularly.
The weight loss is unintentional - he's never had a weight problem.
thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Readings under 200... This could mean that he is hyper level a lot and losing weight because of this...it could mean that your grandson is possibly running too high and doesnt want to change his insulin doses because of not knowing how to, not being bothered, or because of being scared of hypo's.

It may be that he is just doing a lot more activity and not eating enough?

Type 1's typically lose weight prediagnosis and then will balance out their weight as they get better health and regime's.

It is very hard as parents/grandparents to allow an 18 year old to self manage diabetes as they will have concerns that the child is actually managing it.

I'll bump this up and hope that somebody else here can offer some more advice...

anita81

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you so much
Anita

Readings under 200... This could mean that he is hyper level a lot and losing weight because of this...it could mean that your grandson is possibly running too high and doesnt want to change his insulin doses because of not knowing how to, not being bothered, or because of being scared of hypo's.

It may be that he is just doing a lot more activity and not eating enough?

Type 1's typically lose weight prediagnosis and then will balance out their weight as they get better health and regime's.

It is very hard as parents/grandparents to allow an 18 year old to self manage diabetes as they will have concerns that the child is actually managing it.

I'll bump this up and hope that somebody else here can offer some more advice...