Weight loss on Gliclazide

grahamrosen

Hi All,

I am trying to lose weight and was doing ok - lost 1 stone in about 5 weeks but I have been stuck at the same weight for over 2 weeks now! I am on 40mg Gliclazide and 4 x 500mg Metformin, any comments regarding the drugs and the weight loss stalling would be appreciated.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been pretty much stuck on weight loss for about a year, having lost 3 stones fairly easily. Check out the gliclazide info leaflet. Since it's a Sulphonylurea, I wouldn't think it would help weight loss.
Hana

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I came off gliclazide for a couple off months because of weight GAIN. Had to go back on it though because others not working to well for me. :(

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the wiehgt loss so far :clap:

I lost over 7st whilst taking glic - I did stall a couple of times - when that happens it's like anybody trying to lose weight - you have to up the exercise or cut your food intake or both - I found upping my exercise dealt with it best - good luck and keep at it :) - for 4 of those stone I was on max glic (320mg daily) - you are on a lot smaller dose so maybe smaller changes will work for you - was able to half my meds after weight loss :)

Glic can increase your appetite so you do want to eat more - just like any weight loss diet you have to find a way round that - I used to have ready prepped stuff like chopped up salad stuff or veg soup always ready in the fridge to snack on if I needed something - also I made a rule that I had to set the table and sit down to eat ANYTHING! - soon gets you out of the habit of just popping stuff in your mouth :lol:

I also stopped weighing myself every week - just weighed myself at the end of every month - always showed a loss sometimes just a small one but a loss never the less

I still have some weight to get off but I have become a bit complacent during winter - need to give myself a pep talk to get going again - it is never easy and the nearer your goal you get the harder it is :roll:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not too sure I like Gliclazide - I stopped taking it for fear of weight gain.

Gliclazide works by stimulating your pancreas to create more insulin. This started alarm bells ringing with me, because, as a type 2, my understanding was that lack of insulin wasn't a problem - utilising it was.

Why put more of the "weight gain hormone" in your system if it wasn't all going to be used? Why not treat the insulin sensitivity instead? (Because, as a result of too much insulin, you'll gain weight, and as a result of that weight gain, your insulin sensitivity will go down, and as a result of that, you'll need to increase your dose, and as a reult of that, you'll gain weight, and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on...)

Also - some people believe that using Gliclazide can (over time) actually cause damage to your pancreas. They call it "Pancreatic Burn Out", and is based on the fact that overstimulation can cause damage/wear.

You have to do your own research on what drugs you choose to take - the above is strictly my opinion of Gliclazide based on my own learning and personal expereince of the drug.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Gliclazide and think it hinders weight loss. I'd like to stop taking it and I'm trying alternatives of bitter melon and cinnamon to bring down my levels further. I was staying fairly static with my weight until I cut my breakfast portions and started eating salad for lunch. I have lost 11lb since Christmas.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you are saying patch - and agree for the most part - I do take met too - started out on insulin and then max glic and then halved my meds again - tried halfing them again but it didn't work - my numbers went up - so my pancreas was probably already pretty shot - I beleive I have been diabetic for at least 4years before diagnosis - this is when I gained the massive amount of weight. - I do eat about 90g of low GI carbs a day - I know I can sustain this for life - any lower and I would be jumping of the wagon on a daily basis - I know myself well!