Weight loss seems to have stalled

alfreddouglas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I struggled to lose any weight after being diagnosed in 2010 at the age of 68. In June this year my GP finally provided me with a blood testing kit and I began to use it just before and two hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner. Results varied between 14.3 and 6.3 mmol/L. My weight remained constant at 13 stone.
Then I discovered this website and began the restricted carbohydrate program on 21 June. My blood results on the first day dropped to between 8.1 and 4.2 mmol/L, then became steady at between 7.2 and 3.8 mmol/L daily.
I weighed myself every three days before breakfast, and on 21 July I was down to 12 stone 7 pounds. I hoped to lose a further 7 pounds in the next month, but on 21 August I was frustratingly 12 stone, 0 pounds, and 6 ounces.
And there I have stuck. My weight fluctuates by 1 or two ounces, but if I could just lose another half a pound I'd be under 12 stone, which psychologically would seem a milestone.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Grains and dairy can stall loss. As well as nuts. Maybe removing a certain food like one of those will help. All three are high on the list of foods people are intolerant to and stall weight loss.

And of course cutting carbs further. How many are you eating a day?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
Doing lots of good stuff.
Are you able to do any exercise as often folk find diet and exercise helps move the weight off. I know myself the exercise bit can be tricky... frozen shoulders and ACL going pop... but working my way back
Hj

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If I plotted my weight on graph paper, it would be a ✻triangle wave✻

Heaviest on Mondays, lightest on Fridays.

All things being equal, I put this down to the weight of the water I drink rather than my fat content.

Plus, I'm now 60+ ..so have slowed down.

I do maintain a ✻diabetes diary✻ ..so I do have psychological targets ..but if, for example, a isolated weight value strays way off what I expect ..I don't write it down ..simply putting this down to ✻noise on the data✻

My weight nevertheless only increases ✻one pound✻ each year.

Someone pointed out to me that if I had a fall ..✻fat✻ might cushion the blow ..if I did indeed crack a bone at my age that could be pretty life-changing for me.

Last edited:

alfreddouglas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I am 6ft tall and when I was young I was very slim. But when I started the low carb diet in June my waist measurement had been 38 inches for several years and my weight had fluctuated between 13 and 14 stone. Since starting the diet my waist measurement has dropped to 36 inches and I am nearly down to 12 stone.
I keep a record of what I eat at each meal and my meals now are made up of the same ingredients and quantities as they were when I was losing weight steadily. I think I read somewhere that the body allows you to lose weight until it decides you've lost enough and then tries to maintain that current weight. After a while it accepts this as your normal weight and allows you to lose some more. Is this plausible?
For now, I'll take Kristin251s advice and cut out nuts. It has become my habit to eat a handful of brazil nuts or walnuts in the evening instead of dessert or confectionary, as a healthy alternative, but I'll see if doing without makes a difference. I eat stewed apple with plain greek-style yogurt, and add semi-skimmed goats milk to tea and coffee. With the addition of a small quantity of cheese (brie or camembert) two or three times a week) this makes up my dairy intake.
I will take more exercise. I live in a three-storey house and at present a significant part of my daily exercise involves going up and down stairs, working in the garden, or going out shopping. I rarely take exercise as such but now I plan to take a brisk walk every day weather permitting.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Stewed apple? Watch that but great progress

dipsydo

While we are all different I think stalling is not unusual . My experience is that I stalled after losing a couple of stone gradually over with a perod of time at about 2lbs a aweek . I then stalled for 6 weeks and suddenly I lost 7lbs in a week and then 8 weeks no weight loss and then lost another 7lbs . I did find that reducing protein to 0.8 pe kilo of the weight that wanted to get to also helped at the first stall ( had been eating a bit too much protein) . I tried only to weigh once a week so that I did not get too disappointed. I tried not to worry as long as my blood sugar was OK.

alfreddouglas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm happy with my blood sugar levels. Today so far I've measured 6.9 before breakfast; 5.8 two hours after breakfast, and 3.9 just before lunch. All within my parameters.
I'll report back again when there's been a significant change.