Weight loss surgery, anyone any experience?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought I'd replied to this but obviously never posted it.

Did anyone listen to You and Yours yesterday (11th November 2014), specifically on weight loss surgery, available on listen again for the next week. Some very interesting comments about genetic pre-disposition and hormonal changes in obesity that make it very difficult to sustain weight loss.

I'm very sorry if I got a bit shouty about what I didn't want. What I do want from the forum is very simple, experience and opinions from people who have undergone or considered weight loss surgery.

Pipp, thank you so much for being so straight forward in your reply. I should have said that I'd gone from 116kg to 104kg 8 years ago before Dan died to make the roller coaster a bit more realistic. Whatever, I do know I have lots of issues to work through, Dan dying was one of the triggers over the years that has knocked me off course. I'm sure we can all name several life changing moments but not all of us end up putting weight on over it and not all of us can point at something quite so traumatic (fortunately). A couple of years ago a nurse really upset me (I think I've said this up thread) and that was enough to throw me off the weight loss course again.

I've had another look at the Newcastle diet and, whilst I know it could work in the short term, I'm pretty certain it is not something I could use to maintain weight loss. I'm very glad it has worked for you, 144 down to 92 is impressive and even though this has crept back up I hope you are successful in losing more weight.

Please note I have not said, "Well done you" or "You must be very proud of yourself". I've learned over the years that whilst I am very happy each time I have achieved weight loss it the comments come back to bite me when I put weight back on. The converse of "being proud of yourself" is to "be ashamed of yourself". My friends don't actually say (to my face), "You must be ashamed of putting that weight back on" but I do feel it. As if social and media shaming wasn't enough I can do it to myself as well. Thank goodness I'm not a catholic!

I'm a bit in limbo at the moment because waiting for the psych consult. I've gone through all the other tests, consults and meetings and would be on the maximum 18 week countdown if it wasn't for this. I'm not sure why the wait is so long.
I didn't think you were shouty, @Janice2209 . I do think you are desperate for a solution. The wait for the psych consultation can't be helping. Can your GP assist in speeding it up?

As for Newcastle diet, for me it was the short term, rapid weight loss that got me started on the right track. Although I have had some weight gain, I remain considerably lighter than I used to be, and I have developed a taste for low carb foods. I do not use LCHF diet advocated by many on forum, because I want to lose weight quicker than that would allow. That will be something I will follow when I am nearer my correct weight. A fair way to go yet. I think being free of diabetes BG levels encourages me to stay on track, but have had blips. One following immobility due to having 2 major operations, another when I foolishly started testing limits on how much carb food I could consume without spiking BG. There was no effect on BG, but I put weight on, and found it difficult to stop eating high carb, addictive foods.

I appreciate you not saying 'well done'. I too find it intrusive when other people, sometimes casual acquaintances, comment on my appearance. Like you I wonder why they feel it is something I have 'achieved' when I have lost weight, and say nothing if I gain. I wonder what they must think of the fat me. However, I have come to realise that the only opinion of me that matters is my own opinion. There are all sorts of reasons why I have harmed myself with food. I may never fully control the reasons, but right now I am 'owning' my own health. To do this I have read, reflected, accepted that I cannot change the past, learned to be a bit kinder to myself, and to look after my body better, as I have so much I still want to achieve. We are of a similar age, and you describe some similar experiences and emotions. I really do hope that you too are soon going to be able to find the right way to conquer your health issues, both physical and emotional.

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Golly, this is an old thread that I had forgotten about. Here follows an update if you are interested (it could take a bit of reading).

I finally got the psych consult and I think I saw her twice, maybe three times. To be honest it wasn't as helpful as I had hoped, her focus was more to assess if I was realistic about what weight loss surgery could achieve rather than help me to build strategies to avoid old habits. I guess it was useful in that it caused me to think back through the roller coaster in some depth. I was added to the waiting list for surgery February 2015.

At the end of April my leg became infected again which rapidly became very dangerous. I developed sepsis which resulted in an acute kidney injury (AKI) and was hospitalised until the middle of June. I also got a date for the bariatric surgery for July. There was no way I was either well enough or willing to go back into hospital so declined the surgery. My husband had been very scared by how ill I had been so now wanted us to work together for me to lose weight. It was the first time he had viewed it as our problem rather than something I had done to myself so it was great that he was finally on my side rather than vaguely disapproving. I decided to eschew any low fat products and my diabetes went into remission. I had quite a good start to weight loss after being so ill so it all went well for a few months then I stopped losing and started putting it back on again so I asked to be re-referred, this time with the full support of my OH. It turned out I had an under active thyroid which probably added to the weight regain.

First appointment May 2016, listed for surgery in October. Surgery came through for 9th January. So overall quite a long drawn out process but the delay did mean I had the right support and my head was in a good place. I was fully motivated, all systems go.

I went for surgery on the 9th - and the 10th and the 11th as they had knicked my bowel. 6 days in ICU (with scary hallucinations) and a total of three weeks in hospital. I ended up with open surgery and the wound got infected so the wound refused to heal and I developed a stitch sinus. A further operation to fix this at the beginning of September and now the wound if finally healing, hopefully it will be done by Christmas. They will fix the hernia that has arisen some time next year. I don't do things by halves!

Even without the complications bariatric surgery is not an easy fix. Learning how to eat again for the first couple of months is tough! However, I can now eat more or less anything I choose, and I seem to have naturally chosen a version of LCHF plus I've lost 53kg so far and feel that I've got my life back.

If anyone out there is considering weight loss surgery and has any questions fire away!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Golly, this is an old thread that I had forgotten about. Here follows an update if you are interested (it could take a bit of reading).

I finally got the psych consult and I think I saw her twice, maybe three times. To be honest it wasn't as helpful as I had hoped, her focus was more to assess if I was realistic about what weight loss surgery could achieve rather than help me to build strategies to avoid old habits. I guess it was useful in that it caused me to think back through the roller coaster in some depth. I was added to the waiting list for surgery February 2015.

At the end of April my leg became infected again which rapidly became very dangerous. I developed sepsis which resulted in an acute kidney injury (AKI) and was hospitalised until the middle of June. I also got a date for the bariatric surgery for July. There was no way I was either well enough or willing to go back into hospital so declined the surgery. My husband had been very scared by how ill I had been so now wanted us to work together for me to lose weight. It was the first time he had viewed it as our problem rather than something I had done to myself so it was great that he was finally on my side rather than vaguely disapproving. I decided to eschew any low fat products and my diabetes went into remission. I had quite a good start to weight loss after being so ill so it all went well for a few months then I stopped losing and started putting it back on again so I asked to be re-referred, this time with the full support of my OH. It turned out I had an under active thyroid which probably added to the weight regain.

First appointment May 2016, listed for surgery in October. Surgery came through for 9th January. So overall quite a long drawn out process but the delay did mean I had the right support and my head was in a good place. I was fully motivated, all systems go.

I went for surgery on the 9th - and the 10th and the 11th as they had knicked my bowel. 6 days in ICU (with scary hallucinations) and a total of three weeks in hospital. I ended up with open surgery and the wound got infected so the wound refused to heal and I developed a stitch sinus. A further operation to fix this at the beginning of September and now the wound if finally healing, hopefully it will be done by Christmas. They will fix the hernia that has arisen some time next year. I don't do things by halves!

Even without the complications bariatric surgery is not an easy fix. Learning how to eat again for the first couple of months is tough! However, I can now eat more or less anything I choose, and I seem to have naturally chosen a version of LCHF plus I've lost 53kg so far and feel that I've got my life back.

If anyone out there is considering weight loss surgery and has any questions fire away!
Oh wow! What a time you have had. Good to know life is improving now for you.
I wonder if member @ickihun would be interested reading your experiences.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

My godness! What an experience. Is this unusual or typical. Please PM to tell me which surgeon you had and where. I'm very interested.
What an expeeience. Im flabbergasted how bad it went!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Janice2209 I forgot to ask.... has your diabetes improved alot? Are you back in remission?

Or are bgs getting out of hand again? Any diabetes meds now or are you finally med free.....til further notice?
I bet diabetes consultant is delighted with hba1c since op?

Was it explained the reason for your underactive thyroid?

Mine has been noted to have an improved tsh due to a better diet. Although im not convinced my tsh is as good as it was on my last batch of blood tests. My weight loss is struggling again but I dropped breakfast but picking up diet again. Just restock food cupboards again.
In fact just out from dietician for bariatric surgery ..... weight loss has stalled but im not too concerned. Im feeling confident for more than my so far 4st loss.

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My godness! What an experience. Is this unusual or typical. Please PM to tell me which surgeon you had and where. I'm very interested.
What an expeeience. Im flabbergasted how bad it went!
I will attempt to PM you later, but this is incredibly rare and I still have complete faith in the surgeon.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've decided to avoid the few bariatric forums, so far.

I think I'll join one if I decide to hear more bad experiences. (Of course, good ones too).

I've been awake all night after a nightmare. I saw one of the eat well session girls die in front of me. I'm left very very upset. Cannot get back to sleep.

I have no choice. I have to have this surgery.....if I want to see grandchildren and live a longer life.
I nearly died last winter.......never again will my weight cause such worry for my family, nor me.

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about the nightmare.

You asked some other questions that I haven't answered. I'm not on any diabetic meds. My bg has been at normal levels since 2015, so before the bypass. I've never seen a diabetic consultant. The reason for my underactive thyroid has never been explored or explained, although I shall ask my GP about the role of oestrogen as now I have lost weight the levels will have changed.

As far as I am aware I am the only bariatric patient at the hospital who has been returned to theatre. The surgeon has been very open about what happened and I am confident that all the other issues are consequences of that retraction tool damaging the bowel. My bypass was funded by the NHS.

This has been life changing for me so even with all the complications I don't regret the decision to have surgery.

A 4 stone loss on your own is very impressive. The key is being able to sustain losses in the long term, which I wasn't able to do.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry to hear about the nightmare.

You asked some other questions that I haven't answered. I'm not on any diabetic meds. My bg has been at normal levels since 2015, so before the bypass. I've never seen a diabetic consultant. The reason for my underactive thyroid has never been explored or explained, although I shall ask my GP about the role of oestrogen as now I have lost weight the levels will have changed.

As far as I am aware I am the only bariatric patient at the hospital who has been returned to theatre. The surgeon has been very open about what happened and I am confident that all the other issues are consequences of that retraction tool damaging the bowel. My bypass was funded by the NHS.

This has been life changing for me so even with all the complications I don't regret the decision to have surgery.

A 4 stone loss on your own is very impressive. The key is being able to sustain losses in the long term, which I wasn't able to do.
Thank you @Janice2209 . Your posts have definitely gave food for thought. Also reassuring no other patients (diabetic and none diabetic) returned to theatre, you are aware of.
I'm off to get out for an appointment but would like to return to the thread.
Very interesting. :)

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Diet and exercise are optimal for losing weight, but sometimes, no matter how diligent a person is, they just aren't enough. When it comes to significant weight loss, the best option to facilitate the process is often surgery like a gastric bypass. Diet and exercise are still a vital part of the process. They just get a boost from a procedure designed to help you eliminate up to 80% of your excess weight. The decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery is not one you should take lightly. It can be a lengthy process, especially to get insurance approval. Before you begin, here are some tips from Real Self doctors and community members that might help you on your way.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm still ploughing ahead. Seeing dietican on 21st december. I've lost since last appointment even thou I've had chocolates and sausage rolls this Christmas. I don't eat anything like I used to. This liver shrinking diet is going to be soo full of carbs!!! :(

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The liver shrinking diet is only done for the week or two immediately before surgery. The purpose is to shrink the liver to make lifting the liver out of the way possible and not for weight loss. Different hospitals have different regimes and you should follow whatever their recommendations are. Mine was two weeks of two litres of skimmed milk a day.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The liver shrinking diet is only done for the week or two immediately before surgery. The purpose is to shrink the liver to make lifting the liver out of the way possible and not for weight loss. Different hospitals have different regimes and you should follow whatever their recommendations are. Mine was two weeks of two litres of skimmed milk a day.
And you were diabetic at that time too? Remind me again, were you are and are you still on insulin?
I will follow their liver shrinking diet and my diabetes team is going to help me do insulin to suit. Which may be more than what i normally take as i dont take many carbs to keep my insulin need down.
I wonder what mine will be. Someone said yogurt but not fruit ones and milk. I know Sunderland has one for diabetics and one for none diabetics.
Like you they won't tell me exactly. Mind u i havent seen my surgeon yet.

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
And you were diabetic at that time too? Remind me again, were you are and are you still on insulin?
I will follow their liver shrinking diet and my diabetes team is going to help me do insulin to suit. Which may be more than what i normally take as i dont take many carbs to keep my insulin need down.
I wonder what mine will be. Someone said yogurt but not fruit ones and milk. I know Sunderland has one for diabetics and one for none diabetics.
Like you they won't tell me exactly. Mind u i havent seen my surgeon yet.

I have never been on insulin, I am T2 diabetic and have been in remission since April 2015, up until then I was on 500mg metformin daily.

Oh, I’ve just noticed that the avatar says I am an insulin dependent T2. That is not true and I can’t find how to change it.

I’m sure your bariatric team is very used to managing people with diabetes. Why don’t you give the nurse a ring?

Last edited:

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you say the liver shrinking diet is going to be so full of carbs? That is not the case for any that I’ve come across. They are usually very low calorie and very low carb.