Weight Loss, Toning Up And Suggestions

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I am a Type One diabetic and looking for some advice. I do Lindy Hop (1940s Dancing) twice a week and really enjoying it, but find I am not as fit as I used to be.

I'm looking to reduce my weight by around a stone (I eat healthy) and tone up the top half of my body. Has anyone got any advice on what I could do to help me with my goals?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say "Eat healthy" can you describe what your diet actually looks like?

Healthy weight loss is the product of disclipine in the kitchen rather than in the gym. Exercising is certainly important but there is a saying that goes "You can't outrun a poor diet."

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say "Eat healthy" can you describe what your diet actually looks like?

Healthy weight loss is the product of disclipine in the kitchen rather than in the gym. Exercising is certainly important but there is a saying that goes "You can't outrun a poor diet."

Hey

Thanks for the reply, all my meals include either salad or veg, meat, low fat products when available but my meals are always a portion size that isn't big as I'm not a big eater.

I have never joined a gym and do as much dancing as possible and home exercises.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Lindy01 , I love the sound of the dancing!

For the last three weeks I've been doing some strength and conditioning work with a personal trainer. I'm trying to build up my strength after a running injury (the aim being that when I'm finally back running I don't hurt myself again!) and with adding the two sessions with the trainer to my 3-4 times a week swimming (I only do 400 metres or so) I'm finding I'm already very much stronger and fitter.

Mind you I have gained weight rather than lost it - I've put on quite a bit of bulk. I haven't been trying to lose weight, mind. I'm a very broad-shouldered just-over-6ft slim female with an ever-more Stallonesque neck...............

I'm a member of the gym anyway and as it's so close I swim there often. I can fit in the training around my work (I get the trainer one-to-one for 30 minutes twice a week, but I make sure my warm-up and cool-down time is my own time either side of that, and it's surprisingly affordable and achievable in terms of building my fitness and enjoying myself).

I've only ever achieved reliable weight loss from changing my diet. Since I reduced my carb intake (and my insulin doses to match) I have found it much more straightforward to maintain a very stable weight, and am not getting so many hypos. Lunch today was a ham, mushroom, cream cheese and cheddar omelette with a massive green salad. Stuffed is an understatement!

For toning I can definitely recommend some work in the gym with weights. I have toned up dramatically in a very short time.

Enjoy the ride!

:)

Reactions: Lindy01

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lindy01 , I love the sound of the dancing!

For the last three weeks I've been doing some strength and conditioning work with a personal trainer. I'm trying to build up my strength after a running injury (the aim being that when I'm finally back running I don't hurt myself again!) and with adding the two sessions with the trainer to my 3-4 times a week swimming (I only do 400 metres or so) I'm finding I'm already very much stronger and fitter.

Mind you I have gained weight rather than lost it - I've put on quite a bit of bulk. I haven't been trying to lose weight, mind. I'm a very broad-shouldered just-over-6ft slim female with an ever-more Stallonesque neck...............

I'm a member of the gym anyway and as it's so close I swim there often. I can fit in the training around my work (I get the trainer one-to-one for 30 minutes twice a week, but I make sure my warm-up and cool-down time is my own time either side of that, and it's surprisingly affordable and achievable in terms of building my fitness and enjoying myself).

I've only ever achieved reliable weight loss from changing my diet. Since I reduced my carb intake (and my insulin doses to match) I have found it much more straightforward to maintain a very stable weight, and am not getting so many hypos. Lunch today was a ham, mushroom, cream cheese and cheddar omelette with a massive green salad. Stuffed is an understatement!

For toning I can definitely recommend some work in the gym with weights. I have toned up dramatically in a very short time.

Enjoy the ride!

Hi @Snapsy

Thank you for the message and all the information you have given me!

Yes Im based in kent and been attending a Lindy hop group for the past 4 years and I am really grateful for the teachers there providing such a good way to exercise and make friends.

I did think about personal trainers but the coat seems to be quite expensive so have resorted to weights and training research I have found online which is ok but hope I'm doing it right lol

I don't mind the idea of putting weight on due to muscle and exercise, but reducing the bottom of my tummy is the aim I'm working towards atm. I've done much research like yourself and have started to carb/insulin dose abit more strictly as many like yourself have said it helps.

Your lunch today sounded great btw :)

If I was to join a gym it would defiantly have to fit around my work but more importantly having someone to train with would make it much more enjoyable... finding a friend to go with you can sometimes prove a little tricky.

How's your training going? It's great to see your enjoying your journey also!

Take care!

Lee

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How's your training going?
I'm really enjoying it! Went today after work - not with trainer but with a mate - and it was really daft because it's very different not being shown stuff and talked through it! I really must pay more attention 'in class' and try to remember what I'm doing so I can do it on my own more successfully..........!

I have no sense of rhythm at all, but a friend is really keen to dance and it might be something to do together - watch this space!

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really enjoying it! Went today after work - not with trainer but with a mate - and it was really daft because it's very different not being shown stuff and talked through it! I really must pay more attention 'in class' and try to remember what I'm doing so I can do it on my own more successfully..........!

I have no sense of rhythm at all, but a friend is really keen to dance and it might be something to do together - watch this space!

It's always different when your left to your own devices, I know because I'm like it with my dance moves so hard to think on your feet sometimes. I'm on day 3 of my weights today and I'm starting to ache to must be doing it right.... or wrong, it's one or the other lol

I think you should do it! It's honestly one of the best things I've done. Where you based?

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you should do it! It's honestly one of the best things I've done. Where you based?
I went to a 1940s dance a few years ago - I was so self-conscious - everyone else was really good and throwing each other round the dance floor.

I'm in Sussex.

Reactions: Lindy01

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to a 1940s dance a few years ago - I was so self-conscious - everyone else was really good and throwing each other round the dance floor.

I'm in Sussex.

I've been doing it four years now and have only just got good at it... just like most things time makes perfect. As long as you have the basic steps and a couple of moves learnt you can dance to a whole song with a good lead.

Me and my wife go to one based in Medway in Kent called Medway Lindy Hoppers. But there are a few in Sussex way too like Home front Lindy hop (cjs) might be worth a Google.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Being the tallest girl in a girls' school I only ever learned to dance backwards, as I had to be the 'man'! We only ever did the polka, and some country dancing which was really difficult. To be honest I don't know how our teacher coped with us - we were practically feral.....
;)

Lindy01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being the tallest girl in a girls' school I only ever learned to dance backwards, as I had to be the 'man'! We only ever did the polka, and some country dancing which was really difficult. To be honest I don't know how our teacher coped with us - we were practically feral.....
;)

I did dad dancing at parties no lie and I was only in my 20s lol if you come to Kent on a Monday or Wednesday you should defo come to one of our classes. Or were dancing at Chatham dockyard at salute to the 40s in September... your welcome to see what were like there and It's a great day.

The polka.. That's awesome lol :)