weight loss

ScottishSte01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Clutter, hanging around(waiting on people to get ready)....lol
Has this happened to anyone else who has type 2 diabetes. Since i became diabetic. I have struggled to put weight on. As i lost about 3st in approximately 6mnths.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I´ve seen more people mention it in the different threats here... but I can´t remember who is was... but is seems some Loose too much... the most common suggestion has been to up your fats even more... nuts and cream and olives and avocadoes and so on

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. One possibility is that you are not T2 but T1? If you were already fairly slim but have continued to lose weight without trying then T1 becomes likely; there are two tests for that. If you have lost weight just thru low-carbing, ensure you are having enough proteins and fats.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has this happened to anyone else who has type 2 diabetes. Since i became diabetic. I have struggled to put weight on. As i lost about 3st in approximately 6mnths.
How long have you gone since diagnosis and what medication (if any) are you currently using?

Have you been testing your BG regularly? If so, are you aware of your average values or even better, your last A1c?

When the body runs with consistently high blood sugar, there is an overproduction of ketones which ultimately result in burning body fat for energy instead of glucose. Developing high ketones in T2 diabetes is rare, but can happen. Going with @Daibell's suggestion of misdiagnosis, if you are actually T1D then it's very possible. A ketone urinalysis test would help see if you're producing ketones, and GAD/c-peptide tests can ascertain whether you are T1D or not.

Other than that, how is your diet? Have you made big changes since diagnosis?

Regards,
Grant

ScottishSte01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How long have you gone since diagnosis and what medication (if any) are you currently using?

Have you been testing your BG regularly? If so, are you aware of your average values or even better, your last A1c?

When the body runs with consistently high blood sugar, there is an overproduction of ketones which ultimately result in burning body fat for energy instead of glucose. Developing high ketones in T2 diabetes is rare, but can happen. Going with @Daibell's suggestion of misdiagnosis, if you are actually T1D then it's very possible. A ketone urinalysis test would help see if you're producing ketones, and GAD/c-peptide tests can ascertain whether you are T1D or not.

Other than that, how is your diet? Have you made big changes since diagnosis?

Regards,
Grant
when i was 1st diagnosed & went 2c the nurse. While I was in with her. The doctor came onto the room a little white after the start of the consultation with the nurse, and remember the doctor telling the nurse. That i was type 1/1.5 then as he was leaving the room. He cheated his mind, and said. Make it type 2. Ever since that day. My sugar levels have not been lower than 7.9 when I was first diagnosed. My sugar level was 25.6 i have always still been kinda tired and still sleep lots. No matter what I do. I have a visit with the nurse today. So i wondered what she will do today then...lol

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when i was 1st diagnosed & went 2c the nurse. While I was in with her. The doctor came onto the room a little white after the start of the consultation with the nurse, and remember the doctor telling the nurse. That i was type 1/1.5 then as he was leaving the room. He cheated his mind, and said. Make it type 2. Ever since that day. My sugar levels have not been lower than 7.9 when I was first diagnosed. My sugar level was 25.6 i have always still been kinda tired and still sleep lots. No matter what I do. I have a visit with the nurse today. So i wondered what she will do today then...lol

Hi there.

Before making further comment, it would be useful to me to know a couple of additional things;

Firstly; your profile states you use insulin. Is this so, and if so, are you on fixed doses or MDI, with carb counting?

And secondly; are you still losing weight, or has you weightloss stopped, but you just can't regain what you have lost?

ScottishSte01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there.

Before making further comment, it would be useful to me to know a couple of additional things;

Firstly; your profile states you use insulin. Is this so, and if so, are you on fixed doses or MDI, with carb counting?

And secondly; are you still losing weight, or has you weightloss stopped, but you just can't regain what you have lost?
It's exactly as you just said. I'm on a fixed dose of insulin and stopped loosing weight, but as you say. I can't put it back on again

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, that's all clearer now, thanks, but more questions. I'm hoping your responses will help other readers too.

How much weight are you trying to regain, and what have you tried so far?

What do you routinely eat during the course of an average day?

My diagnosis was T2, and I have been fortunate not to have too take any medication, so although I understand how insulin works, I don't have personal experience. I did however, get very skinny on my journey to a better place with my health, and found stabilising my weight a real challenge. I then lost a little bit, post surgery, but that really had to go back on, and that was hard going.

But, if you could give us an idea fro the last questions I asked, I'm sure that would help with the responses you might receive.

I feel your pain!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have your urine/BG tested for ketones. This would rule out that as a factor for the "unexplained" weight loss.

As @AndBreathe has said, it's important that you let us know your insulin regime and doses. If you have not yet been taught how to carb count, then the fixed doses you're administering may simply not be high enough.

As you mentioned there was a toss up between what type of diabetes you actually have, we can't quite yet rule out a misdiagnosis. However, to be conclusive on this you would require further blood tests.

Regards,
Grant