Weight more up then down

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am grateful to you all for your advice, I think maybe getting my sleep sorted will be a good starting point. I'm sure my diet is more or less correct but the weight is a bit solid so will take an effort to get is moving. I have followed advice from Bulkbiker and today cut out brekkie and just had coffee, a kipper at about 2pm and then dinner about 6.30. Lets see if a little starvation will shock my body, the ridiculous thing is that even cutting out a meal I was not hungry so it was no big deal. Apart from the underactive thyroid I also had a hip replacement 18 months ago so it keeps my dog walking down to about 2.5 miles in muddy weather ( slippery underfoot) but fingers crossed it will all work out in the end as it is more than just a diet, it is to avoid the big D to I have no option but to continue.

There was a BBC programme looking at sleep (last week I think) which showed that people with poor sleep absorbed more energy from their food than those who slept well ... Bummer!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having the same problem with weight gain on a low carb diet (type2, diabetic for 17 years, no medication). I am finding it hard to up the fat without the protein in order to eat enough calories. I don't have enough exercise due to other health problems but I am trying to remedy that - walking is difficult. Could do with suggestions about food and can anyone tell me about how much fruit and what I can eat with cream?

I can only tell you what I do to keep fats higher and protein lower in order to maintain my weight and not be hungry. I am careful with the type/ kind of fat I eat as some such as dairy, too many nuts and saturated fats make me insulin resistant and cause weight gain. I go for more mono fats. I do eat lamb a couple times a week but in small portions and I buy lean. I do eat chicken thighs but not the skins and I don't cook anything in fats. Still my diet is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs.

Bf is half an avocado with celery
Lunch is 1/4 avocado with 2 oz protein and some asparagus usually or some other low carb veggie. Sometimes raw bok choy, radish, celery, onion bits all mixed in with the avocado and protein. Sometimes drizzled with olive oil

Dinner is 2 oz protein, the rest of the avocado ( or I bust a new one open) and a small salad with olive oil and sea salt

Snacks are a few nuts or pumpkin seeds, olives, veggies or a spoonful of avocado.

Fat has over twice the calories as protein so your really not getting many extra calories eating more protein. Protein spikes insulin and can raise bs in some people. Profoundly in me. Protein can spike insulin as much as carbs so another reason to watch protein if you're trying to preserve pancreatic function. I still weigh my protein but I batch cook it and freeze it in 2 oz portions and eat 2 a day. This actually works better for me as I have loads of protein options at all times. Then I just defrost what I'm in the mood for and find some veggies and assemble. Less time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning and focusing on food. I get additional protein in nuts, veggies and avocado. When I first lowered protein it seemed ridiculously low but I actually felt much better so I continued and have maintained my weight and muscle. Excess protein can be stored as fat as well.

I don't eat fruit other than avocado. I can't tolerate much without spiking so not worth buying. I eat NO grains or starch what so ever, not even low carb. I'm intolerant to grains and starch regardless of diabetes. They make me very sleepy and bloated. Always have.

I basically eat the same macros at each meal everyday. Not the same food ( other than avocado at each meal) but the same macros. Then I know exactly what my meter will say. Bf is always the same, lunch and dinner I switch up protein and veg.
If I had to say portions I'd say 1/4 cup protein and 1/4 cup veggies and a cup or two of salad at dinner. Then I split the avocado with all meals. That's really all I need to feel good and keep weight and bs very happy.

If your carbs aren't low enough and you eat fat you will store them as fat

Fat IN THE ABSENSE OF CARBS does not make you fat but fat + carbs = body fat. Again, excess protein can be stored as fat. We are all different and require different diets and macros but this works for me. Over 20 carbs and I gain.

Hope this helps