weird smell

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
When I was a child I often got 'a smell in my nose' as I used to describe it to my Mum. I knew it wasn't outside, coming from anywhere, it was inside my nose. And it smelled like Arrowroot biscuits. That's the only way I could describe it. I always got this smell before coming down with something like measles or chickenpox or a bad chest infection. I would also lose my appetite until the smell had disappeared.

nesquick

I suffer from the same problem as you,my wee smell is quite strong even though I keep myself clean down there because I'm also suffer from Diabetic Bladder Neuropathy which means I'm incontinent.But having said that no one has said to me that I smell of wee.I've had this smell problem for years so because I'm incontinent I'm seeing a gynaecologist regarding this problem,so I would advise you to go and tell your G.P to refer you to a gynaecologist.I've also been diagnosed with Diabetic Nephrology (Kidney Failure) only a quarter of my Kidneys are working so the smell could be coming from that.I'm not saying your suffering from that but it's worth getting your Kidneys checked out.I hope that I've been a little bit of help to you and not scared you too much xx :0)

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
dib said:
I know my urine can smell different when levels are high, not sure why, almost like I have eaten asparagus when I haven't!

Depending on how high your sugars are that could do to be with sugar in your urine? I know that can be the cause in Type 1's not really sure if it works the same in Type 2?

Got told that when I was also told that's one of the way's doctors used to diagnose (by tasting the sugar in your urine).
Makes me smile when thinking about some of my pain in the a** doctors.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
There seems to be a strong common concensus of opinion here and if it is so common, I would have a care with your diabetes care team.

Good luck, it cannot be nice.

I haven't experienced this to date.

Mart.

mrsroo

I find as a type1, when my levels are very high and keytones are present, I get a smell that's almost like chlorine when I breath in through my nose, it's like being dunked in the swimming pool :/

jojogirl

mrsroo said:
I find as a type1, when my levels are very high and keytones are present, I get a smell that's almost like chlorine when I breath in through my nose, it's like being dunked in the swimming pool :/

I know what you mean about the chlorine - its that kind of intense smell up your nose, but like a mouldy musty chlorine smell!! :)

woodstar65

Hi
I was so glad to read this post as I have had the same problem. I've googled it and there does not seem to be any good answers. I'm type 1 and I find the smell very meaty. I asked my wife if she could smell it and she could. I've tested my blood and key tones and there all ok.
If any one could shed any light on this I would be grateful.

pauly2323

i have the same problem mine is more at night i seem to sweat very bad even though my bloods are ok my legs are the worse i have lost a lot of weight sine i was told i have that horrible smell in my urine to be honest i just thought it was me i did get a infection in my urine which has been treated but the smell is still awful even though it has cleared up i have been told drink plenty of fluids not pop best way i have been told if you can is to boil a kettle leave it to cool and drink that i have done that and im finding gradually its working sounds mad but give it a try goodluck

pauly2323

woodstar65 said:
Hi
I was so glad to read this post as I have had the same problem. I've googled it and there does not seem to be any good answers. I'm type 1 and I find the smell very meaty. I asked my wife if she could smell it and she could. I've tested my blood and key tones and there all ok.
If any one could shed any light on this I would be grateful.
hi sounds weird i had the same problem i was told to boil a kettle leave it to cool and drink that instead of any water from the supermarkets i have and it has worked for me give it a try for at least a week and see if it works for you goodluck paul devon

saloplass

Hi,
Now I have not experienced this - but my Aunt who was also diabetic used to talk about a pear drop sort of smell???? Any help? :?:

I have been borderline for years but diagnosed about 4 months ago as yet just a stronger smell to my urine than normal - I have been advised to drink barley water - or boil barley and use water in drinks????

Osmond

Thank The Lord I thought it was only me. I smell like that every morning , I have really bad night sweats and even with the window open and a fan on full I still smell like pear drops . Don't know to stop it though. Sorry x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

judexy22

I know well what you mean by weird smell. It is not permanent, but comes literally by waves (from time to time) !

I think it could be the amount of insulin produced by your body when your blood sugar is 3.4 for example.

At times I have been thinking that something was rotten ! I guessed it came from the kidney. I found a way to cure it as follows :

3 teaspoonful of cocoa (I use Nestle) with 2 teaspoonful of sugar in a glass of very warm tea. I drank it twice or thrice daily. That weird smell disappeared after a few days.

I am not a Doctor. No Doctor has been able to tell me what was that weird smell as a residue from the urine. The light pain from my right kidney also disappeared.

I do not know the real source of that weird smell ! if you learn something, please keep us posted. Thanks.

I still drink my cocoa as mentioned above. Feeling also more energy instead of being weak and sleepy with low blood sugar !

judexy22

woodstar65 said:
I have pain in my left kidney also. I never associated it with the weird smell as I have suffered from kidney stones. It could be another symptom.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yes, there could be other reasons ! We are not Doctors and also many Doctors could not figure what it is !

I took the cocoa powder with some sugar for energy and raising my sugar level higher than 3.4. I noticed that that weird smell disappeared after a few days. Now, I keep drinking my cocoa powder with some sugar to keep me fit, not weak and sleepy. No more weird smell and kidney pain.

If Somebody figures out the origin of the weird smell, please let us know. That smell is not permanent, but from time to time.

judexy22

judexy22 said:
I know well what you mean by weird smell. It is not permanent, but comes literally by waves (from time to time) !

I think it could be the amount of insulin produced by your body when your blood sugar is 3.4 for example.

At times I have been thinking that something was rotten ! I guessed it came from the kidney. I found a way to cure it as follows :

3 teaspoonful of cocoa (I use Nestle) with 2 teaspoonful of sugar in a glass of very warm tea. I drank it twice or thrice daily. That weird smell disappeared after a few days.

I am not a Doctor. No Doctor has been able to tell me what was that weird smell as a residue from the urine. The light pain from my right kidney also disappeared.

I do not know the real source of that weird smell ! if you learn something, please keep us posted. Thanks.

I still drink my cocoa as mentioned above. Feeling also more energy instead of being weak and sleepy with low blood sugar !

I WISH TO ADD THE FOLLOWING, TOO : Now I noticed that the burning, tingling sensation in my feet at night disappeared. Skin peeling around the bottom edge of my feet stopped also. Can some Medical People check if the Cocoa Powder with some Sugar could help the low blood sugar with that weird smell, light kidney pain, tingling / burning sensation in the feet at night and skin peeling around the bottom of the feet. It is ok for me now and how it could help others.