1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Well...I had to pretend Diabetes was gone, didn't I?!

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Snootybutnice, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Snootybutnice

Snootybutnice Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I was on this forum a year ago - just before an op where they suddenly took a test and decided I was borderline diabetic and needed it under control before they'd go ahead. So I cut back - I mean REALLY cut back on carbs, lost a stone and generally went super healthy. Then the callback after a few months later was that all looked normal-ish and the op was rescheduled.

So...I forgot about it. Crazy eh?!

Around 2 weeks ago the doctors decided to send me a letter to say they wanted me to test again so off I trotted yesterday. The doctor rang me at home this evening and told me I had diabetes - a 59 rating she said. I need to retest again next week but I'm sure it's not wrong - I've been going on a sugar rush the past few months and feeling ill, tired etc.

So you'll be seeing a lot more of me. It was silly of me to pretend everything was OK. I'm having a stern talk with myself.

• Hug Hug x 10
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A lot of people have done the same. This time at least you know the pitfalls. Dust yourself down and start again.
    And welcome back, even though I've not been here long.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You need to get your own blood glucose meter. Then you will know if your blood sugars are getting too high.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Master

Yes, you've done it before, you can do it again, but your own meter is essential if you want to get in proper control.

Welcome back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Snootybutnice

Thanks Guzzler :)

6. Snootybutnice

Thanks Bluetit - I got one first time around so I'll now be using it again and will be dusting it all off!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snootybutnice

Thanks Art of Flowers - I've tried to be good today and got a reading of 8.9 this evening which is the first reading I've taken. Just eaten nuts, cheese, pepperami, water and a few cups of tea today. As soon as I can get to the shops I can start to buy other foods as want to follow a low carb diet. Thank you :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

You are a lesson to us all...Thank you for telling us not to slack x

9. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In many ways, BECAUSE the diet works so well, it can lead any of us into a false sense of security. After all - if beating diabetes is "that easy" - then surely its not really that big an issue - our body recovered - problem solved.

Its all too easy to let the processed foods/carbs creep back in and the cycle begin again so you are not alone.

I'm sure you will be into the swing of it very quickly :)

10. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Stay away from processed meats if you can ... they're not good. Good on you for the resolve

11. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Well-Known Member

What do you mean by 'they're not good'? Blood sugar wise there's nothing wrong with them as long as they haven't put additional carbs in them, which you can check on the package or ask at the butchers.
    If you mean they're not good for reasons not having to do with diabetes it would make things less confusing if you explained.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook