Well, that was embarrassing....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Went out last night to see The Meaning of Life at the Barbican, followed by a Q&A with Terry Jones. Afterwards I had two pints with my mate, with whom I had gone to see it.

When I got home I ate, but overnight my BS went higher than expected, so I started the day at 12. Having Lantussed last night, I decided to correct, and normally, at 12, 2u is enough to drop me to about 6-7.

But not this morning. I don't know whether it was a combination of the two beers and the low carbing, but I got off the train at Cannon Street and could tell I was low. so I ate some Dextrosols. 2 minutes later, half way along St Swithins Lane, outside the Rothschild building I could feel the very low lack of control kicking in. I ate more dextrosols. And then the low sugar twitch and control loss kicked in and I ended up sitting on the floor with my legs and hands twitching uncontrollably, with a number of concerned people about me. This lasted five minutes, and then the glucose kicked in and I came back. On testing, my BS was showing 1.2, so I've no idea how low it went in that period, but I'd suggest that it was sub-1.

Two things come out of this. One, my correction dose this morning had a significantly accelerated effect. Two, my level at which my brain shuts down while low carbing is much lower than it is when not (my brain is clearly able to run partially on ketones now). <1.2 versus about 1.8.

So while it was a scary incident, no ambulances were called and I was able to recognise what was happening. I'm also finding that the fatty acid metabolism is somewhat different (and perhaps safer) than the NHS recommended approach with regard to how low Hypos are now. I think this deserves a topic of its own.

I think the only down side is that when I collapsed, I seem to have managed to twist my foot awkwardly, and now it's rather sore. Glad it wasn't wet!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My Gosh. Thank goodness you're okay.

OTOH, by the time you realised things were amiss, things were quite advanced ...

Sort of depends on which way you look at it ...

moz1

Glad you ok, happened to me last Thursday when in town with my 6 year old son, when tested bg was 3.8 so must have been rocketing down. Caught with lucozade and dextrosol managed to prop myself up wall somehow but scary! Now know I had onset of chest infection so don't think that helped situation, it took me rest of the day in bed to recover fully from hypo. Honestly thought I was having stroke or heart attack.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My Gosh. Thank goodness you're okay.

OTOH, by the time you realised things were amiss, things were quite advanced ...

Sort of depends on which way you look at it ...

Well, it does depend on how you look at it. I was taking glucose tablets well ahead of going down, and just before going down. It was the vehemence that surprised me more than anything. It was a case of 10g of carbs, in this case, wasn't really enough (it normally is), and had I dosed with 20 or 30, it wouldn't have happened. Everything is a learning experience I guess...

Reactions: 2 people

Kelsie

I hypo frequently the day after drinking despite waking up high initially so I don't correct the morning one as I know my sugar levels will lower and lower throughout the day. Glad your ok

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So my little episode this morning appears to have given me a proper sprained ankle. Not quite sure how I did it but I reckon I just have tripped over my foot as I went down. Anyway, this is the result...

a64677b6a40692deee34bd3dced0e37a.jpg

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you are okay tim 2000s and you were able to deal with your hypo effectively, very scary though. Hope your foot heals soon and is not too painful :). Hi moz 1 I had a similar experience to you so I know exactly what you went through, hope you've been okay since :):)

Reactions: 4 people

moz1

Glad you are okay tim 2000s and you were able to deal with your hypo effectively, very scary though. Hope your foot heals soon and is not too painful :). Hi moz 1 I had a similar experience to you so I know exactly what you went through, hope you've been okay since :):)
Must admit it has knocked my confidence taking the kids out on my own! Unlike me as I have worked all over the world travelling on my own and never gave it a second thought.