We're all in the same boat, but T1 is not T2!

sd29

I'm going to see the family and as the only T1, I'm going to face the barrage of 'Can you eat that?' (Adult diagnosis) And 'I don't know how you do it' and 'so and so is now T1 and needs jabs when she was T2'. No. No, they aren't T1 now. They are T2 on
Insulin. I have a different condition with the same name. I have to inject or I go into DKA and will drink the entire feeder reservoir dry upsetting the neighbours and creating a hosepipe ban. I can eat what I like within reason and am encouraged to do so as I need feeding up.

This follows my friend stating she's cutting out sweet things from her diet now she's pregnant as she doesn't want a diabetic baby. Nice. It seems you can now grow us in utero. A new dimension to designer babies, let's groe our number to generate an insulin dependent army - we shall conquer the world as long as we have jelly babies on hand...

Why does it bother me to have the distinction between the types recognised? I think it's because I am fed up of being advised spiralling could cure me, I should give up carbs and that people don't bother to distinguish that my pancreas is trying to kill me

Reactions: 7 people

sd29

Spirallina could cure. Not spiralling. Unless you know differently! And I posted prematurely. The question is, am I right to feel so indignant and frustrated that my condition is used as a whipping post and a benchmark judgement that I have somehow caused my own fate by my own hands? I feel so sorry for T2s, and the blame game.

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Mmm must try spiralina - I am type 1 and a mate told me to drink aloe vera juice as it would help cure my diabetes, she works for a pyramid marketing company which is complete and utter BS !! I feel your pain, it makes me mad too, my mother in law treats me like I am a type 2 and am sick of being told what I can and can't eat, including drinking champagne (only had 2 sips as gets me tipsy anyway !!)

I still cannot stand the upset it causes between type 1's and type 2's simply because we both have a blood glucose disorder however this is where the similarity ends - the differences are endless but it still means we get treated the same. I heard a funny quote the other day about sending a type 1 and type 2 into the woods for a week, the type 2 would be cured but the type 1 would be dead, I think that says it all..

Reactions: 20 people

gotsomeold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think discussions about food choices are fascinating. But it is terribly impolite (and downright wrong) to question or contradict anyone's dietary choices. Throw life- or health-threatening conditions into the mix and I vote for let each of us take care of ourselves.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol
I feel your pain!
The thing is, you find ignorant people everywhere.

If you had MS they would be telling you about the latest wacky macrobiotic diet (I actually know someone who claims to have had his MS in remission for 20 years due to macrobiotic eating, and I don't disbelieve him, I just object to him telling everyone, including me, a T2, that a diet based around brown rice will cure EVERYTHING)

And if you had cancer they would be telling you about every Daily Mail miracle cure for the last 10 years.

About once every 3 weeks I get an envelope through the post from my mother filled with these kind of things. In the last year, these newspaper and magazine cuttings have advised me to avoid all fat, eat coconut oil, avoid the sun, mainline VitD3, B12, only ever buy the best supplement brands (also the most expensive, of course), use a mystic pyramid to protect the house from negative magnetic fields (I received one of those for Xmas), re-program my DNA with specially charged vibrational water, imported from the USA, take advanced driving lessons, treat the dogs with herbal flea treatments, and Bio-dynamically... um... to be honest, I didn't read that one.

It is depressing, but I don't think it is about diabetes, I think it is just people being gaumless in a vaguely wellmeaning 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' way.

And in all honesty, some of those suggestions are good (Vit D is making a difference to me, and advanced driving is ALWAYS a good idea), and some are downright silly/offensive. But she's my mum, and I know that she means well. It genuinely distresses her that I have several life long 'issues' about which she can do nothing, but send me newspaper cuttings.

Reactions: 14 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I wish a week in the woods would cure my T2!

@Brunneria, your mum story made me laugh, I lost my dear mum almost a year ago and she was a bit like that with me, funnily enough she never did it to my dad who is T2 also, she just let him get on with it (quite capably I should add) it must be a mother child thing!

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I agree we are all in the same boat!
But as Brunneria has posted she has T2 but also RH.
But her RH is different to mine!
And there is difference in all groups within the diabetic family, but I'm not diabetic!
But along with everyone else, I have a blood glucose imbalance and insulin production imbalance.
Every patient under the blood glucose disorder umbrellas is different and treatment should be tailored to suit them!
But the overriding bottom line is that eating high levels of carbs and sugar will eventually lead to many complications!

alaska

I wish they'd change the name of diabetes too.

'Diabetes' means to "pee like a syphon". Thanks, actually I don't go around peeing like a garden sprinkler because I'm well enough controlled not to.

'Type 1 diabetes' could be relabeled 'autoimmune beta cell disease' or ABCD for short :) -I'd take that.

'Type 2 diabetes' could be relabeled something like 'insulin resistance disease' -any better suggestions?

Reactions: 12 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mmm must try spiralina - I am type 1 and a mate told me to drink aloe vera juice as it would help cure my diabetes, she works for a pyramid marketing company which is complete and utter BS !! I feel your pain, it makes me mad too, my mother in law treats me like I am a type 2 and am sick of being told what I can and can't eat, including drinking champagne (only had 2 sips as gets me tipsy anyway !!)

I still cannot stand the upset it causes between type 1's and type 2's simply because we both have a blood glucose disorder however this is where the similarity ends - the differences are endless but it still means we get treated the same. I heard a funny quote the other day about sending a type 1 and type 2 into the woods for a week, the type 2 would be cured but the type 1 would be dead, I think that says it all..

I love walking in the woods................ well I did :nailbiting:

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wish they'd change the name of diabetes too.

'Diabetes' means to "pee like a syphon". Thanks, actually I don't go around peeing like a garden sprinkler because I'm well enough controlled not to.

'Type 1 diabetes' could be relabeled 'autoimmune beta cell disease' or ABCD for short :) -I'd take that.

'Type 2 diabetes' could be relabeled something like 'insulin resistance disease' -any better suggestions?

Pancreas Is Seriously Sick...................;):)

Reactions: 18 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not so sure that there needs to be any further distinction, no matter how you word the 'types' they'll always be confusion among the general public.

At the end of the day we all have diabetes and are fighting the same fight............

Reactions: 12 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
About once every 3 weeks I get an envelope through the post from my mother filled with these kind of things. In the last year, these newspaper and magazine cuttings have advised me to avoid all fat, eat coconut oil, avoid the sun, mainline VitD3, B12, only ever buy the best supplement brands (also the most expensive, of course), use a mystic pyramid to protect the house from negative magnetic fields (I received one of those for Xmas), re-program my DNA with specially charged vibrational water, imported from the USA, take advanced driving lessons, treat the dogs with herbal flea treatments, and Bio-dynamically... um... to be honest, I didn't read that one.

My mum does the same, but bless her she's got pretty clued up on it all now and it's nice when she does send me stuff or tell me stuff as it reminds me of how much she cares :happy:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not so sure that there needs to be any further distinction, no matter how you word the 'types' they'll always be confusion among the general public.

At the end of the day we all have diabetes and are fighting the same fight............
I'm not!

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think discussions about food choices are fascinating. But it is terribly impolite (and downright wrong) to question or contradict anyone's dietary choices. Throw life- or health-threatening conditions into the mix and I vote for let each of us take care of ourselves.
I'm sorry but I don't agree. Many come onto the forum for advice and support and many of us do our best to help. If you don't want anyone to question or comment on your choices what do you want from the forum?

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This mirrors my own experience so well I don't know whether to laugh or cry, maybe both? I'm also the only T1 in the family with several T2s all saying blah blah you can't eat that. I mean, how hard is it to do some searching on the internet? Seriously! Just today someone told me there friend is now T2 because they are on insulin, the stupidity of some people will never cease to amaze me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

But that's just because you're a bloomin' awkward old scouser! :D:D

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm sorry but I don't agree. Many come onto the forum for advice and support and many of us do our best to help. If you don't want anyone to question or comment on your choices what do you want from the forum?
I agree with you but I think the person was referring to family and friends outside the forum. In that context, I agree with them, as I have never asked family and friends for advice on T2, but I do ask the forum, so it's ok that forum members respond.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Robbity

True lol but he does have very good taste in music :D ( alert, alert, I am not deliberately derailing thread:) )

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Robbity

Don't be mistaken,
Dont be misled,
We are not scousers!