We're all in the same boat, but T1 is not T2!

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Yes, surely the obvious thing to do is simply ask the person which type? It's not hard!

It scares me a bit because who knows who else will get it wrong. When I was in hospital I had to tell more than one person I had Type 1. Now that diabetes is so common, you'd think there'd be refresher courses for HCPs or something.
Yes, the opposite happens too, when paramedics see my insulin/diabetes card or dog tags and when in hospital it's assumed I am T1 but I am T2 on insulin. Stereotypes abound in the NHS.

Reactions: 4 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the opposite happens too, when paramedics see my insulin/diabetes card or dog tags and when in hospital it's assumed I am T1 but I am T2 on insulin. Stereotypes abound in the NHS.

Why doesn't it say type 2 on your alerts? Or do they not read that part?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I believe you, but I don't understand why a T2 would have an issue with people with T1. I would be interested in learning about this. I think it's pathetic, like @mrspuddleduck said, that some in the two groups have issues with the other group. I have nothing but compassion for T1s, as I believe most people on this forum do.
Baffles me too. The more I learn about diabetes and people's attitudes towards it shocks me.

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Why doesn't it say type 2 on your alerts? Or do they not read that part?
Well the card is from Lilly the manufacturer of my insulin and the dog tags are generic but I have my name and type on the second tag. This can and has been missed.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That is ridiculous! As others have said T1 children do grow up........or do they become T2 when they are old enough? Unbelievable. :mad: Such poor care and such poor logic too.
Are you sure? I thought they all got beamed up by aliens and cured. ;)

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well the card is from Lilly the manufacturer of my insulin and the dog tags are generic but I have my name and type on the second tag. This can and has been missed.

That's a shame, sometimes think we should tattoo it on our foreheads.

Reactions: 3 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I couldn't fit it on my forehead, the word MUG takes up that space already! :D:D Putting aside the safety element, I seriously just don't get the rivalry between 'types'. I am actually a type 3c but no one has ever heard of it (including 99.9%of the NHS), and it gets confused with type 3 which is related to dementia. I tend to describe myself as LADA, type 1 or just plain insulin dependent. Im honeymooning so have fantastic diet support from the type 2s, on insulin so fantastic support from the type 1s. As I mention on another thread by best mate is a type 2 and we have ongoing competitions about whose care is the worse! So what is the problem?????? :) Sue xxxx

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn't fit it on my forehead, the word MUG takes up that space already! :D:D Putting aside the safety element, I seriously just don't get the rivalry between 'types'. I am actually a type 3c but no one has ever heard of it (including 99.9%of the NHS), and it gets confused with type 3 which is related to dementia. I tend to describe myself as LADA, type 1 or just plain insulin dependent. Im honeymooning so have fantastic diet support from the type 2s, on insulin so fantastic support from the type 1s. As I mention on another thread by best mate is a type 2 and we have ongoing competitions about whose care is the worse! So what is the problem?????? :) Sue xxxx

There is at least one other person who has type 3c on the forum, but I can't remember who. I admit I really don't know anything about it. I don't understand the rivalry either, they're all bad :p

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They probably would of insisted you are type 2, or, " are you sure, it says here in your records that you are type 2 ?.....................:arghh:

My medical records say that I have Crohn's Disease and chlamydia and I haven't had either so I had to battle to get them removed.

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many T1's are now above 50? How many check their notes if taken in to A&E To ensure you have people aware of treating hypos etc?

Honestly T1 is recignised as a younger person illness... The NHS fail to recognise that us T1's age as well. Despite clearly myself and my hubby clearly tellin my A&E OF t1 some idiot still wrote in T2.

Inly limited records are available at hospitals. Hard copy records are normally nowadays put to large distribution storage centres and collected overnight for outpatient appointments.

If you turn up at A&E as a 50+ year old T1 you need to check that the notes written by the triage professional reflect accurately.
You are considered even more of an oddity if you are diagnosed Type 1 at 55 as I was. I would go as far as to say I was treated like an alien when I was admitted to hospital with DKA, which was what clinched me being Type 1 together with the GAD test. Most of the nurses I came into contact with could just not get their heads around the fact, but here I was living proof. Some even took delight in telling me what I would no longer be able to eat and that how much I would miss these sort of foods being of such "advanced" years. :banghead::arghh:

Reactions: 5 people

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps we should all be branded. I'm sure that's what lots of people would like to do to us when I think of some of the remarks I have had directed towards me. After all why not identify the very people who are helping to bankrupt the NHS through no fault of our own, (that's all types by the way) :)