What’s more important

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am following SlimmingWorld. What is more important- trying for low carb/high fat and keeping blood glucose low or embracing the SlimmingWorld approach and allowing myself rice, pasta, potatoes and all sorts of other vegetables which will ultimately lose me the weight and thus improving my type 2 - I hope

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A whole lot of people have found that by eating LCHF they loose weight while lowering their blood sugars. Win-win and cheaper than slimming world I'd hazard a guess.

Reactions: sally and james

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I used to go to slimming world and put weight on, so to me it was a waste of £5 to find out I was gaining weight.
That was a few years ago.
Personally I would go for low carb/high fat apposed to eating rice/pasta etc.
I find the latter raises bs levels hurrendously.
Also why pay to go when you can buy weighing scales to weigh yourself

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't comment on Slimming World, but rice, pasta and potatoes will put up, or maintain high blood sugars and, because they stimulate insulin production, (insulin = the fat building hormone) will cause weight gain. Low carb, as far as I am concerned, is a win win, no brainer not only for health, but for general well being.
Sally

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Weight gain is one of the symptoms of T2. You can alleviate this particular symptom by losing weight but it will not go any way in tackling the other symptoms such as elevated blood glucose, high insulin production, nerve damage etc.

If you moderate your carb intake then you will be tackling one of the root causes of T2 instead of just trying to deal with the outward signs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for low carb here! I’ve lost over 4 stone on it since type 2 diagnosis in May and my HbA1c is now non diabetic. Win win as others have said :)

Reactions: TIANDB

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most slimming club organizers probably pray for the sort of results which low carbing people see each month.
I was told not to go again when I put on weight every week on the club's diet - but it was far too many carbs. The organizer seemed to think that there was some sort of magic about eating the exact diet - not changing a single thing as that broke the spell and caused weight gain - at least that was her attitude.
How eating twice the normal amount could help to lose weight I could not understand.
Since diagnosis I have concentrated on getting normal blood glucose levels and have lost weight as a most welcome side effect.

Rie26

Type of diabetes
MODY
Hiya - I'm also following slimming world. I've managed to loose 1 stone so far. I'm always eating Haha! Pasta is one of my favourite meals! And strangely enough my BS has improved so much. On average I'm a 6 :) I think a lot of people think hmm how can you eat so much and loose weight? I think the more you eat (within reason) the more your body doesn't feel the need to store food so therefore you loose the weight as your body knows it will get more fuel. Strange how it works really x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am following SlimmingWorld. What is more important- trying for low carb/high fat and keeping blood glucose low or embracing the SlimmingWorld approach and allowing myself rice, pasta, potatoes and all sorts of other vegetables which will ultimately lose me the weight and thus improving my type 2 - I hope

It all depends what your priorities are. Being slim or keeping blood glucose low and avoiding diabetes complications. With low carb you can do both.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for low carb here. So easy to stick to.. it's not a diet , it's a lifestyle choice.
Weight reduced, fatty liver gone and I feel better than I've done in the previous years of low calorie, low fat diets.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Slimming world is focused on weight loss, so in order to achieve stable BG, you will need to fine tune it to keep the carb down, especially as a type 2.....