what a shock!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Those people who know me may have noticed I've not been around for a while. A couple of months ago I went for routine bloods and by the end of the day was admitted to hospital with Myeloma, which is a bone marrow cancer. Looking back, I can now see that I'd been getting increasingly unwell, but in a subtle non-specific way. T diagnosis was confirmed by a marrow biopsy [ not a nice experience!] and I'm now in chemtherapy. The condition is seen as incurable, but manageable. I'm in a drugs trial and they are hoping to get me into remission in one or two 6 month rounds of chemo. I actually feel a lot better in some ways, because there's already been a big improvement in my blood chemistry.. I was told my D would go totally out of kilter, but I'm still low carbing [ and not having much appetite. So I'm still recording numbers around 5. Last time I saw the consultant he was amazed. I havn't even changed my Glucophage dose. I have lost a lot of weight [cancer does that!] and am trying to keep it off. T he biggest frustration is that I've broken my arm, at a lesion in the left ulna and I'm in a cast from left shoulder to hand. I can't dress myself, find it hard to sleep with the cast sticking to everything. I can't even " adjust my clothing" after using the loo. All clothes must be without fastenings, because even with help, I can't do up waistbands. The broken bone is healing, which they thought it wouldn't.They discussed inserting a pin, but the current plan is to let it heal, if it continues to do so. Luckily for me , my local hospital, The Royal Berks is a centre of excellence in Oncology. The Oncology teams are very proud of it.
I've lost all my stamina, but my brave and not very fit other half is coping. The hospital and Social services have stepped up and equipped me with a hospital bed, wheelchair, pressure cushions, canes and a carer who comes to help give me a bath. [ The cast mustn't get wet. We decided immediately that we'd ask for every bit of help we are entitled to. Other half will be able to get attendance allowance only after 6 months and it's these first months that cost.
I dare not go upstairs because of how my wrist broke, so I've had my study turned into a bedroom.
I've bee for an MRI this morning an I'm tired, so I'll say goodbye for now and repair to my recliner, which I bought only a month or so before all this blew up.
Hana

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hana so sorry to hear that you have been unwell I hope that you continue to make good progress
CAROL

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hana, yes I've missed you! I'm so sorry to hear your news. It's great that you have your diabetes well under control though.
Myeloma is a very painful cancer. I do feel for you. You are right though it is manageable. Do you have to go to hospital for your chemo or is it tablet form at home? (My Mum's was tablets) It's a good idea not to go upstairs yet while you don't have the physical stamina, but I'm sure your mental stamina will get you through this difficult phase. I'll be thinking of you, post when you can :)

Suzanne
x

Reactions: 2 people

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
So sorry to hear this Hanna, I wondered where you were. I hope that your arm mends well and that you are feeling more yourself soon. Kind regards xx

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So nice to hear from you Hanna,
Hope your arm gets better, I do miss all your lovely comments, not forgetting Top Gear. (Clarkson)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
You've been missed! Hope your treatment goes great & break heals quickly!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Hana. We've not met before but apart from wishing you the best treatment and the best possible outcome I would like to pay tribute to your calm but undefeated acceptance of your life now. Needless to say it's made me buck my ideas up a bit and resolved never to gripe about things that don't matter and for that I thank you. Just now I'm feeling one lucky diabetic and I'll make the best of it. I've only got a mug of coffee in front of me but here's a toast to you ;)

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

Hi Hana

Really sorry to learn of what you have been going through ....
I think you are really brave and positive ....
What a lot for you and your husband to,cope with , but your fighting sprit shines through .....
You do deserve all the social,care that you are entitled to , help,is needed and am pleased to hear implemented ...
Take care , I wish you a good recovery with your health ...Kat

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really hope wish and pray that you recover fully, hats off to your bravery take care

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Hana, so sorry to hear about your ill health, do take care.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), for me. Finished chemotherapy in August and not back to work yet. I feel for you. :nurse:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alway's had you down as a gutsy lady and you are proving me right. Your spirit shines through everything you write.

Very sorry you are going through so much.

I hope everything works out and look forward to your next post when you are up to it.

Wishing you all the best

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hello Hana
Sorry to hear of your problems - we've missed you. We do hope & pray that you will respond well to treatment.
xxxxxxxxxx
Ian

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry to hear that Hana, you sound as if you have got things organised and I'm really glad to here that you are getting good care.
I hope that OH is managing OK with a bit of reversal of roles.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Big hugs Hana! I have always enjoyed your posts and appreciated your level headed advice. Hope you get back on track soon!

Janiept

Expert
Hi Hana, we have never spoken but having read about your health problems I just wanted to say that I hope you recover fully very soon.
Lots of healing good vibes coming at you through the ether x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear this.

Look forward to having you back with us, when you are ready.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry to hear this hanna, and a broken arm..I hope it all goes well for you.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sadend to read this this morning Hana, wishing you all the best and I hope the chemo works well for you.

Reactions: 6 people