What age were you diagnosed Type 1?

_flynny74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I've recently been diagnosed as type 1 at the age of 42 and was wondering if that's quite a common age to get diabetes?

Reactions: blueflower

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I've recently been diagnosed as type 1 at the age of 42 and was wondering if that's quite a common age to get diabetes?

It's not that uncommon, about 20% of people with type 1 are diagnosed over 40 - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/1-in-5-cases-of-diabetes-diagnosed-in-the-over-40s/

I was diagnosed at 25 and HCPs look at you like it's really weird to be diagnosed as an adult. But it isn't. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, it can hit at any age.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I was 6. On April Fools Day no less! Though my uncle was well into his 50s when he was diagnosed and he lives a full life now :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I was 39 and didn't feel unusual about being diagnosed at that age, my sister in law who's a nurse, was very matter of fact about it and said to me that I was young enough to get on with it and old enough to take it seriously.

Reactions: _flynny74

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was 37 - they thought type 1 but then assumed type 2 until I had the GAD test.

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mine graced me with its presence aged 22 14yrs this year pfft!
The day of diagnosis my blood sugars were 39.7mmols at hospital...
My first question was 'oh, ok is that bad?' Lol

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
Mine graced me with its presence aged 22 14yrs this year pfft!
The day of diagnosis my blood sugars were 39.7mmols at hospital...
My first question was 'oh, ok is that bad?' Lol

I hit my GP with the same question word for word

amyhowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
From what they told me I think it was a near death experience and my mum was single so she ended up getting a lot of help from other family members, I can't really remember much, just a few small flashbacks

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
From what they told me I think it was a near death experience and my mum was single so she ended up getting a lot of help from other family members, I can't really remember much, just a few small flashbacks

Well in that case she did very well, and you're here because of that care. Awesome! Pass on my congrats to her for being so strong and to yourself of course!