1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What am I??

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Neanie, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Neanie

Neanie Gestational · Member

hello - I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced the same as myself, just wanted opinions or advice before I see my dr
    My background
    Diagnosed with gestational diabetes in both pregnancies on insulin immediantly, 1st pregnancy I was normal weight, 2nd I was a stone overweight. In 2nd pregnancy I was diagnosed early as felt ill and found sugars really high, I struggled with hypos all pregnancy, my consultant said that he thought I that I perhaps had diabetes before hand due to issues but hba1c came ok. Tested after pregnancy and given all clear, last year had a fasting check up and came up borderline, around 6 if I remember, I just tested recently as a check, they are now in 7s at least first thing in morning, I also by chance tested after morning exercise and it goes up to 9s or 10s. I have tested after food but tend not to have issues blood sugars tend to be sitting around the same ( 7s) and the only spikes are in the morning or after exercise. I’m going to book an appointment with my gp but wondered if I’ll get diagnosed with type 2 based just on my fasting levels, why is it I only seem to have issues in the morning? Any advice would be appreciated, apologies for the long post!

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi Neanie, you can just have a fasting/morning higher levels and it one of the way prediabetes starts.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/impaired-fasting-glycemia.html.

My surgery no longer diagnosis just on fasting tests alone, most seem in the last year to focus on HBA1C.

When you were borderline last what did your medical team decide you should do?

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Hi,

We can't diagnose you. Only your doctor can do that. However, you need to show him your morning levels and when they happen.

Normally when people have problems in the mornings it is due to a liver dump (the liver dumps glucose if it feels we need it for energy) but the insulin your pancreas produces at the same time as the liver dump, intended to keep glucose levels balanced, isn't working properly because of insulin resistance. Your cells reject the glucose carried by the insulin, so you end up with too much glucose still kin your blood stream and also too much circulating insulin. It is a problem associated with T2 but not exclusively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Neanie

Neanie Gestational · Member

Thanks for your responses I’m tracking my fasting at the min to take to my dr, pre meals always with range at the min so hopefully no diagnosis yet but maybe they will help guide me on to reduce my morning levels

5. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

hi there @Neanie
    can't help personally ( being a bloke :) )
    but am tagging some lovely ladies to come along for support
    @claire1991 , @Juicyj , @AmandaD

wishing you all the best !!
    himtoo
    x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook