Neanie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
hello - I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced the same as myself, just wanted opinions or advice before I see my dr
My background
Diagnosed with gestational diabetes in both pregnancies on insulin immediantly, 1st pregnancy I was normal weight, 2nd I was a stone overweight. In 2nd pregnancy I was diagnosed early as felt ill and found sugars really high, I struggled with hypos all pregnancy, my consultant said that he thought I that I perhaps had diabetes before hand due to issues but hba1c came ok. Tested after pregnancy and given all clear, last year had a fasting check up and came up borderline, around 6 if I remember, I just tested recently as a check, they are now in 7s at least first thing in morning, I also by chance tested after morning exercise and it goes up to 9s or 10s. I have tested after food but tend not to have issues blood sugars tend to be sitting around the same ( 7s) and the only spikes are in the morning or after exercise. I’m going to book an appointment with my gp but wondered if I’ll get diagnosed with type 2 based just on my fasting levels, why is it I only seem to have issues in the morning? Any advice would be appreciated, apologies for the long post!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

We can't diagnose you. Only your doctor can do that. However, you need to show him your morning levels and when they happen.

Normally when people have problems in the mornings it is due to a liver dump (the liver dumps glucose if it feels we need it for energy) but the insulin your pancreas produces at the same time as the liver dump, intended to keep glucose levels balanced, isn't working properly because of insulin resistance. Your cells reject the glucose carried by the insulin, so you end up with too much glucose still kin your blood stream and also too much circulating insulin. It is a problem associated with T2 but not exclusively.

Neanie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for your responses I’m tracking my fasting at the min to take to my dr, pre meals always with range at the min so hopefully no diagnosis yet but maybe they will help guide me on to reduce my morning levels

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @Neanie
can't help personally ( being a bloke :) )
but am tagging some lovely ladies to come along for support
@claire1991 , @Juicyj , @AmandaD

wishing you all the best !!
himtoo
x