what are you faves

Greeny79

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am new to all this LCHF and just finding my feet really, after last night trying and failing at my first attempt of oopise bread I thought I would try and get a few other ideas

so what are

1. Your essential things you buy from the shops and make sure you never run out of (food or ingredient)
2. Your 'go to' Low carb meals or recipes
3. Your fave low carb quick snacks
4. Your number one tip.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry your oopsies didn't work out. What happened? I do rely on them as my standard alternative to toast so on my list of essentials is a box of full-fat cream cheese and eggs. Baking powder I don't need to buy so often! I put caraway seeds in the oopsies because I like the flavour so they are on my list too.
Other stuff which I need to put on the shopping list:

Hartley's sugar-free jellies
Double cream
Total Original Greek yoghurt
Dark chocolate, 70% or higher, minimum
Cheese and cheese slices
Cinnamon
Nuts and seeds
Butter
Fish, chicken, minced lamb or beef,
Lots of veg
A good range of spices
Fresh herbs
Organic veg stock cubes
Vanilla and almond extract
Ground almonds
Unsweetened almond 'milk'

Fave low carb quick snacks: almonds, walnuts, pistachios, brazils, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, a square of dark chocolate, a bowl of Greek yoghurt and toasted flaked almonds, a trip to Nero's for their Caffe con Panna - double espresso with unsweetened whipped cream, yay!

Go-to low carb meals:
chicken curry and cauliflower rice,
stir-fry soup - I found this recipe on the low carb diet thread
Peppered ham and cheese wraps
Low carb moussaka and green beans - found this on this forum too

Number 1 Tip - don't know, probably it's to remember that it's work in progress and to take time to find which low-carb foods work for you, help your control and make you feel great!

Reactions: 8 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Never out of; butter, coconut oil, EGG, kimchi, meat & fish or seafood, jersey cream (or double cream), mayo

Reactions: 2 people

Mushroom

1. Your essential things you buy from the shops and make sure you never run out of (food or ingredient) Cheese, cream and 70% plus chocolate.
2. Your 'go to' Low carb meals or recipes. Cauliflower Cheese - sauce made with cream, cheese (again) and an egg yolk to thicken instead of flour with ham.
3. Your fave low carb quick snack. Nuts with apples and any cheese.
4. Your number one tip. Don't try and substitute starchy carbs - bread, pasta etc. Just eat differently.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
1. Your essential things you buy from the shops and make sure you never run out of (food or ingredient)
Eggs, cheese, nuts, lentils, fish, 2.5% carb sausages, chicken, double cream, ground almonds, cannellini beans, garlic butter, cucumber, feta, cherry tomatoes, coconut milk, olive oil, salmon, 70% dark chocolate, truvia! cocoa! baking powder! frozen berries! coffee! earl grey, red Thai chilli paste, peppers, onions, mushrooms.

Thai fish soup, sausage and lentil bake, bean bake

Cheese, nuts

4. Your number one tip.
Read this forum and diet doctor.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I will chime in with the above.

For me it is

- bacon (and bacon rinds for snacks)
- real butter, olive oil
- eggs
- full fat cheeses of all kinds
- nuts (especially almonds but generally all nuts)
- fatty cuts of meet
- cream - the highest % of fat you can get (and by all means: not low fat diary - too many carbs)
- berries (in a moderate amount - if you mix frozen berries with full fat youghurt - and maybe with a tiny bit of artificial sweetening, you will have a lovely desert - almost like icecream)
- vegetables, of course - but beware of those grown under ground, e.g. potatoes, carrots, beets etc. - too many carbs ...
- chocolate if over 90% (yes, true!)

With the 'fat scare' having been around forever, we would always be flabbergasted when we saw grandmother always picking the fattest pieces of steaks and ducks and whatever. We thought she was heading for a heart attack - but she lived to 105. - Now it is me being targeted when asking for more (real) butter and not butter substitutes! (But my lipids/cholesterols are now to dream about).

annelise

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I will chime in with the above.

For me it is

- bacon (and bacon rinds for snacks)
- real butter, olive oil
- eggs
- full fat cheeses of all kinds
- nuts (especially almonds but generally all nuts)
- fatty cuts of meet
- cream - the highest % of fat you can get (and by all means: not low fat diary - too many carbs)
- berries (in a moderate amount - if you mix frozen berries with full fat youghurt - and maybe with a tiny bit of artificial sweetening, you will have a lovely desert - almost like icecream)
- vegetables, of course - but beware of those grown under ground, e.g. potatoes, carrots, beets etc. - too many carbs ...
- chocolate if over 90% (yes, true!)

With the 'fat scare' having been around forever, we would always be flabbergasted when we saw grandmother always picking the fattest pieces of steaks and ducks and whatever. We thought she was heading for a heart attack - but she lived to 105. - Now it is me being targeted when asking for more (real) butter and not butter substitutes! (But my lipids/cholesterols are now to dream about).

annelise
Hej!
Have you tried swapping the yoghurt for whipping cream. Tastes amazing! I got the recipe from a carton of Arla vispgrädde 22 years ago in Sweden . Per person: 100g frozen berries blitzed in food processor with 1/2 msk sweetener till resembling tiny ice crystals. Then add 1dl whipping or double cream and blitz again. Mr Scandi thinks it's the best ice cream he's ever tasted.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Cream, cheese slices, berries, choc (70%), leafy greens, veg, meat, fish, pork scratchings and peanut 9 bars​

Curry, onion bhajis and spiced veg
Moussaka
Stews
Pulled pork
Vast salads with cheese or cold meat
Green smoothies
Berries n cream
Bulletproof coffee​

Pork scratchings, choc, cheese, 9bar​

4. Your number one tip.

Test. Test. Test.​

hornplayer

Bacon
Eggs x lots
Gluten free very low carb saugages
Chicken
Gammon joint
Turkey mince
Prawns
Salmon
Coffee
Red onions
Green things
Aubergines
Full fat cottage cheese
Greek yogurt
Almonds
Tzatziki
Butter
Olive oil

Favourites include:

Chicken pan fried in garlic and butter with a sauce of red onions and home grown tomatoes quickly fried in a little olive oil.

Salmon cooked with chilli or fresh lemon mixed with a couple of spoonfuls of cottage cheese. - Especially good chilled, for lunch. With or without green salad.

Prawns, grilled with egg white and desiccated coconut.

Big slices of ham, spread with cream cheese and rolled up around handfuls of salad leaves and thinly sliced tomato.

Aubergines baked in a homemade tomato and garlic sauce. - Serve with protein of your choice.

Vegetable "nachos". - pretty much any vegetable you like, cooked however you like, with salsa, grated cheese and sour cream on top. ( feel free to add that nasty green sludge if you like.)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Hej!
Have you tried swapping the yoghurt for whipping cream. Tastes amazing! I got the recipe from a carton of Arla vispgrädde 22 years ago in Sweden . Per person: 100g frozen berries blitzed in food processor with 1/2 msk sweetener till resembling tiny ice crystals. Then add 1dl whipping or double cream and blitz again. Mr Scandi thinks it's the best ice cream he's ever tasted.
Takker, Scandi :) . This sounds lovely (herligt).

annelise

@hornplayer - thanks :) - you gave me some very good ideas here with your favourites!