What did you eat for breakfest? Do you eat breakfest?

Do you eat breakfeat?

• Yes

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
You can remove if this is already posted, I've searched but didn't see it.

I am from Alaska and would like to see what other do for breakfast.

I had 2 hard boiled eggs, 4 sausage links, and 2 cups of coffee with sugar free cream.

How about you?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries and a large spoon of milled flaxseed. That, along with a liver dump, sent my levels up all morning.

I changed to one soft boiled egg. That didn't make my levels rise but didn't stop the liver dump throughout the morning. (not enough fat I imagine)

I now have a decaf coffee with quite a bit of double cream. (I think you call that heavy cream). That has done the trick and keeps me level all morning providing I don't do any exercise other than my normal dog walk. If I do exercise I go up again.

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I used to have a full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries and a large spoon of milled flaxseed. That, along with a liver dump, sent my levels up all morning.

I changed to one soft boiled egg. That didn't make my levels rise but didn't stop the liver dump throughout the morning. (not enough fat I imagine)

I now have a decaf coffee with quite a bit of double cream. (I think you call that heavy cream). That has done the trick and keeps me level all morning providing I don't do any exercise other than my normal dog walk. If I do exercise I go up again.

What is a "liver dump"?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't do breakfasts at the weekend as I do intermittent fasting then. During the week I have a one (large) egg cheese omelette. :hungry:

Reactions: AlaskaRon

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a Type 1. I eat a big bowl of cereal with whole milk usually. Sometimes I'll have a croissant instead or something similar.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is a "liver dump"?

A liver dump, otherwise known as dawn phenomenon, is when our livers release stored glucose into our blood stream in the belief we need extra energy. It happens to everyone, not just diabetics, and is nature's way of reducing the likelihood of us having dangerously low blood sugars in times of fasting. It can also happen during exercise, and in times of stress or fear. Unfortunately for some people, the liver is a bit over-exuberant and does this even when BS are at normal levels.

There are hundreds of threads about it on the forums if you do a search, and lots about it on Google.

Lenah_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't do breakfast at weekend or really any days I'm not working. It's spring break right now so I'm not teaching this week or next, I haven't had breakfast once during break.

When I'm working, I usually have a Greek yoghurt plus a berry or a piece of fruit or an egg and sausage breakfast sandwich.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I had two eggs , two rashers of bacon and mushrooms- cup of coffee with cream - this part of being a diabetic I like !
I've always eaten breakfast set up for the day

Reactions: mahola

JamesC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Weetabix with whole milk. I'm just getting used to injecting 20 minutes before I eat as it spikes me up to about 15 - 18 mmol/l after.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a coffee substitute (roast chicory) and cream on work days.
Sundays I usually have bacon and egg.
Saturdays are voyages of free spirited adventure... tomorrow is likely to be kippers with butter.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese omelette, mushroom omelette, granola and Greek yogurt, porridge oats and full english ( Saturday morning only ) breakfast. Variety is the spice of life.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My most common breakfast on waking is always (and always has been!!) a good drink of water. Generally now after I'm up and about I'll also drink some decaff hazelnut coffee with a few drops of stevia sweetener and some no-added-sugar almond milk and/or double cream and/or maybe a small spoonful of virgin coconut oil. But I may (or not) also have any food that takes my fancy from anything edible I have in the house. Sometimes I'll wait till midday or even later before I decide (or need) to eat, so I sort of do some "erratic" fasting...:p

Robbity

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greek yoghurt with berries and tablespoon of flaxseed or granola when working or eggs (poached or scrambled) on seeded toast on days off or w/ends

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes eat breakfast everyday, sitting now having boiled eggs & toast but my usual breakfast is porridge (I'm a type 1).

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most mornings I have breakfast. Usually eggs scrambled or fried with something like bacon or mushrooms.

Occasionally I'm partial to a couple of crumpets topped with mushrooms and cheese. Or a full English (without toast) at weekends.

@noblehead are there any particular brands of porridge which are good? Last time I had it I noticed I spiked into double figures within the hour despite pre bolusing a good 20 minutes before.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@db89 Proper jumbo oats are good (rather than very processed/ground up ones). It sounds like you probably need to move your bolus more in advance though. With Humalog, I bolus 30mins in advane for breakfast.

Reactions: AlaskaRon and db89