What did you eat for breakfest? Do you eat breakfest?

Do you eat breakfeat?

• Yes

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@db89 Proper jumbo oats are good (rather than very processed/ground up ones). It sounds like you probably need to move your bolus more in advance though. With Humalog, I bolus 30mins in advane for breakfast.
I'll have a look when I'm next shopping thanks. 20 minutes has been working for me at lunch and in the evening but I don't bolus for breakfast as much when I'm usually having eggs (getting away with it in honeymoon for now). I will do some experimenting and keep moving it back in a morning by 5 minutes.

Reactions: AlaskaRon and azure

Sadakf

Today started with a glass of water. Went for a walk. Just finished off avocado on wholemeal toast with two fried eggs and a bullet proof coffee.

Reactions: AlaskaRon

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today I had a one minute almond mug cake with about 50g raspberries and a dollop of full fat Greek yoghurt. Regulars for breakfast are unlocked (fresh) mackerel fried in butter, scrambled, boiled or fried eggs and on Sundays we usually have eggs, bacon, sausages, mushrooms and grilled tomato.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead are there any particular brands of porridge which are good? Last time I had it I noticed I spiked into double figures within the hour despite pre bolusing a good 20 minutes before.

Keep away from the instant oats such as Ready Brek as they tend to spike bg levels quite badly. Try and buy jumbo oats, steel-cut or Irish oats as they are less refined and have a lower gi value, I use Flahavans Organic Jumbo Oats which is a trusted brand and tastes delicious.

Regards to spiking into double figures, if after moving your bolus timing you still spike so high then I wouldn't eat them, any food that causes a huge spike isn't worth it IMHO (if bolus timing has little or no effect).

However as a tip you might want to add some natural yogurt to your porridge so see if this reduces the spike, I add seeds, blueberries, Greek natural yogurt (and recently a spoonful of oatbran) to my porridge and I'm sure the extra fat in the seeds and yogurt help reduce the spike.......well that and bolus timing as I tend to bolus around 20 mins before breakfast.

The following website has some great information on the health benefits of oats, if you navigate around the site it also has some other pages discussing oats:

https://authoritynutrition.com/9-benefits-oats-oatmeal/

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a believer in the breakfast is the most important meal of the day theory. Every day I have 1 slice Burgen toast with 2 of the following: egg, bacon, mushroom, sausage, tomatoes; and a cup of coffee with dash of milk. I look forward to it as soon as I wake up even though I have had the same thing every day for over a year.

*Should have written 2 out of the following

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a believer in the breakfast is the most important meal of the day theory. Every day I have 1 slice Burgen toast with 2 of the following: egg, bacon, mushroom, sausage, tomatoes; and a cup of coffee with dash of milk. I look forward to it as soon as I wake up even though I have had the same thing every day for over a year.
I dream about my avocado bf before my eyes even open!!! Yup, love the same thing day in and day out!!

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
coffee and 2 hard boiled eggs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just avocado, no protein. This for 3 days and for 3 days I have reduced my insulin from 2.5 units over 3 injections to 2 injections of 1/2 units. That's 150% more insulin for an ounce of smoked salmon or an egg. Ridiculous. I'm not eating protein at bf. I handle it much better at lunch and more so dinner.

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
2 eggs and 4 sausage links

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just avocado, no protein. This for 3 days and for 3 days I have reduced my insulin from 2.5 units over 3 injections to 2 injections of 1/2 units. That's 150% more insulin for an ounce of smoked salmon or an egg. Ridiculous. I'm not eating protein at bf. I handle it much better at lunch and more so dinner.
@Kristin251 I've really tried to like Avocado but, although it may be could for me etc...., I still don't like it!!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 I've really tried to like Avocado but, although it may be could for me etc...., I still don't like it!!!
Sorry to hear that.

What don't you like??? The texture? There are so many ways to disguise it unless it's the texture. Then all I can think of is a smoothie.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the taste
That can be completely disguised. Hot sauce or spices, loads of basil, definitely salt, lemon or lime juice, pesto, almost anything as they really don't have a taste. They're just creamy.
Smoothies , folded into anything. Your favorite salad dressing.

I love mine smashed with onion, basil, salt and pepper.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That can be completely disguised. Hot sauce or spices, loads of basil, definitely salt, lemon or lime juice, pesto, almost anything as they really don't have a taste. They're just creamy.
Smoothies , folded into anything. Your favorite salad dressing.

I love mine smashed with onion, basil, salt and pepper.

Avocado was something I'd never eaten before I found this site. You talking about it here encouraged me to try it for the fat content , and now I love it (thank you very much :)). I have it every day, just plain, as it comes, no adornments - well, maybe a little mayo sometimes. Think I shall have to try the onion, basil, s&p version.

ps: Never eat breakfast

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocado was something I'd never eaten before I found this site. You talking about it here encouraged me to try it for the fat content , and now I love it (thank you very much :)). I have it every day, just plain, as it comes, no adornments - well, maybe a little mayo sometimes. Think I shall have to try the onion, basil, s&p version.

If you like basil you'll love it. So much more flavor than cilantro. And a few tiny chopped onion adds so much flavor!! I can't believe what a beautiful bf that goes so great with bs. I just scoop it out with a spoon, season and smash it lightly to blend seasoning.
I call it my magical fruit. I have old seen great improvement in all my bloods as well as skin hair and nails. What's not to like!!! Please report back!

Do you eat a whole one every day?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

If you like basil you'll love it. So much more flavor than cilantro. And a few tiny chopped onion adds so much flavor!! I can't believe what a beautiful bf that goes so great with bs. I just scoop it out with a spoon, season and smash it lightly to blend seasoning.
I call it my magical fruit. I have old seen great improvement in all my bloods as well as skin hair and nails. What's not to like!!! Please report back!

I think it's one of the healthiest untainted fats you can get
Do you eat a whole one every day?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops. Operator error again. Or maybe it was just that important it needed repeating. Haha