Claim benefits as I have not done so for over
25 years. Any comments appreciated

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I am not sure you can claim sickness benefits without a job but I have never claimed either so am not sure - go see your local CAB who I am sure will be able to advise you better.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Neil Walters said:
I am not sure you can claim sickness benefits without a job

I did exactly that although it was some years ago before the benefits people got picky. I had an operation on the very day I left my job and could not sign on for the dole so I claimed sickness benefit and got it.

You could go to the job centre and ask. They don't give any form of back pay for any days before your first visit so haste is indicated.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Benefits for people who cannot work

If you cannot work because you are sick or disabled, whether temporarily or permanently, you may be able to claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). Usually, SSP is paid for the first 28 weeks of sickness if you work for an employer. Otherwise, you should claim ESA. Some people get Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance, but you cannot usually make a new claim for these benefits. This is because they have been abolished for new claims unless the claim can be linked to an earlier period of entitlement.

In some cases, you can get Income Support on top of SSP, depending on your circumstances and income.

SSP and ESA are intended to provide an income in place of your earnings when you cannot work. If you are able to do some work, you will not usually be able to claim these benefits. However, you may be able to do some work if your earnings are not more than a set limit. You can also do voluntary work or approved work on an unpaid trial basis. You must get the agreement of the Department for Work and Pensions for any work you do when you are getting these benefits.

If you want to do any work while claiming benefit because you have limited capacity for work, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.