Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I've been a type 1 diabetic now for 4ish years. I'm considering applying for my HGV licence and I was wondering what the mean by "well controlled" My blood sugar levels rarely sit in between the targets but they are never really low either. I'm a pretty active guy so I usually keep it between 8 - 12 and sometimes its higher because i'm lazy lol. but i've never had a major hypo in the 4 years.

Would the diabetic consultant knock you back for having higher blood sugar levels? or is he just making sure you don't go too low to often?

Thanks
Craig K

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Craig, you're a young man. as you know, those numbers need fixing. you may be back in a couple of years asking about erectile dysfunction and spots in your eyes
re d/L is uncontrolled hypo they worry about

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are under 25 years of age, there will be a problem with regard to Insurance.( most companies don't employ HGV drivers under 25s )
I would check out all these various requirements well before you pay for HGV lessons etc;

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
I've already looked into the work aspect and I've contacted some agencies that say there shouldn't be any issues finding work. when you take a look online there is actually a major driver shortage because these companies are being so strict with age and experience required. yes I've heard about all the potential problems but because I'm regularly training and doing some form of exercise keeping it between the levels required causes hypos. I don't want to be having hypos in the gym or while playing rugby or even worse when I'm mountain biking in the middle of nowhere lol

Thanks
Craig