What do we class as Low Carb ?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree his was the first book that I read. When I looked at his diet my thoughts were I can't do that. I can't give up peas as well. In reality I did give them up and have only recently started eating them again (no probs).

I must go back and re visit it.
Yes, myself I'm glad I found Jenny Ruhl's gentler advice for T2s before I read Dr B's book. When I did, at first I was devastated because it more or less convinced me that I needed to cut my carbs far lower than I had ever imagined. Now I'm getting used to the idea.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, myself I'm glad I found Jenny Ruhl's gentler advice for T2s before I read Dr B's book. When I did, at first I was devastated because it more or less convinced me that I needed to cut my carbs far lower than I had ever imagined. Now I'm getting used to the idea.

I'm a Jenny Ruhl fan too. Her's was the second book - after I'd run away from Bernsteins saying I can't do that diet. :) Ruhl's book eased me into managing my diabetes.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I am on 20 carbs or less but I used to always have trouble losing weight, even on a healthy (or so I thought) diet. I ate all the so-called healthy carbs and gained a lot of weight and was told that my sugar was higher than it should be. I went straight for the low carb and have had no problems. My weight has dropped and my BG levels are within normal range and has been for just over a month now. So for me to lose weight I decided to go low

Reactions: OrsonKartt

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a Jenny Ruhl fan too. Her's was the second book - after I'd run away from Bernsteins saying I can't do that diet. :) Ruhl's book eased me into managing my diabetes.
I flogged my Bernstein book on Ebay a month after I got it...Where my head was then, life would not have been worth living.
Then I began to gently get around to the Idea, You tube really helped me. Once I got to know the principles behind what they advocated, it was easier to wrap my head round the whole concept.
I am actually eating lower than Bernstein's 6-12-12, because I do OMAD most days. but when I can't for any reason eat just once, the second meal of mine is a piece of meat or fish.
Anything into my mouth I consider a meal now.
I tested 5.1 ketones two days ago, that spooked me. I ate some Greek yogurt. On further research, I found out that that was quite a good therapeutic level of ketosis, apparently that level goes beyond BG and weight loss benefits.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
useful info for when I get back and have a decent 6-8 week sting before (hopefully) heading to Aus.
At the moment my MFP profile is set to 120 carbs but I am too tight to spring for their premium offering to macro-manage my nutrients. Going to try to stay on that and then work my way down.

Curious - how do people factor in increased exercise in that? As I see it MFP proportionately adds more carbs to my percentage setting the more exercises I do. The only way round it I see is to set my TDEE for what I feel I can manage exercise wise in a week, set that as my preferred calorie intake and then only put my exercise down as 1 calorie to stop it from adding proportionately more carbs. It used to be the approach I first used when I lost a good lot of weight when I first used MFP.