Status
Not open for further replies.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Three threads have now been locked, because of posts/statements that could perhaps have been better phrased (I'm trying to be diplomatic here!).

I joined this forum, as I'm sure did many others, in the hope of getting help and advice about a frightening, dangerous and potentially life-shortening condition called diabetes.

So - what do we actually WANT from this forum - our forum?

To kick off -

I'd like a forum full of information and friendly, helpful people.

I want to be able to ask any question whatsoever and not to be made to feel an idiot if it's a silly question, or self-evident to the more experienced members.

If any of my comments are wrong, I'd like to be corrected in a generous spirit rather than slapped down like a stupid and naughty child.

I'd like to read posts that have been thought about, and which are not just a knee-jerk response.

I'd like to make friends and be able to have a laugh with them.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Viv 8)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Dito !!!

So far so good on the other sections

fingers crossed

Bob

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have met (not personally) and had some fantastic help from people here. Complete strangers that go out of their way to help....and to offer advice....being non professionals and with only our own experiences.

TBH, I would like this just added in somewhere that advice and posts are from people with experience of living with diabetics, but not necessarily professionally qualified.....I think as a reminder somewhere it would help us to remember (and yes I speak from my own run in's with somebody here) that the majority of us speak from our own personal experiences.

I don't want to read nastiness between people on a public forum. Me, I prefer to read advice from people...and then it is up to the poster what to make of the responses.....I just think recent events have taken the purpose out of this forum, and that is to try and offer personal experiences to help others.....

So I would like to see:

1) Only helpful advice
2) A reminder posted prominently somewhere that stipulates a reminder that the majority of us aren't medically qualified, and just post from our own experiences.

I do really appreciate the help that I have received from everybody here, and I take comments from people and moderators and everybody to my heart sometimes...and it does upset me to see things going on here that have so diversified people's attention away from offering help and advice.

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
viviennem said:
I'd like a forum full of information and friendly, helpful people.

Thats what most of us want, but when you have someone coming in here and being nasty (he does this co's he knows people will retaliate and i cant blame them) maybe him and a few others want every section of the forum to become locked, that way none of us will benefit from this brilliant forum and he has won

Sue

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Viv,

All the points you raised I agree with 100%, this was how the forum was before last weeks events and to my mind it was ticking away just fine.

What makes this forum so great is the diversity of it's members, we all follow our own path in managing diabetes and don't force any particular view across to members old and new, I've been a member for 3 years now and enjoyed every minute making some great friends along the way, let's just turn the clock back one week and restore things as they were and continue to support, help and encourage each other on this long journey with diabetes.

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Here here Nigel, agree with every word you say and everything else in the posts above too.

Nothing more for me to add really :D

primmers

I want what viv said.

This forum has been a lifeline for me since getting my diagnosis. I was sent away from my GP with a list of fifteen foods I could safely eat - apples, oranges, pears, peaches, beans, lentils, pasta, sweet potato, sweetcorn, porridge, custard, noodles, All Bran, Special K, Sultana Bran. My common sense told me that wasn't really going anywhere good, the members here helped me find a more comprehensive answer to the question 'what on earth do I eat now?'

I want to continue to have a forum where I can access advice and experience and knowledge. I want a forum where I can offer my experience and knowledge to help folk like I was helped. And I want it to be diverse, friendly and tolerant. How it's been since January suits me fine.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep!!! To all!!!!

hallii

I agree with everything posted, the problem is, this is the web, and we all know that it is organised anarchy. We just have to live with the odd nut case and try not to "rise to the bait".
Past experience tells me if they are ignored they will soon go away.
In general this forum works as well as any others and a lot better than some.

H

raydavies

I agree with Viv 100%.

I do not however wish to see the forum go back to how it was a week ago. Do some people never learn!

Let's move forward with a fresh approach.

Ray

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have obviously missed something but i have met some lovely helpful people on here and long may it continue, everyone has different opinions so we arnt going to all agree but if we just respect others opinions then everything should be fine :D

anna marie

liklejojo

I agree with you all!!

I originally joined this forum looking to learn more about how others manage their diabetes and loved it, I have had quite a big absence from the forum due to personal commitments but since coming back and reading everyone's posts it's great and everyone is so helpful and willing to pass on their knowledge and experiences and this is what I want to continue with the forum, we all face a life and death battle daily, lets not battle with each other ey :D :D :D :D

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Apart from the same as what you all want, peace, tranquility and people helping each other, I would like to see those who used other forums to cause trouble or belittle the members of this forum, banned for life so that they my never ever again have the chance to cause any sort of distruption in the running of this otherwise excellent foum.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, this forum has realy been a lifeline to me .Some times when people have posted things I didnt agree with or some recommendation that definately wouldnt work for me I have wanted to sail in all guns blazing ,but what would be the point .Also it is not always easy to type what you mean without giving the wrong impression there is no tone of voice or body language .Perhaps if someone rattles our cage we should just wait until the shaking stops :lol:
Where there is no fuel the fire goes out. Lets keep this great forum going for all of us and any newbies that may be out there struggling to come to terms with this rotten DB
CAROL

iHs

What I want is for the forum to be a huge help to others who are not sure what to do especially where insulin and carb counting is concerned.

There really is no need for any nastiness and public humiliation. We need less of the sarcastic wit.

I hope that Benedict, Jose will be able to ding a bell if threads start to go downhill and give a polite but firm warning so that people can have a re think. No need for banning or nasty pms.

Everyone play nicely and accept that everyones opinion has a count.

leggott

I want this forum to provide support and knowledge or even just a shoulder to lean on for those people who suffer from this condition.

When my two chilren were diagnosed within day of each other I found solace in this site. I am still grateful for the support of others in those early days. Now I'm a little further down the line I want to gleam from others their knowledge to help me manage my children to the best of my ability.

I try and avoid getting involved with posts which are going down a certain road as my time would be wasted by reading and posting responses to these discussions, when it could be better spent reading other posts which I can actually learn from.

In this post certain users have been mentioned, all of whom I don"t recognise. So I would like to mention some users who are a credit to this site who have over the past few days offered me so much support, not to mention their valuable time. So here's a shout out to Jopar, SophiaW and Donnellysdogs. Thankyou so much for your advice and support, it is very much appreciated!

leggott

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
carty said:
I agree, this forum has realy been a lifeline to me .Some times when people have posted things I didnt agree with or some recommendation that definately wouldnt work for me I have wanted to sail in all guns blazing ,but what would be the point .Also it is not always easy to type what you mean without giving the wrong impression there is no tone of voice or body language .Perhaps if someone rattles our cage we should just wait until the shaking stops :lol:
Where there is no fuel the fire goes out. Lets keep this great forum going for all of us and any newbies that may be out there struggling to come to terms with this rotten DB
CAROL
I could not have but it better myself :)

grh1904

I agree with the other who have posted about this forum being a help to those either with DB or those who live with/care for those with DB.

Although I have been a "member" for a couple of years I'm not what you would call a regular visitor/poster, one of the reasons being due to my work & the shifts that go with it. Once I've got up after nights or the half nights (finishing at 4am on Fri/Sat/Sun mornings is sooooo nice!!!!! :cry: ) I'm usually too busy with my normall everyday life that I can go a week or two where I don't even look at the computer.

I like the wide diversity of this forum - by that I'm not talking about colour of skin/religions/political stance, I'm more on about how DB affects us all in different ways & how what works for you doesn't for me etc. As a busy shiftworker who also enjoys distance running, I have on occasion replied to topics about doing sport or school sports/games when mums & dads on here are naturally concerned for their kids, and want them to enjoy their childhood & not miss out on growing up. If through my own trial/error/experimentation I have come up with something that helps me run 5/6/7 miles, 4 or 5 times p/week & I can pass this onto others to help them maintain better BG's, lose weight or help a child grow up with as much "normality" as possible then that makes me feel better about myself; and by reading about what works for others constantly challenges me to challenge myself about what I'm doing - is it the right thing for me. (Please don't reply to my "normality" comment above to the effect that DB's are/aren't normal, I only used the word to illustrate a point in that DB shouldn't stop any child or person for that matter doing the things they want to).

A friend's child has been diagnosed with DB and I think the information given by their GP wasn't much help. It appears to be the usual; only feed your son this/that/the other & inject him with so much of this at these times. My friend approached me & asked dozens upon dozens of questions, a lot of which I couldn't answer because I wasn't diagnosed with DB until I was 35 and the lad was only 11. The lad had only been on insulin for a couple of weeks (2 months at the most???) when his school wrote home stating he wasn't allowed to participate in games & could no longer play for the school footie team (apparently a bad hypo during a game, everyone panics & calls ambulance). Obviously my friend & his wife were beside themselves with what to do, how to cope, and they were the ones who said to me "We just want "name" to have a normal childhood, and go out & play with his mates. He loves the footie team & has cried his little heart out because the teachers won't let him play".

I suggested that they look at this forum, telling them that there are parents of DB children on here, that they could join ask questions & speak to other parents who have either gone through or are going through the same as them.

I asked how things were going & had they found this forum any help. I got a "Hrumph, bunch of idiots on there, it seems to be the same people over & over either slagging each other off or blowing smoke up someone elses..............." (leave you to insert your word here).

Now, this is the point of my post, (I know it's taken a long time to get here), but here was an oppurtunity for this forum to make a difference. To help educate & inform 2 very loving & worried parents raise their child. In turn they & this forum could help & educate someoen who at the age of 11 is going to have to spend the next 60/70 years with DB.

Like all of us on here, we all have to try different things to find what works for us. Low-carbing, Atkins, Dukan diet etc to name but just a few. Here was the chance to help a family try the different things suggested on here, find one that works for them & help a little boy grow up to the fullest person he can be.

Thanks to the extreme "childish" attitudes of so-called "adults" this little boy's parents are still struggling to find out all the information that is potentially open to them because they now won't look at this site. We all know that DB isn't a one size fits all, and that how you cope with and manage it isn't a one size fits all - it's more of a bespoke/tailor made to fit kind-a-thing.

I don't know exactly what went on and in some respects I don't really want or need to know. What I do know is that this forum should now become the RONSEAL QUICK DRYING WOOD STAIN of DB discussions and do exactly what it says on the tin - a place for those with DB or those who live with/care for someone with DB to post questions & get answers to DB related matters. Where they can receive or give help and support or be supported.

Yes there will always be a difference of opinion, but the way I look at it is like this, I may not like someone elses view, but if I want then to listen to & respect me for having my views, I in turn need to listen to & respect them for having their views.

Right, you can get back to watching Corrie now............................... :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.