What do you eat

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. That looks delicious and I will be trying it very soon.

Jordansmum I was diagnosed with pre diabetes at the end of 2013 and have had so much help and advise from this forum.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb sponge:

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/strawberry-sponge-cake.html

If you want to make it an Apple and Cinnamon sponge, then just stir in 1 large or 2 small chopped apples, 2 tablespoons of xylitol and a teaspoon of cinnamon to the recipe, and microwave for an extra 2-3 mins, until the sponge is cooked.
Serve with lashings of double cream.

Has anyone talked to you about artificial sweeteners?
There are two that are more 'natural' than the others. These are Stevia and Xylitol. You can get both in UK supermarkets. Not sure what the brand names would be in the US.
There are many other artificial sweeteners, from aspartame (yuck) to acesulphame (ewwww) and sucralose (bearable, but weird flavour).

I use Xylitol - for two reasons - it doesnt leave a sour taste in my mouth, and I can use it in drinks/cooking as a direct substitute for sugar. it is so easy.

Reactions: 4 people

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a two egg omelette and a little cheese and a couple of pieces of melon.

That is a perfect low carb lunch.
If you had wanted to feel fuller, you could have a huge green salad or add veg (no potato) to the omelette.

One of the joys of low carbing is, for me, not having to watch the portion sizes. I just eat until I feel satisfied. To start with, you think you are going to pig out and eat too much, put on weight, and the world is going to end...

But the reality is, once the carb cravings have disappeared, you are left with a healthy appetite, and the food is so satisfying that you don't over-eat.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria I agree with this. I eat so much less now I am eating low carb than I did before and am not as hungry between meals as I was before.

I apologise that i am not liking any posts. I am on the I pad and can't work how to like posts. I will go back and catch up tomorrow when I am on the laptop.

Reactions: 3 people

Blaize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can hand on heart say I've pretty much been eating what I normally would eat (minus all the crisps chocolate cake and sugar packed stuff)

Now before I start I have been told to follow the standard nhs diet thing I don't stick to it as quite frankly very high fibre doesn't agree with me.

In the morning I have 2 slices of wholemeal toast (hovis) spread with flora lighter than light and a banana with a mug of coffee with a touch of semi skimmed milk not sweetened

Lunch is currently a salad with 5 wafer thin slices of cold meat from asda currently on smoked ham. 2 to 3 leaves of Chinese leaf lettuce shredded 4 to 5 cherry tomatoes lightly drizzled with a ceasar salad dressing low carb low sugar low fat low salt not smothered just a little here and there and either some melon or grapes with a short glass of coke zero.

For dinner I gave a main meat or fish with either pasta, rice, noodles or 2 small potatoes along with a selection of veg I'm quite taken by the veg fusions by birds eye steamed in the microwave nice and crunchy.

Managing to not eat between meals and drink very weak diluted no added sugar robinsons. I did on occasions eat a bag of unsalted pistachios but those gits asda stopped doing the small serving packs only the salted ones :(

I don't test as yet as I don't want to panic myself but thus far I feel fine.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Blaize

The only way you will know if your meals are helping your blood glucose levels is by testing.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't test as yet as I don't want to panic myself but thus far I feel fine.

Hi Blaize,

Avocado just beat me two it.
The first, and most important, thing I got out of reading this forum was that I needed to be testing my blood glucose. Without that, everything was based on guesswork.

The NHS don't usually provide a monitor for type 2s, but the cheapest one I know of, is the Codefree, available on Amazon. £8 for 50 test strips, £12 for the monitor. Brilliant value for peace of mind.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I had pizza for lunch yesterday. Used socca for the base and topped with homemade tomato sauce, cheese and Pepperoni.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thank you for your reply I am veggie so finding it hard can I still eat things like baked beans? I am really missing bread and potatoes which probably what made this way in the first place.
I have posted up some of my recipes under Scandis recipes. 2 of the recipes are veggie. I used to eat veggie and fish for years. Never did care for meat. Omelette works well for brekkie or eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and a handful of spinach thrown into the pan. I'd ditch the cereal. More carb in that than in sugar! Lunch : full fat plain Greek yoghurt and blueberries. Try tapas style so bits of cheese, cucumber, tomatoes. Or how about carrot sticks and blue cheese dip?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Blaze to be honest if l ate your meals my bloods would be through the roof.

What you feel wont matter to what a meter says from your comments you know there is a problem but not looking means not facing reality.
It is your life and can be long and healthy or do a search in the search box here for Terminal and Scared by Kev.

l found when my bloods started to come down l felt rough but those who know better pointed out my body was so used to running high bg that until l adjusted l would get "hypo" type feelings. l am now fine and am running between 4 and 5.5 pre and post meals

l do low carb high fat / lchf go to dietdoctor.com and also the low carb diet forum on here for all the info you need.

Those of us who lchf have full fat food as low fat or light has sugar added. However l dont think any lchf folks feel hungry between meals.

To be honest l am hacked of slightly as when l started to lchf l bought around £30 of sunflower and pumpkin seeds as snacks they are excellent sources of nutrition...l still have most l am never hungry enough to eat them :-((

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I just made some pasta dough from gram flour and barley flour Will cook it tomorrow. with bacon garlic parmesan and cream.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have been following a low carb/high, healthy fat diet since Christmas and have managed to bring my bg levels right down, lost 30 pounds and am not hungry.

Congratulations on the amazing weight loss. Fantastic!!

I've added more fat to my diet as I was basically vegan but with fish and egg whites as legumes for the most part shoots my BG higher.

Adding the extra fat and animal meat and cheese I gained both muscle weight and a bunch of subterranean belly fat.

I've been forced to start counting calories and food journaling.

How did you do it with the added fat?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Congratulations on the amazing weight loss. Fantastic!!

I've added more fat to my diet as I was basically vegan but with fish and egg whites as legumes for the most part shoots my BG higher.

Adding the extra fat and animal meat and cheese I gained both muscle weight and a bunch of subterranean belly fat.

I've been forced to start counting calories and food journaling.

How did you do it with the added fat?

Hi Runner

I haven't found eating fat a problem. It takes a bit of getting your head around after decades of hearing that low-fat is the healthy way. Once you get over that, it is easy.

I just made choices on a food by food basis e.g. comparing carbs between milk and cream - cream wins. Low fat vs full fat yogurt - full fat wins.

I was worried about legumes at first. I don't eat anything with a face so argued with my nurse that, as my main protein source is also high carb, I would need a BG meter. She doesn't believe in T2 testing so I got nothing.

I have tested myself for kidney beans, borlotti beans, chickpeas, lentils etc and so far so good. If I have a smallish portion (1/4 can of beans or 20g lentils) and eat them with something fatty like cheese, I think that slows the carbs down. The only legume I have problems with is peanuts - but that is because I am a greedy pig when it comes to peanuts! :oops: