What does happen to non diabetics blood sugar, what should we be aiming for?

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Still trying to figure out if non diabetics get spikes after eating and how high they can get... I would assume anyone can get a spike if they eat too many carbs too quickly for their cells to be able to react to... I have found people supporting both sides, but not much from the scientific community... would love to see continuous monitors on tons of people that have passed a morning and OGTT... but I found someone on another forum saying this about the subject... which really confuses me O_O It makes me think the person had a spike before the one hour mark and shot down before they were measured.

"Sorry, a bit of thread hi-hacking
smile.gif
I am a non-diabetic, bmi18-19, active female. My Fasting tests are around 70-80, so normal. OGTT, even with 75g of glucose only took me to a high of 115mg/dl, no spike or reactive hypo. But food gives me spikes from 175mg/dl for just 1 green banana, 210 mg/dl for 2 small slices of toast and butter, and up in the 230 mg/dl if I dare to have a pudding, even without the main course first ! First, is this normal? Second, why do these foods cause these spikes when 75g of pure glucose causes no rise at all, after all banana is only around 20-30g of carb, 2 slices of toast about the same."

I'm going to keep searching for something, anything showing what actually happens point for point after a "normal" person eats... whatever "normal" is... :/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/...-with-a-reading-of-234-half-hour-after-eating
bottom of the page

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
http://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2005/selvin-bloodsugar.html

Johns Hopkins hospital talking about the effects of high blood sugar in diabetics and non-diabetics... Why would they say that if "normal" people can't get spikes or go above the "120" normal...

"The researchers found that Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)—a measure of long-term blood glucose level—predicts heart disease risk in both diabetics and non-diabetics. An elevated blood glucose level is the defining feature of diabetes, but until now it was unclear whether elevated glucose levels contributed independently to increasing heart-disease risk."

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this should be close enough
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:

Fasting blood sugarunder 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

If you can do better than this, go for it. At a minimum, The American College of Clinical Endocrinologists recommends that people with diabetes keep their blood sugars under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) two hours after eating.

Reactions: 3 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the interest of science, have a group of non-diabetic friends consume an identical meal at the same time. Measure their BG level before the start of the meal. Then measure at intervals after the meal is complete until BG levels return to the starting level.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely that is what I answered yesterday.
The links are to the papers on continuous monitoring in normal subjects. There are two with full links and in the second paper there are lots of references and a summary of smaller similar studies but they are all behind pay walls.
Of the two, the first link is to a paper with point for point continuous monitoring with 4 different types of test meals as tested on fairly young non diabetic subjects
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-raise-and-fall-to-glucose.63793/#post-623879

Reactions: 3 people

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
We're getting a storm here in a second so I will have to look at your information after I post this pheonix, want to make sure I get this out.

I finally found what I was looking for, continuous monitor of tested normal subjects, and it's in lecture form, so you get to hear him talk to other medical professionals while his presentation changes!

http://www.diabetes-symposium.org/index.php?menu=view&source=authors&sourceid=49&id=322

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes but if you follow my first link this is a continuation of the same study with more data.

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
That's exactly what I've been looking for =D Thank you so much! I have been freaking out SO much over what's been going on with me. With my breakfast and this data is looks like the steroids didn't mess with my cells or anything! ... but I do believe now that both of my parents have diabetic genetics and WILL continue monitoring just in case. I won't worry so much though... and I've already learned to eat so much better!

I really do apologize for having to make that post so quickly and not having the time to read your post before that. we had a bad storm that rolled in and I didn't know how long it was going to last and didn't want my computer on when a possible blackout could happen.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
this should be close enough
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:

Fasting blood sugarunder 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

If you can do better than this, go for it. At a minimum, The American College of Clinical Endocrinologists recommends that people with diabetes keep their blood sugars under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) two hours after eating.
As a diagnosed non diabetic, reactive hypoglycaemic, this is the recommended standard for non diabetics. Post prandial!
The normal pre meal BSLs level is between 4mmol and 6mmol. It rises gradually until depending on what is eaten and peaks between 30 minutes and an hour after eating, the curve of lowering BSLs will decrease for up to 4 hours when they will normalise at normal BSLs levels.
In diabetics the fasting pre meal level is higher, and the spike is higher and lasts longer depending on the carbs and sugars eaten.

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
So then what are your levels 1 hour after eating say... 60-70g of carbs, say what I ate, 60g of cereal and 10-15 from fat free milk. what happens to you, and how much do you weigh?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have never done one hour post prandial because the fluctuations vary on what you have ate and plate size.

I would never recommend eating cereal or cannot give you results of something I cannot eat. What has my weight got to do with what BSLs do?

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never done one hour post prandial because the fluctuations vary on what you have ate and plate size.

I would never recommend eating cereal or cannot give you results of something I cannot eat. What has my weight got to do with what BSLs do?
That is the whole point in doing the one hour test. Not much point in getting below 7 after two hours if it was 12 in between.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
B
That is the whole point in doing the one hour test. Not much point in getting below 7 after two hours if it was 12 in between.
My Post prandial BSLs drop quicker than diabetics or non diabetics the one hour test is redundant.
The diabetic curve for two hours is more consistent for the same food than the one hour that is why it is recommended in tests.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B

My Post prandial BSLs drop quicker than diabetics or non diabetics the one hour test is redundant.
The diabetic curve for two hours is more consistent for the same food than the one hour that is why it is recommended in tests.
Not testing at all is also recommended. If you drop quicker The one hour would seem to be a better time. I often peak at about one hour. Are you not worried about how high you go but only if you go too low?

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
If your spikes peak is before an hour then test around that time to see where that spike goes.

And your weight matters for three reasons.
1) Blood mass: The more blood you have the more sugar it will take to get your blood sugar to the same level as someone with less blood mass.
2)Muscle mass: The more muscle mass you have the more chances insulin has to interact with a cell and remove sugar from your blood.
3)Fat mass: The more fat mass you have the less often muscle will allow insulin to put sugar into it.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a diagnosed non diabetic, reactive hypoglycaemic, this is the recommended standard for non diabetics. Post prandial!
The normal pre meal BSLs level is between 4mmol and 6mmol. It rises gradually until depending on what is eaten and peaks between 30 minutes and an hour after eating, the curve of lowering BSLs will decrease for up to 4 hours when they will normalise at normal BSLs levels.
In diabetics the fasting pre meal level is higher, and the spike is higher and lasts longer depending on the carbs and sugars eaten.
Perhaps I am not diabetic then. the first (normal) description sounds worse than me.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still trying to figure out if non diabetics get spikes after eating and how high they can get... I would assume anyone can get a spike if they eat too many carbs too quickly for their cells to be able to react to... I have found people supporting both sides, but not much from the scientific community... would love to see continuous monitors on tons of people that have passed a morning and OGTT... but I found someone on another forum saying this about the subject... which really confuses me O_O It makes me think the person had a spike before the one hour mark and shot down before they were measured.

"Sorry, a bit of thread hi-hacking
smile.gif
I am a non-diabetic, bmi18-19, active female. My Fasting tests are around 70-80, so normal. OGTT, even with 75g of glucose only took me to a high of 115mg/dl, no spike or reactive hypo. But food gives me spikes from 175mg/dl for just 1 green banana, 210 mg/dl for 2 small slices of toast and butter, and up in the 230 mg/dl if I dare to have a pudding, even without the main course first ! First, is this normal? Second, why do these foods cause these spikes when 75g of pure glucose causes no rise at all, after all banana is only around 20-30g of carb, 2 slices of toast about the same."

I'm going to keep searching for something, anything showing what actually happens point for point after a "normal" person eats... whatever "normal" is... :/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/...-with-a-reading-of-234-half-hour-after-eating
bottom of the page
I test my wife sometimes and she can have very large spikes depending on the meal. In general though she starts in the low 4s and is back there after 2 hours. Strangely with some meals she starts lower than me, peaks higher and is higher after 2 hours. I can't find a pattern though.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not testing at all is also recommended. If you drop quicker The one hour would seem to be a better time. I often peak at about one hour. Are you not worried about how high you go but only if you go too low?
Yes, of course, but because of my very low carb diet, and my experience of looking for signs of hypos I test at two hours to see if I have spiked too much!
I have to be consistent and I was also advised by my consultant to test this way and I have found the advice very good for my condition.
I have also read that BSLs fluctuate wildly at one hour despite if you are eating the same weight and carb count of different meals.

Reactions: 2 people

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, of course, but because of my very low carb diet, and my experience of looking for signs of hypos I test at two hours to see if I have spiked too much!
I have to be consistent and I was also advised by my consultant to test this way and I have found the advice very good for my condition.
I have also read that BSLs fluctuate wildly at one hour despite if you are eating the same weight and carb count of different meals.
I can't understand my own condition but yours seem totally unfathomable to me.