What happened ?

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Question I need to ask... all week I've had good numbers from 6.4 to 7.2 not watched my diet to much this week, so lunch Saturday was green leaf salad, tomatoes.goats cheese with a little dressing not too much. Afternoon I got an 8.9.! ! started the day 6.4 what happened ? I thought I was a good boy.
I'm truly grateful to the people here giving me some answers

Last edited:

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Well, I've noticed that stress can impact the values. A whole numer of things can, actually. Did you do anything out of the regular? I just recently saw a post about heat causing hypers. Was your post 8.9?

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I've noticed that stress can impact the values. A whole numer of things can, actually. Did you do anything out of the regular? I just recently saw a post about heat causing hypers. Was your post 8.9?
Nothing out of the ordinary, same old day, this seems to happen often when I try to be good and follow a healthy diet and walking the dog, drink plenty of water and follow a good diet then WAM ! numbers go silly.
Diagnosed a year ago metformin down to 1 twice a day as things were going so well but I did look at the effect of the heat and it seems that may be it. This evening a 6.4 all seems to be back to normal.
This happens to me at least once a week good diet normal food then a high for no reason.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you wash your hands and test again? could well have been a rogue reading.. sounds like it may well have been.

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you wash your hands and test again? could well have been a rogue reading.. sounds like it may well have been.
Thanks bulkbiker. Yes did a re-test in case but this happens to me so often. I follow a good diet as far as I can then for no reason loopy numbers.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first thought, too, was re-test as @bulkbiker suggested.

But what was in the dressing? I've found that on the rare occasion I've risked a commercial sauce or dressing, even the tiniest bit of sugar in it can up my levels more than I'd expect, considering the small amount I've actually consumed.

Robbity

PS Just a thought: also check the goats cheese - unlikely but someone posted recently that they'd accidentally bought one containing honey!! :wideyed:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For some odd reason salad ( lettuce greens) spike me disproportionately as well as commercial dressing even if creamy and low carb. I try to bring my own olive oil if I know I'm not eating at home. Lettuce annoys me. Shouldn't raise me but it a.ways does.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I know this one well. Frustrating when you retest and get the same reading. You will have this from time to time as there are too many variables to cover.

Monav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was doing reasonably well on low carb and exercise then everything went kerflooey. But for me I think it's stress. Friends son committed suicide - brought back emotions about my sons suicide 10 years ago. So I've started back on glipizide. Ugh.

Reactions: theoldfunker

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first thought, too, was re-test as @bulkbiker suggested.

But what was in the dressing? I've found that on the rare occasion I've risked a commercial sauce or dressing, even the tiniest bit of sugar in it can up my levels more than I'd expect, considering the small amount I've actually consumed.

Robbity

PS Just a thought: also check the goats cheese - unlikely but someone posted recently that they'd accidentally bought one containing honey!! :wideyed:
Hi... yes it did have honey so I only used a small amount. I was unaware that such a small amount could make such a big change.
For some odd reason salad ( lettuce greens) spike me disproportionately as well as commercial dressing even if creamy and low carb. I try to bring my own olive oil if I know I'm not eating at home. Lettuce annoys me. Shouldn't raise me but it a.ways does.
Many thanks Kristin251 I had no idea that lettuce could give you a spike and the effect of a little dressing answers my question,I thought I was being good. There are wonderful people on this forum with loads of answers.

Reactions: Prem51

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was doing reasonably well on low carb and exercise then everything went kerflooey. But for me I think it's stress. Friends son committed suicide - brought back emotions about my sons suicide 10 years ago. So I've started back on glipizide. Ugh.
Thanks Monav. My brother died a few weeks ago and yes my numbers were all over the place but they had settled down this week and I was so pleased and relieved so I was so surprised that a salad can catch me out. Guess the stress is still there as he was younger than myself with heart problems from drinking and smoking and type 2 so I blame him for his short life.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi all. Question I need to ask... all week I've had good numbers from 6.4 to 7.2 not watched my diet to much this week, so lunch Saturday was green leaf salad, tomatoes.goats cheese with a little dressing not too much. Afternoon I got an 8.9.! ! started the day 6.4 what happened ? I thought I was a good boy.

This may not be the cause in your case but carbohydrate is not the only thing that the body will convert to glucose. I've seen several people on this forum mention how dairy products will make their BG elevate. Just a thought.

I've been low carb for 3 years when it went pear shaped. I've only recently been able to straighten my BG out but by cutting all dairy and meat, just eating vegetable at the moment . . . . most of the time anyway.

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess I've still got some issues to work out. Sunday I drove to my Girlfriend just half an hour away round the M25 the traffic was bad with people in the middle lane at 60 hogging the road. I tested in the morning to see what sort of breakfast I could have and all was good yet when I arrived at her place I felt something was wrong so a re-test gave me a 4mmol. I don't normally get stressed driving as I was a service tech on the road for 40 years and seen it all.
The loss of my brother is still with me and the rush through London traffic trying not to arrive late for the funeral. Things go on in your mind and you try and get over it and get on with your life. I think I've got all my answers now.

Reactions: Prem51