What happens with Metformin if you don't eat, anything?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have often fasted while taking Metformin and had no adverse affects whatsoever. I'm not saying it will be the same for everyone because every one is different so you should test often and have something available to raise your BG if necessary.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Ignorant people,shopping,more shopping
Hi,
So, finally got my A1C test and it showed diabetes, (not so high, but apparently it's been going on in my body for years now since the neuropathy in my feet has been going on for at least 3 to 5 years and both doctors attribute it to the diabetes), anyway...

I've been cruising around the forums reading different topics and I stumbled upon one topic where somebody felt wobbly and said they'd not eaten a full meal in a while, which got me thinking... What happens if you take Metformin but don't eat regularly? Is that going to end up using up too much sugar in my blood and make me feel light headed or wobbly?

I generally eat one time a day, (trying to keep it between 6 and 7:30 pm instead of my old routine of 10 to 11pm supper) and I have absolutely no interest in breakfast, or lunch for that matter and have eaten like this for most of my adult life. I used to think it strange that I stay the same weight with only eating once a day but then learned from a nutritionist that I need to eat at least 5 times a day to loose weight so I tried it and indeed I lost a lot of weight but I soon went back to just eating once a day as I just don't really enjoy eating and the weight eventually came back on.

Anyway, the doctor is putting me on Janumet XR 50-1,000 MG tablets to try to get my Diabetes under control, but if I don't eat regularly will it matter at all? It won't end up making me wobbly or crash out during the day if I don't eat regularly will it?

Thanks
In 2011 I was taken into hospital because of metformin,i was in intensive care for 3 weeks and on 5 different life support machines to keep me alive! As you can guess I'm not on metformin anymore!! The doctors said it was very rare for this to happen with metformin but it does happen so I don't want to scare anyone just letting you know of my experience with metformin! Thanks!

Reactions: Thyroiddiabetic

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In 2011 I was taken into hospital because of metformin,i was in intensive care for 3 weeks and on 5 different life support machines to keep me alive! As you can guess I'm not on metformin anymore!! The doctors said it was very rare for this to happen with metformin but it does happen so I don't want to scare anyone just letting you know of my experience with metformin! Thanks!
I have heard of this before .Could it be severe allergic reaction? What are you taking now if I may ask.

Reactions: bobby macdonald
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Ignorant people,shopping,more shopping
I have heard of this before .Could it be severe allergic reaction? What are you taking now if I may ask.
The ICU at the hospital could not explain why it happened and were just happy they kept me alive under the circumstances,they were fantastic by the way! I am now on Gliclazide and a injection once a week of Bydureon!

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Cosmo what symptoms did you have to indicate kidney problems are they sure it was from metformin? What are you taking now if I may ask.
I have been on it exactly 9 years 1500 mg in my urine test indicated trace protein so a bit worried now
I have kidney problems but have not taken Metformin since ladt November; but I am having various tests now.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
One thing I have noticed is that not all Metformin information in the drug packs seems to be the same.

For instance my current pack says not to take if your eGFR is below 45, 1,000 mg daily with eGFR between 45 and 60, and max dose of 3,000 mg per day otherwise. These tablets are from RelonChem.

However @walnut_face posted
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...medication-e-g-metformin.115664/#post-1374572
"Read the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) My variety of metformin advises NOT to take them if following a VLC diet of <1000 cal".

My PIL doesn't seem to mention this at all.

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/metformin.html says "Maximum dose: 2550 mg daily".

https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/formula...drugs/6122-biguanides/metformin-hydrochloride
says "Diabetes mellitus, ADULT and CHILD over 10 years initially 500 mg with breakfast for at least 1 week then 500 mg with breakfast and evening meal for at least 1 week then 500 mg with breakfast, lunch and evening meal; usual max. 2 g daily in divided doses" but also, tellingly, "
Note
Metformin doses in the BNF may differ from those in the product literature
"
Oh, and "
Lactic acidosis
Use with caution in renal impairment—increased risk of lactic acidosis; avoid in significant renal impairment. NICE(1) recommends that the dose should be reviewed if eGFR less than 45 mL/minute/1.73 m2 and to avoid if eGFR less than 30 mL/minute/1.73 m2. Withdraw or interrupt treatment in those at risk of tissue hypoxia or sudden deterioration in renal function, such as those with dehydration, severe infection, shock, sepsis, acute heart failure, respiratory failure or hepatic impairment, or those who have recently had a myocardial infarction
"

So which information source should you rely on??????

Edit:
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1469768893814.pdf
should be the generic PIL and that has the 3,000 mg maximum limit.

Last edited: