What have you bought when shopping with low blood sugars?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh man many many items, usually expensive trainers or clothes if I'm going low and I see something I like on-line or whist out and about it's not unknown for these items to turn up at home.

Once ordered the same trainers in 3 different colours online total bill about £450!!!!! I really really wanted to keep them but 2 had to be returned!!!!!

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One lives and learns! For the record I am over 40 but behave like a child when hypo-shopping!

Exactly this ^^^^ I almost bought a car for a project once off eBay whist very very low!!!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I love this thread! I had my first hypo yesterday (just diagnosed) & ate the whole packet of jaffa cakes that hubby was saving. I think he got off lightly..... (prepares to blame impulse shoe purchases on being hypo)

It's sooooo hard to stop eating when everything tells you to grab what's there and put it in your mouth. It becomes a primitive urge. Hence my big shop. Remembering what you've had for the correction dose can be tough too. Do you like Jaffa cakes?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh man many many items, usually expensive trainers or clothes if I'm going low and I see something I like on-line or whist out and about it's not unknown for these items to turn up at home.

Once ordered the same trainers in 3 different colours online total bill about £450!!!!! I really really wanted to keep them but 2 had to be returned!!!!!

OMG, that's a BIG bill! Thank goodness you could return a couple of pairs. Just think, if it'd been food you might not have been so lucky, especially if there were bite marks. Was it hard to choose which colour to keep?

Reactions: Snapsy

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It's sooooo hard to stop eating when everything tells you to grab what's there and put it in your mouth. It becomes a primitive urge. Hence my big shop. Remembering what you've had for the correction dose can be tough too. Do you like Jaffa cakes?
Probably not as much now as before the whole pack.

Reactions: Dodo

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily yes! Although I had just one after dinner yesterday and it didn't taste so good as panic eating the whole packet. Husband is now hiding boxes of chocolates from me....

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i love reading this thread come on it every day for a good laugh thanks for starting it fairygodmother you dont need your wand to spread the magic of laughter x

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG, that's a BIG bill! Thank goodness you could return a couple of pairs. Just think, if it'd been food you might not have been so lucky, especially if there were bite marks. Was it hard to choose which colour to keep?

I managed to choose the colour once I 'sobered up from the hypo'. Would love to have kept them all so yes was kinda of a tough choice!!!!!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have just got home from work b4 was hypo at 3.4 had some lucozade and cooked me dinner went in me bag to get insulin pen out to bolus for dinner was struggling to put pentip on only realised i was trying to screw it on to my tube of gluco gel im certifiable x

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate it when you get those lows that never ever ever want to go up no matter what you try!!!! I had one a few weeks back 3.2 and dropping took me about 3 hours to raise it to about 5.5 must have consumed about 60g+ or sugary carbs in that time.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i love reading this thread come on it every day for a good laugh thanks for starting it fairygodmother you dont need your wand to spread the magic of laughter x

Thank you Karen8967, that's so good to hear! I find that T1 gives us so much to think about that's serious, embarrassing, etc. that sometimes the only way to deal with it is to laugh at myself

Reactions: Dodo and karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Luckily yes! Although I had just one after dinner yesterday and it didn't taste so good as panic eating the whole packet. Husband is now hiding boxes of chocolates from me....

Ha ha, at least he's on your side - or is it that he fears he won't get a look in?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i have just got home from work b4 was hypo at 3.4 had some lucozade and cooked me dinner went in me bag to get insulin pen out to bolus for dinner was struggling to put pentip on only realised i was trying to screw it on to my tube of gluco gel im certifiable x

Sorry, refuse to certify you - you're just one of us. Join the crew - the only certificate you'll get is as a member of the Hypo-Brigade.

Reactions: Dodo and karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate it when you get those lows that never ever ever want to go up no matter what you try!!!! I had one a few weeks back 3.2 and dropping took me about 3 hours to raise it to about 5.5 must have consumed about 60g+ or sugary carbs in that time.

I agree, they can be frightening and frustrating. I've had only one of those since the Dafne course, I think it was linked to extra exercise the day before, and luckily it happened when I was at home.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Karen8967, that's so good to hear! I find that T1 gives us so much to think about that's serious, embarrassing, etc. that sometimes the only way to deal with it is to laugh at myself
Amen to that (and no im not a religous nut ) thats a thread for another day

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well today's story isn't about shopping. For some reason I'm going low all the time. Weather changes, no morning caffeine, just decaf nespresso and changed bf

I was trying to call my husband....ON MY CALCULATOR!!!! Up to the ear and all. If that wasn't enough I called my mom instead of him!! It wasn't even a serious hypo. 67.

Off to shop now that I have the excuse!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well today's story isn't about shopping. For some reason I'm going low all the time. Weather changes, no morning caffeine, just decaf nespresso and changed bf

I was trying to call my husband....ON MY CALCULATOR!!!! Up to the ear and all. If that wasn't enough I called my mom instead of him!! It wasn't even a serious hypo. 67.

Off to shop now that I have the excuse!!

Hope the rest of the day was right-minded! Love the calculator as a phone

Reactions: Dodo