Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..., mocha (1 tsp coffee, 1tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2tsp stevia, double cream), ...

I made me some mocha yesterday for the first time in ages, but I was miserly and just used my almond milk in it. But I find that I only need the minutest bit of stevia (I hate using any sort of sweetener other than real sugar as I get an aftertaste with them) to sweeten things enough for my taste. So I'm intrigued Charles - what brand of stevia are you using?

I treated myself to a little micro spoon from Amazon to measure mine out - like the smaller of the two on the left in the picture here:
766749.jpg

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Breakfast: mushroom omelette, 2 rashers of bacon (blood sugars 5.5 an hour after, but 9.6 by lunch. Usually I only have one bacon rasher so I will be more strict tomorrow).

Lunch: Trout and green leaf salad, mocha (1 tsp coffee, 1tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2tsp stevia, double cream), almond meal ginger muffin.

Dinner: Celeriac chips, sirloin steak, flat mushroom with cheese, almond meal ginger muffin, mocha (previous high blood sugar made me decide to up my insulin, so dropped to 3.1 after dinner. Took 2 dextrose tablets. 2 hours later BS was 5.5).
Would you mind posting your recipe for ginger muffins? They sound great :)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made me some mocha yesterday for the first time in ages, but I was miserly and just used my almond milk in it. But I find that I only need the minutest bit of stevia (I hate using any sort of sweetener other than real sugar as I get an aftertaste with them) to sweeten things enough for my taste. So I'm intrigued Charles - what brand of stevia are you using?

I treated myself to a little micro spoon from Amazon to measure mine out - like the smaller of the two on the left in the picture here:
766749.jpg

Robbity
I get mine from Holland and Barrett. http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4990&prodid=5988&cid=554
I got the aftertaste when I first used it, but after a couple of weeks I got used to it, and now I enjoy it :)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're a star. Thanks!
No problem at all, very happy to help. Depending on how much you like ginger you may need to adjust the quantities. I tried with 1tsp the first time and it was too subtle. 2tsp works well, but I think I could enjoy 3 if I was a bit heavy handed. I also find baking time is quite critical. If over baked they are still definitely edible, but will be quite dry. About 15 to 17 minutes in my preheated oven keeps them nice and moist (works even better with blueberries). As usual, disclaimer about how every oven is different and the need to experiment! Best of luck :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

No problem at all, very happy to help. Depending on how much you like ginger you may need to adjust the quantities. I tried with 1tsp the first time and it was too subtle. 2tsp works well, but I think I could enjoy 3 if I was a bit heavy handed. I also find baking time is quite critical. If over baked they are still definitely edible, but will be quite dry. About 15 to 17 minutes in my preheated oven keeps them nice and moist (works even better with blueberries). As usual, disclaimer about how every oven is different and the need to experiment! Best of luck :)
My oven is a piece of junk so I have to watch it like a hawk!

I have printed off the recipe and will give it a try very soon. I fancy gingerbread with custard so this might do the trick. Whitby Jet posted a recipe a while back for low carb mascarpone custard...mmmm!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Lovely dinner tonight :)

Spicy cauli-couscous with feta and cashews, tenderstem broccoli, asparagus and minty Greek yogurt.

Ginger muffin with mascarpone custard filling. Used half of the recipe Charles Robin posted, added 2 tsp of ginger and 2 tsp of cocoa powder for colour. Thanks again for the recipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried a tablespoon couscous yesterday and it blew my BS up into the 8s for 3hrs! a bit disappointed as I haven't had it since diagnosis 5 yrs ago and really enjoyed it - never mind lesson learnt.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely dinner tonight :)

Spicy cauli-couscous with feta and cashews, tenderstem broccoli, asparagus and minty Greek yogurt.

Ginger muffin with mascarpone custard filling. Used half of the recipe Charles Robin posted, added 2 tsp of ginger and 2 tsp of cocoa powder for colour. Thanks again for the recipe.

1zzvaf.jpg
2cg9bb.jpg
Your muffin looks amazing! How do you make the custard? My wife is saying this looks like the best thing since (low carb flax meal) sliced bread.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I tried a tablespoon couscous yesterday and it blew my BS up into the 8s for 3hrs! a bit disappointed as I haven't had it since diagnosis 5 yrs ago and really enjoyed it - never mind lesson learnt.
I wouldn't touch real couscous with a bargepole these days! Mine is made of blitzed cauliflower - the same idea as cauliflower rice. Very BG friendly and tastes better than real couscous I reckon.

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a 2 egg omelette with pepperoni and a teeny bit of cheese in. Next time going to put a bit of tomato in so it will have a 'pizza' taste to it. Omelettes (really thin) are great to use as wraps btw, I noticed someone was asking what to use to wrap their cheese and ham in ;)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Charles for the Stevia info - I just can't get rid of the after taste unless I use a very tiny bit in my coffee and chocolate drinks, so I've been reluctant to use in anything else really. Mine is this one from Amazon, maybe I'll have to try yours instead...

I shall try the almond muffins too - I've been making almond & golden flax seed ones as that gives me a bit extra roughage.

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday missed breakfast again and for brunch had the rest of my cream of spinach soup with grated cheese and a buttered cheesy biscuit, followed by a mini chocolate cheesecake and small dollop of cream.

Dinner was one of my favourites - Persian lamb - minced lamb cooked with mint and lime juice and served on a bed of spinach, and topped with toasted almond slivers. Husband had his with rice. Pudding was another little cheese cake with a few raspberries & thick cream.

The green side salad (watercress cucumber, celery & avocado) that my husband had also made I saved for supper and had with two thin buttered rye crispbreads with Tesco Le Roulé herby cream cheese; followed by a kiwi fruit.

Today I missed breakfast again and my liver took serious offence - my pre lunch test reading was 8.1 and I've only ever seen that high a couple of times after slightly sinful meals.... :( Lunch was apple, celery, walnut and chicken salad with a sour cream and chive dip dressing, followed by a few blueberries with a teaspoon of cream.

Dinner was fried chicken breast with cauliflower and asparagus in a cheese/mustard/cream sauce, followed by a half chocolate cheesecake with a few raspberries and whipped cream.

I think I'll have yoghurt or ricotta cheese flavoured with coffee granules and a few walnuts for supper.

Robbity

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Last night's cauli-fest...

Starter: cauliflower "pakora" with dip

Main: cauliflower "rice" with quorn curry

Pud: cauliflower-free trifle (almond muffin, spiced rum, kiwi, veg pineapple jelly, mascarpone/vanilla/cream, toasted coconut)

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Status
Not open for further replies.