What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never got greggs! Love pasties but the smell of greggs makes me feel ill. Hotel du chocolat - now you're talking!
Greggs is pure evil - yum yums, cheap as chips and ten times worse.

Hotel Chocolat annoyed me because they were advertising a "Less sugar, more chocolate" range, but when I walked in and looked at the packaging there was no per 100g nutrition information. It was some nonsense "per serving" information. I hate that. I'm going to complain on their Facebook page I think.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spiked - haven't had one of those since I lived in Philadelphia, down near Cherry Hills. Hardly lightweight on any of the content measures I now hold so dear.
"Frankly, I'd rather be in Philadelphia". Who said that? :)

I've never been to Philadelphia, I'd love to have been. But the fame of the Philly cheesesteak spreads far and wide. I think I had one in Chicago. Also they might originate from Switzerland where they slap cheese on any kind of meat and call it "cordon bleu".

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Philly cheesesteak, aka 300g steak topped with 100g cream cheese, plus 100g of coleslaw. 10g carbs, 80g protein. I guess I should start to count the fat! It was gorgeous and I am totally full up.

Lunch was a decaf cappuccino that put my blood sugar up 1 mmol/L so I took half a u after the fact. No breakfast - I really don't do breakfast.

No hunger all day and the only craving was when I had to walk between Gregg's, a market cake stall and Hotel Chocolat on my way through town. I did not succumb! :)

I did have a hypo after so I probably need to look at my protein dosing and reduce that. It was a slow hypo and the CGM warned me in plenty of time. I had 16gch of dark chocolate, which I would not have thought was a great choice (it was around and I wanted rid of it) but actually it worked really well, there was no spike at all from the hypo correction, almost perfectly smooth and within target range. I think it is a classic case of low carb leading to much gentler slower hypos that are much easier to treat, and without rebounds.

Low carb rulez. :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Planned fish curry today. Well, it's not curried fish, just fried fish with curried veg. Usually I coat white fish fillets in egg then flour, and pan fry, but my new lower carb version is to roll the fish fillets in ground almonds and then grill them under a moderate heat on a little olive oil to prevent them sticking to their little pan.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yesterday I had

Brunch: 2 quorn sausages, 2 fried eggs, ketchup, creamy decaf.
Dinner: leftover curry

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did have a hypo after so I probably need to look at my protein dosing and reduce that. It was a slow hypo and the CGM warned me in plenty of time. I had 16gch of dark chocolate, which I would not have thought was a great choice (it was around and I wanted rid of it) but actually it worked really well, there was no spike at all from the hypo correction, almost perfectly smooth and within target range. I think it is a classic case of low carb leading to much gentler slower hypos that are much easier to treat, and without rebounds.

Low carb rulez. :)
Hmm my BG did drift slowly up to 9 so more of a rebound than I thought but still much milder than usual. Still it has taken me out of ketosis according to the wee stick. Drat. I really must stick to Glucotabs for hypo management. Fastest acting means least carbs ingested. A lesson learned (again!).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yesterday had porridge and berries for breakfast and ham egg and just a few chips at a pub lunch, with a 330ml bottle of low alcohol lager. Preprandial before dinner was 6.7 when I am usually in the mid 5s at most. But only rose to 6.9 after chicken satay, veg and rhubarb/cream for dinner.

Probably too many carbs at breakfast and lunch, I could cope with one but not both. Another diet lesson learned.

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had the tiny piece of cheese already mentioned and GALLONS of alcohol. I was hypo this morning because of it and had a coffee with actual real sugar lol......sunday roast is cooking and after I eat it I shall be having a siesta :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had the tiny piece of cheese already mentioned and GALLONS of alcohol. I was hypo this morning because of it and had a coffee with actual real sugar lol......sunday roast is cooking and after I eat it I shall be having a siesta :)

What was your hypo number Shelley?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's quite low, but if you aren't on insulin or other potentially hypo inducing drugs, it's probably not a big concern. I reckon my liver dump comes into play about 3.4, but haven't set about proving that yet. One day, when I feel masochistic, i might,.................. or might not!

I guess one cup of coffee with sugar wouldn't have hurt too much, but I would probably have had the drink without sugar, as a gentler "lift".

Incidentally, I can "create" hypo-like symptoms with caffeinated coffee on an empty stomach. I found this by accident - felt rough, tested and around 4.5, if I recall correctly. My tolerance of coffee seems to have weakened. If I feel hungry, or a bit low, I usually try tea with milk first, and that usually carries me well enough until the next mealtime.

Keep an eye on those low numbers though. Even non-diabetics can have true hypos, so don't go making yourself ill by soldiering on too often.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
@lunarlinda

Hi,

The cheese strings were on offer in Tescos when I started my Great Dawn Phenomenon Experiment.
So now I am stuck with them, in the interests of minimising variables.

I actually prefer baby bels because they have some kind of flavour.
But then I prefer Leerdammer or vintage cheddar more.
Heck, Gorgonzola or Stilton would be my ultimate faves... but practicality rules, and I can keep them out of the fridge and on my bedside table for a day or two without worry.

Re the juicer - careful with glucose spikes! Even carrot juice sends me into the stratosphere, although hopefully your mileage will vary!
Ah, I see. Yep, babybell for me, portable and practically indistructable in my very messy handbag.

I juice mostly spinach with the odd pepper, apple, garlic and ginger. (wierdo perhaps)

Ta for the info. xx

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast- gluten free sausage, turkey bacon, grilled tomato and handful of mushrooms- 1tsp pickle( tiny amount and I think it dd put my sugars up so that'll be a rare treat)
Lunch- salad box of lettuce, toms, two slices beetroot, couple of silverskin onions, two slices lean ham, 1oz smoked cheese, cress, toms, homemade slaw and a small dollop of low fat hummus( don't like full fat version)
Dinner- roast beef, small amount of gravy, cauli cheese made with creme fraiche and cheese, which is how I made it before diagnosis as my roux skills are zero, runner beans, broccoli, tablespoon each carrots and peas.
Snack- may have a couple of babybels before bed
Drinks one decaff coffee with splash of milk; many decaf green teas and a sparkling water with slice of lemon

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Cold, ta for the post. I made cauli cheese today, but to a recipe I got on here which used cheese and full fat cream. I was sick. Think I'm overdoing the protien and fat sometimes. Got to look at all my food, not just concentrate on low carb. I'll try creme fraiche next time. :( xx

K

Kat100

I
Hi Cold, ta for the post. I made cauli cheese today, but to a recipe I got on here which used cheese and full fat cream. I was sick. Think I'm overdoing the protien and fat sometimes. Got to look at all my food, not just concentrate on low carb. I'll try creme fraiche next time. :( xx
Hi lunarlinda, I love creme fraiche marks one is the best for me, I do half fat though, but I can digest those.....and I love cauliflower cheese :)
They do a nice bread, pumpkin seed with soya ....I am a medium carb person , but it is what works for individuals , hope you find a diet which is right for you ......:) Best wishes Kat x:cat:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm low carbing but trying not to go overboard on the fats as I need to lose weight and tbh I'm not keen on full fat versions of stuff other than cheese. I just boil my cauli, drain and pop it in ovenproof dish with couple of large tablespoons creme fraiche and as much or as little cheese as takes my fancy. Season well with black pepper and bung in oven till warmed through. It was really nice tonight and I even thought that the roast dinner was far better without the spuds so either low carbing has addled my brain, or I'm slowly weaning myself off an addiction. And I do think it is an addiction as I could happily eat my bodyweight in pasta and garlic bread and half an hour later be in the fridge.

Reactions: 4 people

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Kat

Yes I get that bread and I got a small one last week at Sainsbugs so even better on the carbs. Still experimenting with it all........ xx

K

Kat100

Alpen no sugar ....with almond milk

Tomato and roasted pepper soup....with pumpkin and soya bread one slice

Walnut cake ....low sugar ....made by me :)

Small jacket potato with veggies in a cheese sauce

Raspberries with half fat creme fresh ....melted green and blacks on top.....lovely .......a happy Sunday ....

But no walking today, used the rain as an excuse....stayed with Sunday papers.......

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm low carbing but trying not to go overboard on the fats as I need to lose weight and tbh I'm not keen on full fat versions of stuff other than cheese. I just boil my cauli, drain and pop it in ovenproof dish with couple of large tablespoons creme fraiche and as much or as little cheese as takes my fancy. Season well with black pepper and bung in oven till warmed through. It was really nice tonight and I even thought that the roast dinner was far better without the spuds so either low carbing has addled my brain, or I'm slowly weaning myself off an addiction. And I do think it is an addiction as I could happily eat my bodyweight in pasta and garlic bread and half an hour later be in the fridge.
Yep, that's the thing with carbs though init? xx

K

Kat100

:cat:
Hi Kat

Yes I get that bread and I got a small one last week at Sainsbugs so even better on the carbs. Still experimenting with it all........ xx
Hi lunarlinda, I love that bread, I always experiment , all the time .....counting carbs is not really me , I try but find I am better with smaller portions and more a lower GL diet.....I am veggie as well....so love my cheese.....nice to chat and catch up with you:) best wishes Kat :cat:

Status
Not open for further replies.