What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 05/12/12
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge and 90g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 150g iceberg lettuce, 60g rocket, 30g cheese, 95g can tomato and basil tuna
Dinner: 250g chicken breast, and fresh boiled broccoli as it was on special.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
G'morning everyone :wacky: Dull but dry here today so a bit less pain in my hip and knees - sadly noone sent the memo to my thumb and finger joints... Nevermind, can't have it all!

@ianpspurs - I hope you enjoy the rotisserie chicken in the a/f - I'm on my third actual rotisserie machine and do as many roasts in it as will fit. I'm so sorry to hear that Julie isn't feeling well, I hope she has some relief from it soon. Today's Jarlsberg cheese in the advent calendar was totally :hungover: - did you enjoy it?

@PenguinMum - OMG, you are so strong willed to swerve the samples at the cookery demo. I've avoided anything like that for at least five years. :arghh:

@Goonergal - Big hug coming your way for those awful working hours - I hope it settles down soon for you.

@Annb - Well done to get your BGs below 7. I completely agree that it is deeply frustrating when you don't know what you did right with your BGs.

@shelley262 - As Ian said, I hope the funeral goes as well as those sorts of occasion can and I really hope your Mum doesn't get too stressed and anxious about it.

@Tipetoo - congratulations on your excellent HbA1c :happy:

@SlimLizzy - Could it be metformin causing the tummy issues? I've been on it for years and have only had 'repercussions' when I tried the 800 cal Newcastle Diet, tried zero carbing and - worst of all - when fasted for five days.

@DJC3 - OMG..... I know EXACTLY what you mean about uninspiring food.... :dead:

@annabell1 - Big hug coming your way! You have had such a rubbish time recently. Its unbelievable that the diabetic clinic think that 10.1 is okay - I know how awful I feel when my BG gets that high.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So, back to food and BGs for Wednesday 4th December

Tues bed test: 5.8

Wed FBG: 7.6
Breakfast: 2 eggs, cheese and mushroom omelette cooked in butter (1.5g carbs)
2 hours after 6.5 *

Lunch: 6.2
Pizza chaffle (mozzarella, garlic granules, oregano and tomato puree) (4g carbs, cos of the tom puree)
2 hours after 7.5

Dinner: 6.5
Same as Tuesday - quorn thing, brussels, cauli and melted butter on the veg (17g carbs)
2 hours after 7.3

Bed: 5.8

* Had this same breakfast again today but didn't get the same BG result :shifty:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a thought that, perhaps, what I did right yesterday was to eat in the morning, so I decided to have a kind of late breakfast/brunch of the remainder of the bubble and squeak from last night with a fried egg on top. I wasn't actually hungry, but I had it anyway and it tasted good. BG right now - 9.0 (FBG was 7.5). Perhaps eating time was not what I did right after all.

Tea and coffee for the rest of the day but the portion was pretty small so I might have something else later. I have some chicken wings on standby ready to fry or roast later, if needed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook I’m finding your before and after scores very interesting reading, I too find that the same meal at the same time on different days will give a completely different result. There’s obviously so much more going on inside us than just processing food. I wish I could figure it out.
@Annb same thing, I keep thinking I’ve got it right and then I’m proved entirely wrong next day!

I forgot to add in yesterday’s post that I also had a 60g bag of Cheesies ( shared between lunch and dinner and 1 other person) I agree @shelley262 and @ianpspurs they are great.

Today’s food just CWC and black coffee until 2pm which was over 24hr fast in effect, not that it made much difference to bg.
2pm NE1: flaxseed bun, butter, cheese, 1/2 60g bag Cheesies
Dinner NE2: Airfried pork chop and cauliflower cheese. Sugar free jelly and 1/2 Moser Roth chocolate bar. While cooking I had the other 1/2 bag Cheesies ( I should have put them away, far too moreish, I’m definitely getting the smaller packs next time)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

been lapsing with my daily posts. :)

This week has been
No B
A slab of mature cheddar for L
And either roast chicken leg, or slices of half lamb shoulder, or scram egg n sausage for D.

there was one rather odd evening when my plate had a small hot pork chop, two slices of cold roast chicken breast and a small slice of cold lamb shoulder. All lean. Had to add mayo in order to avoid that claggy too-much-protein and not-enuff-fat feeling.

also had 70% choc every day. Well, needs must. ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about this?

BC709BD3-A663-477F-8DB8-1907265747EC.jpeg

This chicken was fried but had been dipped in shredded mozzarella before hand, giving it a nice crispy finish.

Followed by keto chocolate cheesecake and double cream.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Barbequed yabbies from the dam at the block.
Dinner: Cold meat and salad.
Breakfast: Usul omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugar, lotsa water.

I have got a early appointment with the podiatrist for my last foot check for the year, then rip around the corner to my GP's appointment for my test results and a six monthly Prolia injection for my back.

I will work up a thirst and as i have to go past the bowls club on the way home pretty sure I will get a pot or two of my favourite drink.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch a Prèt a Manger: Italian salad and a coconut bite.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: mature cheddar and mushroom omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After the bubble & squeak I had tea and then a cup of beef broth about 2 pm. I did have some of the wings around 6 pm. BG dropped 90 minutes later from the earlier 9.0 to 6.2. So maybe it's the beef broth that helps.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea.
Lunch: Mushroom soup and big chunk of emmenthal.
Supper: out with Mr PM for golf group Christmas meal, had small bit of very dry Parma ham with rocket and two olives followed by turkey dinner which was thick slice of turkey and tiny brocolli floret after scraping off the cranberry jam and discarding the potatoes and carrots. Shockingly bad effort by them. Wish I has preorderd the lamb shank only didnt because it came with mash but at least the meat would have been nice.
Swerved pudding.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@DJC3 it might have been like a carbonara if made with a different cabbage, but, since I used Savoy cabbage, it was definitely creamed cabbage. You are right though, the inspiration came from a low carb carbonara recipe.
05-12-19
Breakfast CWC X2 Nut granola.
Lunch. Avocado, tomato and Brebis cheese salad. Lettuce and cucumber. Finger of pâté Tea
Tea, more tea
Dinner. Nibbled on a bit of the cabbage.
Chicken and mushroom casserole from the freezer. Last of the creamed cabbage. Glass and a half white wine.
Tea and bedtime tea.

BG before dinner 5.2
2 hours after 5.6

Got a delivery of test strips today. Am hoping will help explain the dashing to the loo all the time. That usually is a sign I have been overdoing the carbs

Now had three days of being very careful about them. No noticeable improvement as yet. Getting a tad fed up with it.

. Last week was having apples, sharing one with MrSlim and I did have an orange one day. That was after a nearly zero carb meal. But was counting the carbs, didn't think I went overboard.

Going to stop now before this turns into a pity party. There are others with far worse problems

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 it might have been like a carbonara if made with a different cabbage, but, since I used Savoy cabbage, it was definitely creamed cabbage. You are right though, the inspiration came from a low carb carbonara recipe.
05-12-19
Breakfast CWC X2 Nut granola.
Lunch. Avocado, tomato and Brebis cheese salad. Lettuce and cucumber. Finger of pâté Tea
Tea, more tea
Dinner. Nibbled on a bit of the cabbage.
Chicken and mushroom casserole from the freezer. Last of the creamed cabbage. Glass and a half white wine.
Tea and bedtime tea.

BG before dinner 5.2
2 hours after 5.6

Got a delivery of test strips today. Am hoping will help explain the dashing to the loo all the time. That usually is a sign I have been overdoing the carbs

Now had three days of being very careful about them. No noticeable improvement as yet. Getting a tad fed up with it.

. Last week was having apples, sharing one with MrSlim and I did have an orange one day. That was after a nearly zero carb meal. But was counting the carbs, didn't think I went overboard.

Going to stop now before this turns into a pity party. There are others with far worse problems
You have my deepest sympathy for waterworks problems. I fully understand the concern - have you consulted the medics?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy - Have you been on antibiotics recently? I find sometimes my tummy is just fine with them, then other times, ......... well, 'nuff said.

I just up the home made live yoghurt and make sure there are plenty good bugs going in there.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had a thought that, perhaps, what I did right yesterday was to eat in the morning, so I decided to have a kind of late breakfast/brunch of the remainder of the bubble and squeak from last night with a fried egg on top. I wasn't actually hungry, but I had it anyway and it tasted good. BG right now - 9.0 (FBG was 7.5). Perhaps eating time was not what I did right after all.

Tea and coffee for the rest of the day but the portion was pretty small so I might have something else later. I have some chicken wings on standby ready to fry or roast later, if needed.

@Annb - I know I'm not the best person to give BG advice, but do you think you might have a bad case of Dawn Phenomenon? This post of yours does make me wonder if eating earlier might suit your BG more. I suffer with DP a lot and it got worse after I was put on insulin. The only way I can deal with it is, as soon as possible after I wake up, I have to eat a very low carb, fatty, protein rich breakfast to stop my BG rising any further (or to slow it down quite a bit). I find the more fat/protein breakfast I eat first thing, the less my BG rises and the easier it is to manage for the rest of the day. I never used to enjoy breakfast but I find that if I skip breakfast or don't eat much of it my BG just keeps on rising until early afternoon and then slowly comes back down a bit but stays high for the rest of the day. It might be worth a try.