What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
BSC was not actually advised but she alerted me to the existence. It is a Chart which hails from Bristol to categorise Stools - non bar variety. I now have a mug and fridge magnet and am considering hoodies and t-shirts. DOI - ipad:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears: You clearly want me to go.:angelic:

Oooh! Bristol Stool Charts.... gathering the info (from several residents) to fill those in was the most revolting part of my old job. Peg on nose time.

Reactions: DJC3

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Today :

Breakfast : 4 spoons of blueberry parfait. Black coffee.

Lunch : skip it to compensate for yesterday disaster .

Dinner : will go out and have steak salad .

No snacks today .

Bought these yellow doc marten soft leather booties for myself to cheer myself up after what happened yesterday

View attachment 37933

Suggestion re what to wear with it welcome
You could wear them with jeans, tights actually anything that suits the colour also you can wear with them with a midi skirt and tops, tights

https://www.popsugar.com.au/fashion/How-Wear-Doc-Martens-45461758

https://images.app.goo.gl/hnKMD397axFj2sM98

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What an absolutely gorgeous day (well, it is here in South Yorkshire and I hope it is where you are too). Beautiful sunshine and all the bulbs in the garden are getting buds.

I"ve got to watch the green gloopy smoothie for lunch.... it takes me a bit low... yesterday before dinner I got down to 3.9 - I felt okay though. No tears this time.

So, today (Monday 20-01-20)

Bed time yesterday: 5.7
FBG this morning: 6.5

B: Green Gloopy Smoothie
2 hrs after: 5.8

L: 5.2
More Green Gloopy Smoothie

D: Repeat of last night's dinner - stir fry veg with marinated tofu (this is the Cauldron pre-marinated tofu which, to my new to tofu tastebuds tastes remarkably like pork - who'd have guessed!)

Drinks: Black decaff coffee until mid morning then water, water and yet more water for the rest of the day.
(Only 18 days until the end of my Dry January - I'm counting the hours)

Annual blood test for HbA1c, thyroid, cholesterol and (I think) liver and kidney functions tomorrow - I'm not expecting miracles with the HbA1c - nothing like the 28 I got a couple of years ago. I just know they'll want me back on the insulin. :mad: Ah, well, I can't blame anyone except myself.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an absolutely gorgeous day (well, it is here in South Yorkshire and I hope it is where you are too). Beautiful sunshine and all the bulbs in the garden are getting buds.

I"ve got to watch the green gloopy smoothie for lunch.... it takes me a bit low... yesterday before dinner I got down to 3.9 - I felt okay though. No tears this time.

D: Repeat of last night's dinner - stir fry veg with marinated tofu (this is the Cauldron pre-marinated tofu which, to my new to tofu tastebuds tastes remarkably like pork - who'd have guessed!)

Drinks: Black decaff coffee until mid morning then water, water and yet more water for the rest of the day.

Annual blood test for HbA1c, thyroid, cholesterol and (I think) liver and kidney functions tomorrow - I'm not expecting miracles with the HbA1c - nothing like the 28 I got a couple of years ago. I just know they'll want me back on the insulin. :mad: Ah, well, I can't blame anyone except myself.

Good luck with the blood tests tomorrow.
What is the green gloopy smoothie? Think I’ve missed a post or 2 somewhere. On second thoughts, do I really want to know?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the blood tests tomorrow.
What is the green gloopy smoothie? Think I’ve missed a post or 2 somewhere. On second thoughts, do I really want to know?
Yes you do and so do I. Me Julie feels a hankering for smoothies of late and one may return to smoothies after a 4 year absence. So please @Chook help a lost soul, his wife and @DJC3. You know it makes sense Rodney.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Green gloopy smoothie recipe:the

Makes 1

75g (approx 2 big handfuls) kale
30g (large handful) rocket
Small handful flat leaf parsley
3 stalks celery
2-3 inches cucumber
Quarter to half of a medium apple
Juice of half a lemon
And, if you are feeling particularly masochistic, half a teaspoon of powdered matcha tea

I also add a strawberry or two, a tablespoon of pomegranate seeds or five grapes because it is absolutely revolting without something to sweeten it a bit.

The original recipe said to use a juicer to make juice but mine died last year so I'm using a blender to make it as a smoothie. It might be more palatable as juice because, while very healthy, it tastes awful.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes you do and so do I. Me Julie feels a hankering for smoothies of late and one may return to smoothies after a 4 year absence. So please @Chook help a lost soul, his wife and @DJC3. You know it makes sense Rodney.

Good luck!! It definitely keeps you regular, thats for sure!

Reactions: Annb and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck!! It definitely keeps you regular, thats for sure!
Thank you very much for the recipe and that potential benefit. Might swap blueberries and raspberries for the apple and strawberries. In my mind adding apple cider vinegar would be good. Best wishes for tomorrow.

Last edited:

NitinHP

I was out and about today. Over the last 3 hours I have had the occasional, a 60g packet of pork scratchings.

Will hopefully find the one with the least amount of carbs, available to me.

I am still researching meters and now needles. It would appear that a common difference/query relates to accuracy. Although the accuracy is ok as a certain amount of deviance is allowable, the difference between readings are the most important factor? Which is why they are calibrated at source, from manufacturer.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thank you

Reactions: maglil55

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was out and about today. Over the last 3 hours I have had the occasional, a 60g packet of pork scratchings.

I am still researching meters and now needles. It would appear that a common difference/query relates to accuracy. Although the accuracy is ok as a certain amount of deviance is allowable, the difference between readings are the most important factor? Which is why they are calibrated at source, from manufacturer.

Thank you
Calling @Rachox for her great link.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today 20/01/20
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 175g non fat greek yoghurt, 13g protein peanut butter, 65g fresh blueberries, one black coffee, two white coffee with 60ml of 2% milk split between them.

Lunch: (traveling) coffee with 20ml of 1% milk, 2 white corn tortillas, made into little crispy chips, 50g spicy hummus, 24g cheese. Peppermint tea two hours after lunch.

Dinner: white coffee 20ml 2% milk, 114g tempeh fries in 1tsp olive oil, 2 microwave packs of broccoli, carrots and cauliflower, 140g in total for both, 50g sauerkraut, mustard. Lemon ginger, peppermint tea afterwards.

I now know how to make tortilla chips from frozen tortilas, I froze two packs. I zap them on 50% for two min, cut into triangles, pop under grill on low setting until crisp. They traveled well. Next time I will be prepared with a few cherry tomatoes to go with the cheese and hummus when traveling to medical appointments.

Yummy
I want tortilla with lemon flavored hummus ! Do they cause a large BG increase ?

Reactions: Quinn1066

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you very much for the recipe and that potential benefit. Wonder if a few blueberries, raspberries, mct oil and some Fage and /or water would be hunky dory?

Give it a try. I got the basic recipe from a friend who has been having it for both breakfast and lunch since last summer and she adds all kinds of things to the basic recipe (but she hasn't got our carb problem). I added a bit of fruit because it tasted bitter ti me and needed something to make it more palatable. I'm just experimenting and testing to find a blend I like and that is good for my BGs. Adding water kind of prolongs the agony when drinking it. Mr C says he thinks carrot or tomato and some Worcestershire sauce would improve it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you
Calling @Rachox for her great link.
Thanks for the tag @xfieldok :)

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable, although I hear reliability may have improved now. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Home Health have recently bought out this one too, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

Reactions: Chook

Winnie-the-Pooh

You BG is great . Why you think you need insulin ?
And your diet seem to be very healthy , but liberal enough . So it’s not a fake low because of an extreme diet . It seems great to me.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Green gloopy smoothie recipe:the

Makes 1

75g (approx 2 big handfuls) kale
30g (large handful) rocket
Small handful flat leaf parsley
3 stalks celery
2-3 inches cucumber
Quarter to half of a medium apple
Juice of half a lemon
And, if you are feeling particularly masochistic, half a teaspoon of powdered matcha tea

I also add a strawberry or two, a tablespoon of pomegranate seeds or five grapes because it is absolutely revolting without something to sweeten it a bit.

The original recipe said to use a juicer to make juice but mine died last year so I'm using a blender to make it as a smoothie. It might be more palatable as juice because, while very healthy, it tastes awful.

I make lots of smoothies at home ( it’s the only thing I can make )

I also add some greek yogurt ( to make it creamy ).
It makes my smoothies much more tasty ( I use a magic blender I bought for 40$).

I used to add a small amount of orange juice to it as well ( but no longer due to D2). It did magic . Now if it’s too thick and I need some liquid , I add water .

Cranberries are good for women health . I add them sometimes. I add blueberries, strawberries.
I used to add bananas before but no more . Now I might add some pineapple if I have room ( not usually ). I have even added a bit of Chardonnay on Sunday mornings ( it was nice ).

Cucumbers are very tasty when juiced. I thing the bad taste could be Kale , and maybe too much parsley ( basil might be better ). I grow up with Mediterranean food and herbs , so I’m biased toward basil .

You reminded me that I have not made smoothies for 2 weeks . I have to buy yogurt today . It is what makes it yummy in my view .

Blender is a much better option that juicier , because you get fiber and way more minerals and anti oxidants . I never juice anything.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You BG is great . Why you think you need insulin ?
And your diet seem to be very healthy , but liberal enough . So it’s not a fake low because of an extreme diet . It seems great to me.

I am technically an insulin dependent T2 - well, thats what my doctor says - he's not convinced that low carb /keto will work long term for me. Plus I have changed to vegetarian in the last few months and in December/January i had to stay with relatives who couldn't cater for my keto / vegetarian / gluten free diet so my BG went up to mid to high teens for a few weeks. The low numbers I'm having now are very recent.

I might be told to go back to injecting insulin but i won't unless i get a lot worse - it makes me feel dreadful and i put on a lot of weight with it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Back to 2 meals today. Lunch was my usual bacon eggs and grated cheese.

Dinner was air fried lamb ribs that had been marinated overnight in olive oil, garlic and thyme. Absolutely delicious. Pic is in the World Carnivore Month thread.

Good luck with the blood tests tomorrow @Chook

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yummy
I want tortilla with lemon flavored hummus ! Do they cause a large BG increase ?
no I don't have the one hour measurement, but the corn tortillas are just stone ground white corn and salt, no vegetable gums. My set lunch of tomato, tortillas, saurkraut, mustard and cheese and 30g hummus gave me a reading of 4.4 before lunch, and I was actually lower and 4.3 two hours after eating lunch. that was also accompanied by a lemon, peppermint and ginger herbal caffeine free tea.