What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at my parents house: cold meat, cheese and salmon with salad followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola which I took with me.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a raspberry phd bar at a cliff top cafe, looking out at a very misty rainy seascape.
Dinner back home: cheesy scrambled eggs followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Who are you and what have you done with @Rachox? Sunday and no jaffa cake - call Poirot asap.:angelic:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All still here still recovering, but have been doing consistent food tests. Found out a lentil hot pot with both butternut squash, sweet potato and red lentils and tomato dosen't spike me at all, With a total of about 30 carbs per serving, but with a good 9 grams of fiber. My lovely mum made a big batch and brought it down because I am sick, so happy I can eat it.

Also Before lunch today 3.9
Lunch: Two white corn tortilla, 60g hummus, mustard, 100g sauerkraut, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato. But look 188g raw ripe pear. With a while coffee with 30ml milk, and normal herbal tea. After 1 hour: 5.2, after 2 hour 4.8. The pear is trying to deal with the "gut issue", the fiber, pectin and sorbitol in a pear might help. I will have to end up seeing a gastroenterologist probably at this point. No spike I can eat pears, also no spike from 1.5 halves of fresh apricots from my parents garden either. So pears are a go to eat. wow, just wow. Also there is a lovely blue dinosaur protein bar I can eat that dosen't spike me, aussie made, nothing artificial.https://www.bluedinosaur.com.au/store/products/BDPROCDX12/cookie-dough-protein-bar-x-12

Recovery is slow, and another issue with a possible hernia I never knew about saw me back in emergency today, if it doesn't rain it pours, but at least I know what I can eat.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All still here still recovering, but have been doing consistent food tests. Found out a lentil hot pot with both butternut squash, sweet potato and red lentils and tomato dosen't spike me at all, With a total of about 30 carbs per serving, but with a good 9 grams of fiber. My lovely mum made a big batch and brought it down because I am sick, so happy I can eat it.

Lunch: Two white corn tortilla, 60g hummus, mustard, 100g sauerkraut, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato. But look 188g raw ripe pear. With a while coffee with 30ml milk, and normal herbal tea. After 1 hour: 5.2, after 2 hour 4.8. The pear is trying to deal with the "gut issue", the fiber, pectin and sorbitol in a pear might help. I will have to end up seeing a gastroenterologist probably at this point. No spike I can eat pears, also no spike from 1.5 halves of fresh apricots from my parents garden either. So pears are a go to eat. wow, just wow. Also there is a lovely blue dinosaur protein bar I can eat that dosen't spike me, aussie made, nothing artificial.https://www.bluedinosaur.com.au/store/products/BDPROCDX12/cookie-dough-protein-bar-x-12

Recovery is slow, and another issue with a possible hernia I never knew about saw me back in emergency today, if it doesn't rain it pours, but at least I know what I can eat.
No idea what "rating" to give that. Full of optimism but also hug worthy for another problem of which you weren't aware. I am delighted for you by your success in controlling bg - hope for even me. I especially envy the food choices your hard work allows you to make. I would be so comfortable with that hot pot. Take care, recover well. Your post made a very cynical old man a little more hopeful - so have a winner rating.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No idea what "rating" to give that. Full of optimism but also hug worthy for another problem of which you weren't aware. I am delighted for you by your success in controlling bg - hope for even me. I especially envy the food choices your hard work allows you to make. I would be so comfortable with that hot pot. Take care, recover well. Your post made a very cynical old man a little more hopeful - so have a winner rating.
Glad I could make you more hopeful, always nice to be able to do something. And yes the lentil hotpot is amazing, it also has green beans in it as well. Easy to make and freeze. Fruit won't be a regular occurrence for except for berries in my porridge, but at the moment pears and prunes and having to make an appearance and glad to know they don't spike me.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder of wonders - I got an appointment with a GP tomorrow - a cancellation freed up a 10 minute slot. I hadn't realised I was being such a pain and I apologise to everyone on the forum who've waded through my comments, stories and moans. Shan't do it again. Actually, I don't think I'm either adding or gaining anything from posting so I shall stop. Best wishes to you all and hopefully good health in the future.
Oh Ann it would be a lonelier place without you. I never felt you were moaning if anything your fortitude with all your health challenges and all you did for others inspired me and often made me pick myself up. I hope you stay around. Best wishes.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Who are you and what have you done with @Rachox? Sunday and no jaffa cake - call Poirot asap.:angelic:
:joyful::joyful::joyful::hilarious:
Sorry, it really is me! Went to a family get together on the south coast at my parents. A cousin from the USA was over and I didn’t get back home til tea at ILs was over!

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Ann it would be a lonelier place without you. I never felt you were moaning if anything your fortitude with all your health challenges and all you did for others inspired me and often made me pick myself up. I hope you stay around. Best wishes.

You are all very kind and supportive. I'm not really angry about having diabetes - just at myself for letting it happen - ignorance, of course. Good news from today's appointment is 1) my kidney function is returning to something like normal for my age 2) my liver is no worse than it was last time 3) haemoglobin level has returned to where it ought to be. So that shows I have been doing something right. Iron is still low, but I think that has been the case for most of my life and hasn't harmed me yet.

As expected Dr didn't want to part with printed evidence ("we don't do that - too much information isn't a good thing when you don't understand it"), she also doesn't approve of lchf but recommends calorie counting. She also recommends that I take in more fluids in the morning and reduce it later in the day so that I don't have to get up in the night and find myself on the floor and to change my days for going out so that I don't have to abstain from diuretics 2 days in a row. I wonder if my friend will be able to change the days of children's classes - there was some thought of a different day for the troublesome boys in the group. That might work.

Some ideas I will follow up from the GP then - others I'll ignore. I shall at least linger around this forum - I've realised today that I would miss you all - even if you don't miss me.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are all very kind and supportive. I'm not really angry about having diabetes - just at myself for letting it happen - ignorance, of course. Good news from today's appointment is 1) my kidney function is returning to something like normal for my age 2) my liver is no worse than it was last time 3) haemoglobin level has returned to where it ought to be. So that shows I have been doing something right. Iron is still low, but I think that has been the case for most of my life and hasn't harmed me yet.

As expected Dr didn't want to part with printed evidence ("we don't do that - too much information isn't a good thing when you don't understand it"), she also doesn't approve of lchf but recommends calorie counting. She also recommends that I take in more fluids in the morning and reduce it later in the day so that I don't have to get up in the night and find myself on the floor and to change my days for going out so that I don't have to abstain from diuretics 2 days in a row. I wonder if my friend will be able to change the days of children's classes - there was some thought of a different day for the troublesome boys in the group. That might work.

Some ideas I will follow up from the GP then - others I'll ignore. I shall at least linger around this forum - I've realised today that I would miss you all - even if you don't miss me.
Some good news, promising ideas and absolute drivel about us not missing you. Sort it out.:angelic:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb - I'm so pleased that your tests had positive results for you. No, my doctor doesn't approve of LCHF either. Most of them don't but they are slowly getting the message. x

So, today (Monday 27th January)

Bed time test last night: 5.2
FBG this morning: 6.1 - but was awake a lot in the night with some amazing shooting pains in my legs so that might have contributed. Pain (in type) was a lot like sciatica but not in the right places for sciatica. If you know what I mean. Anyway, easing off a bit now.

Breakfast: 100g Alpro coconut soya yoghurt, 80g fresh strawberries, 20g mixed nuts and seeds
2 hours later: 5.5

Lunch: 5.1
Green gloop

Dinner (will be - from a recipe) Braised Puy lentils with kale and slow-roasted cherry tomatoes - basically roast cherry tomatoes then sauteed veg and herbs braised with puy lentils and then stir in chopped kale for last 10 minutes - stir in roasted tomatoes and parsley and serve with a rocket salad drizzled with EVOO

Drinks: usual Black decaff coffee and water

I couldn't wait for the Sirtfood book so I downloaded their recipe book on to my Kindle - although I normally like recipe books in actual book form. For the next few days my dinners will be from taken that. Some of it looks nice - about half veggie and half omnivore I hope that the actual Sirtfood book has more recipes because this recipe book seems to contain quite a lot of the (boring) theory which is no doubt in the main book.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just to say.... the only doctor I've ever met that approved of LCHF was a locum doctor who had used it to manage her own diabetes. Unfortunately her views didn't fit in with the ethos of my GP's practice and they soon got rid of her.

Reactions: DJC3

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: homemade granola, one slice of burgen with butter
Lunch: Three stout flavoured chicken thighs from Morrisons counter, two mini samosas, cherry tomatoes and olives. Seven cherries (!) homemade chocolate granola and double cream
Tea: One high percentage sausage, gravy, peas and a few herby cubed potatoes. Glass of wine. Brie for afters
Snacks: Three squares Divine organic choc 85% with turmeric and ginger, and a natures valley protein bar (9 gms carbs)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That day when you wake at 4.00 am again and think why not be Popeye today? Plain old almond milk tea for breakfast. More tea. Heather and peat smoked salmon (smelled divine) and avocado with plenty of spinach and some Cropwell Bishop for lunch. Half a CCB (transit help) and 1 row Green and Blacks Raspberry and Hazelnut mid afternoon with Sencha tea. Broccoli, spinach and cheddar crustless quiche tonight. Tired more than hungry so probably ate more than I needed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s intake:
Breakfast was usual slice LivLife toast, butter as thick as the bread, tea.
Lunch was another slice of said toast piled with chicken liver pate (not my fave but it needed using and I hate waste.
Supper will be a 3 egg omelette with cheese and spinach. Mr PM is having meatballs in tomato & chilli sauce with spaghetti, will freeze the other portion, again not my fave but he lives it. Having a restorative Dingle gin & slimline.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry to hear about the hernia you are certainly being challenged so you deserve all those meals not causing a spike. Right now you need nourishment to repair everything and I hope and pray for a good recovery all round. Take care, best wishes to you.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@Annb pleased you managed to see Dr and had some good news but sounds like an old fashioned GP re you not having your results written down to look at!
YOuve also cheered me up that you are staying on the Forum you would be so missed so Im delighted that you are not heading off anywhere your chatty posts are much appreciated...... take care and meanqhile I m sending a friendly hug up there to you.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD as out and about , including a couple of hours in Birmingham first thing - just had coffee from flask to keep me going.
Fritatta made with spring onion, mushrooms, home cooked diced ham, cheese and two eggs flavoured with garlic granules and herbs. Pudding LC DD raspberry swirl chocolate brownie with yoghurt. (one more portion left for tommorow)
@Tori71 good to see you posting your meals again - looks delicious menu and the tumeric and ginger choc sounds amazing must look at it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Brunch rather than lunch today as ravenous by 10.15. Cafe meal of bacon, eggs and cheese.

Dinner was my best IP meal yet. Slow cooked shoulder of lamb with butter, rosemary, lemon zest and a touch of mint. Really tender and enough left for tomorrow’s lunch.

7D189999-6E57-45ED-99A5-229946540DD0.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all week 3 of the DD plan no breakfast until weekend but I’m sort of used to it now. Have swapped pretty much all the evening meals for one reason or another.
B: Black coffee
L: avocado, smoked salmon and sour cream flavoured with s&p @ fresh lime juice and zest. More coffee
D: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/indian-keto-chicken-korma I made the DD lc garlic naan to go with it.
@Annb I’m glad your results today were positive and even more glad you’ve decided to stick around. One of the nice things about this thread is that we can be as chatty or minimalist as we like in our posts.
@Quinn1066 sounds like you are doing really well in spite of everything, I agree with @ianpspurs your cheerfulness is a real inspiration.
@shelley262 my old way of eating was the same - often at work I would have a jacket potato and beans, no butter, no cheese. Weight watchers recommendation, What a boring meal.