What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Yesterday
B-water, green tea and supplements
L-none (too busy shifting 16ton of concrete around extension footings, glad I'm not a builder lol)
D- belly pork, 3 good sausages, some cream cheese and some yoghurt. Also had 2 large

Today
B-same as usual
L-good omelette with leftover sausages
D-steak, cream cheese & garlic stuffed mushrooms, coleslaw
P- peanut butter fudge (whoever posted this awhile back thank you, it's delicious every now and then)
Can I have the recipe for the peanut butter fudge please thank you, I love peanut butter. :D

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Yesterday Sunday
B half a lidl roll / peanut butter
L cheese salad /2 pieces of Diablo choc / hazelnut
S 1 pear
D Tried the leeks fried in butter with an egg in the middle [Deliciuos ] Thank you to the person who posted this recipe]

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday Sunday
B half a lidl roll / peanut butter
L cheese salad /2 pieces of Diablo choc / hazelnut
S 1 pear
D Tried the leeks fried in butter with an egg in the middle [Deliciuos ] Thank you to the person who posted this recipe]

And you know the best bit? I just discovered that Tescos sell chopped frozen leeks - so now I can have them ALWAYS in the freezer, and haul them out at need. If you dump the frozen leeks straight into the pan, they defrost in less that 5 mins.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
And you know the best bit? I just discovered that Tescos sell chopped frozen leeks - so now I can have them ALWAYS in the freezer, and haul them out at need. If you dump the frozen leeks straight into the pan, they defrost in less that 5 mins.
Thanks for that Brunneria, will buy some today. They were delicious. Might sprinkle some cheese on as well next time.

Reactions: 4 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
We had this last night and it is absolutely brilliant; put 2 bits of Parma ham slightly overlapping and spread with soft goats cheese and then wrap that around asparagus. We had 2 and a half each of those which is about right. Bake in the over on high heat for about 15 minutes. Eat with a simple green salad. It's so good! Nice salt hit, very tasty and the best bit of course is that it makes your pee smell funny. What's not to like!!?

You could change the cheese and use normal ham but it won't be as nice!

Reactions: 4 people
D

debrasue

I've never tried spinach before today (inspired by your breakfast). It was VERY watery. Would you mind giving me some tips/ideas on how you cook it?
I usually nuke mine in the microwave for 2 minutes on high - no added water, just the spinach. Then I drain it on kitchen paper and put a knob of butter on the top.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Salmon, salad, nuts for lunch. Yummy.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B- cheesy scrambled eggs
L- crayfish tails with raw spinach and mayo
D- oven baked salmon fillet with red pesto and cheese topping and green beans

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: coyo, cup of tea.
L: ribeye steak, garlic mushrooms, half a small jacket potato, lambs lettuce and cherry tomatoes. 2x slices of melon.
D: not sure yet as so stuffed from lunch, something small and eaten late. Probably ryvitas and a cocoa.:happy:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
For dinner, omelette and salad eaten in the back garden, with straps to finish:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

jojo broadie

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, Jojo!
Well, I've only been doing this since the beginning of March, but my BGs started falling straight away with LCHF and they are now consistently in the 'normal' range so I guess I must be doing something right!
I eat any sort of meat, including the deli offerings, as long as they don't contain lots of cereal (like luncheon meat). So ham, chicken, roast beef, roast pork, turkey, salami, corned beef etc all seem fine. Any sort of fish or seafood is good, too. I also eat eggs, virtually any sort of cheese, cream etc. but I am experimenting with lacto-free and dairy-free at the moment, because I think it may be aggravating my arthritis (although it may not be - I can't decide yet!).
Any sort of above-the-ground vegetables are great, but I check the carbs in fruit because fructose (fruit sugar) can bump up the numbers. Berries seem to be the best.
So cooking for your husband should be relatively easy - more or less any sort of meat - hot or cold - and heaps of veg or salad, followed by cheese and low-carb/gluten-free crackers, or fruit and natural yoghurt. (Coyo coconut yoghurt is totally gorgeous!) When you're ready to start baking, there are some really good recipes on the Low Carb forum on this website and also on here: http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/#uds-search-results
I hope this helps! :)
thank you so much ....I will try the baking site when I get the meals right lol ...his readings are between 6 and 8 most days what crackers do you recommend ....also where do you buy the Coyo yoghurt will give that a try too ...

jojo broadie

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Jojo my only add to Debrasue's response would be to check that meats have no added Dextrose in them (sugar in other words) as a lot do.....I can often be heard in the Supermarket exclaiming sugar in meat....Why!

Also try the dietdoctor.com webiste for some excellent low carb recipies And also The Harcombe diet more really good recipe's here.
thank you Lindy I didnt think you could get sugar in meat ...would this be in roast beef for example that you buy from supernarket deli counter ....

D

debrasue

B: Chocolate chia pudding & black cherries
L: Sukrin low-carb roll with Marmite & cheese
D (will be): Spinach & feta quiche with mixed salad & coleslaw

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Better food today

B: boiled eggs
L: left over chicken from last night
D: venison meatballs in a sauce of leeks, double cream and a Loyd Grossman Mushroom pan melt (super tasty, 2g carbs per serving) with asparagus and purple sprouting broccoli - and a Coyo to follow.

All done, will try not eat again today!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

D

debrasue

thank you so much ....I will try the baking site when I get the meals right lol ...his readings are between 6 and 8 most days what crackers do you recommend ....also where do you buy the Coyo yoghurt will give that a try too ...
Well, 6 and 8 is not bad for a starting point, so I imagine you'll be able to get lower than that quite quickly on LCHF.
I buy Nairns gluten-free wholegrain crackers from Tesco, (made from milled oats, 3.4g carbs per cracker) and they sell the Coyo natural yoghurt too.

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B 2 boiled eggs and a yogurt
Dinner and tea roast beef cauliflower green beans broccoli gravy
Supper cheese salad I think