What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cottage pie sounds good. I'm looking for a few simple recipes to add to my repertoire. Don't have a food processor (tiny flat, tiny kitchen) - would a hand held blender blitz cauliflower?
If you want it smoother I use a hand held blender on mine. I cover the bowl with one of these flat splatter guards from Lakeland (has the hole in the middle for the blender stick to go through) to stop getting splattered myself.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want it smoother I use a hand held blender on mine. I cover the bowl with one of these flat splatter guards from Lakeland (has the hole in the middle for the blender stick to go through) to stop getting splattered myself.

....and yes it is the recipe @Chook just posted that I use. It is unbelievably good cauliflower mash. For a cottage pie I would sprinkle to top with a mix of crumbled crispy bacon and more cheese before reheating in the oven.
Another very tasty straightforward recipe is my Oomi Carbonara. All done in 1 wok.
Chop up some bacon and slice some mushrooms. Fry them in a wok in a little butter and olive oil. Once cooked add a pack of Oomi Noodles (I get them in Tesco) and gently stir through (just takes a minute or so to warm them. Add a little double cream to the wok and some parmesan and black pepper to season and mix through. You can if you wish also add a beaten egg and stir it through but don't make the mix too wet. You just add cream , parmesan and black pepper to taste. It is REALLY easy to make and takes no time to make.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
....and yes it is the recipe @Chook just posted that I use. It is unbelievably good cauliflower mash. For a cottage pie I would sprinkle to top with a mix of crumbled crispy bacon and more cheese before reheating in the oven.
Another very tasty straightforward recipe is my Oomi Carbonara. All done in 1 wok.
Chop up some bacon and slice some mushrooms. Fry them in a wok in a little butter and olive oil. Once cooked add a pack of Oomi Noodles (I get them in Tesco) and gently stir through (just takes a minute or so to warm them. Add a little double cream to the wok and some parmesan and black pepper to season and mix through. You can if you wish also add a beaten egg and stir it through but don't make the mix too wet. You just add cream , parmesan and black pepper to taste. It is REALLY easy to make and takes no time to make.

Sounds good (apart from the mushrooms - am allergic. Onions might work in their place though.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting day today.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - none. Went for a 35 minute walk instead.

Dinner - bolognese with courgetti and grated cheese. Tasted really sweet. I've recently started recording my meals in an app - have never been a weigher and measurer, but was interested to see the nutritional breakdown of what I'm eating. Have always known this is my carbiest meal, but amazed to discover that contains 14g carbs - more than my daily total most days.

Drinks - 1 mug of tea with cream, 1 mug of tea with milk, 1 Diet Coke, sparkling water, tap water

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook
B

badcat

Tedious day today - 31/2 hours in a&e is not my idea of fun. Podiatrist sent me there to get my foot xrayed to check for micro fractures luckily not, just soft tissue / muscle damage
B - 1 slice live life toast with butter and marmite
L - small pkt peanuts - the only thing vagualy edible for a diabetic from the hospital shop
D - bolognaise with shiritaki noodles followed by a bit of oppo ice cream
Drinks 2x tea with lactofree milk, 1 cappucino, sparkling water
Thankfully sugars have been better behaved today - no big overnight liver dump

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Edging to normality bed 5.9 FBG 7.1 and pre breakfast was 6.9. Bit of rushing about as this is Festival Week so the town is really busy.
B. 2 scrambled eggs with parsley. Tassimo morning coffee with cream
L. Urban Fruit triple toasted coconut chips and another Tassimo morning coffee with cream
D. Salmon fillet with lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, boiled egg, 4 mozzarella pearls, 2 Walnuts and Helmanns. Also a slice of Hovis lower carb seeded with Lurpack.
A day of aqua fit , water running , hairdresser and general running about before the roads closed for the parade. Weather is rotten too.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and a bit of xylitol. After having coffee, I baked 9 low-carb roles and had one straight from the oven with melted butter.
Lunch: Another role with mayonnaise and north sea shrimp. Also five squares of 85% chocolate as a snack throughout the day.
Dinner: Pepper stuffed with ground beef, pumpkin, onions, cilantro, feta and goat cheese in a sauce of tomatoes and double cream with cinnamon and balsamico. Desert was home made low carb chocolate mousse and a glass of red wine.

Reactions: heh and Goonergal

perry1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People that moan for no reason
B-Scrambled egg 2 rashes of bacon mug black coffee
Midday-2 slices burgen bread with peanut butter mug black coffee
Dinner - lamb chops cauliflower cheese tomatoes mug green tea.
Water through out the day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeesubstitute with cream
L: forgot
S: 4pm found a kind nut bar! It had fallen down behind the bottles in the larder. Obviously, i had to eat it immediately :D
D: lamb heart stew with onions, toms, red wine vinegar, herbs and one new potato. Blueberries, cream and 70% choc.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What did it taste like, if you do not mind me asking ?
Delicious. Lamb heart is tough and flavourful, so it benefits from slow gentle cooking. It never goes as tender as stewing steak, but it goes to a firm but tender texture. Flavour is lamb but with something extra.

I love lamb but I resent the prices.

These lamb hearts were 3 for £1.70 at the supermarket. And I reckon 1 heart per person. Lots of recipes suggest stuffing them, so I may do that next :)

D

Deleted member 308541

These lamb hearts were 3 for £1.70 at the supermarket. And I reckon 1 heart per person. Lots of recipes suggest stuffing them, so I may do that next :)
I used to bring them home from work, and we used to stuff them with sage and onion seasoning if I remember right. Then bake them in the oven for a hour or so.

Might have to give them a try in a stew / curry one of these cooler days, not sure of the price here though.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm a bit squeamish about the idea of eating heart - same with kidneys and liver. I used to use them 30 odd years ago in casseroles but they were already diced.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, chipolatas, grilled tomato

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Raw prawns fried in butter with a touch of chilli, garlic and a squeeze of lemon on a green salad then mussels in white wine
I
Drinks: Tassimo Costs Americano with cream for breakfast, one lonely glass of Prosecco before dinner and sparkling mineral water for the rest of the day.

Reactions: heh and ziggy_w

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

B- nothing
Lunch and dinner unsure yet, just sucking on a halls sugar free throat sweet, have the throat from hell, ear ache and feel utterly miserable, tried a lemsip yesterday without thinking and thought how sweet it was, in the pre diabetes days I used to add honey to it.

Last edited: