What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Dont know how you guys do it that fast. Not had anything since a coffee at 8am. 9.1 A swim for 45 minutes 10. 1 walk round waitrose. Home for lunch and now 7.7

The first few fasts are the hardest but you do get used to it quite quickly. I don't think I could fast when taking lots of exercise like your 45 min swim, though. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fasting day today.

No breakfast or lunch.

Dinner - marinated chicken (marinade was cream, garlic, onions and herbs) with cauliflower cheese; raspberries and cream. Yum.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 8:10 -9.1
Swimming 45 min and a walk around waitrose- missed a test i know.
11:15- 10.7
12:25- 7.7
The other thing @shoesy24 when you combine a fast with exercise is BGs can rise before they fall again. I do a lot of swimming and Aqua Fit and the gym every so often. It was pretty disheartening to spend 45 mins in the gym and have your BGs rise. Basically, your body was looking for something instant to burn to make up for the energy expended. So, no food and your liver dumps into the system hence the BGS rise. I used to counter it by eating something like an oatcake (which I wouldn't do now I must admit) and it worked. As @Chook says though you get used to it and so does your body. I did an Aqua Fit class, had a swim and 30 mins of water running today and all I had was a lot of water. BGs dropped as they should.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

Hungry day today
B - 1/2 lidl protein roll with butter, coffee and cream
L - 1/2 protein roll with butter and pkt pork scratchings
D - bacon and halloumi filled protein roll, green salad and homemade coleslaw.

Been cooking all day and getting the freezer filled with low carb meals. Thanks @ chook for link to Bigos stew have made that today along with shepherds pie ( cheesy cauliflower / broccoli mash topping, ), keto cheesesteak casserole, and dd pulled pork.

Have a lovely evening / weekend all X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: steak and eggs with mushroom and tomato
L: definitely not needed!
D: cooking now: baked squash with parmesan, baked leek and cavelo (sp?) nero with a sprinkling of chia and assorted seeds (Mr B saw this on offer, and wanted to try it), with chicken thighs stir fried in garlic and chilli.

When the leek/cavelo nero bake arrived I was rather disappointed to see it had a blob of a white cheesey sauce on the veg AND has millet, quioa and rice in it. :( checked the ingredients and supposedly gluten free and low carb, but will wait and see. I wouldn't normally double up on the squash and a sauce like that, but will see what happens. The bake should be 12g a serving, and the squash is just 2.2g/100g so fingers crossed. :)

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BGs a bit more normal but the remnants of the bug remains. Bed 5.4 FBG 6.4 but got another 'wave' . This time it got to 8.4 and it came down in 1 hour unlike yesterday that took 3 hours.
B. Nothing
L. Nothing - plenty water
D. M&S pork saltinbucca, cauliflower cooked like the better than potato recipe but not mashed, skinny asperagus, 3 chestnut mushrooms and 4 tre colori pomodori.

MFP is back to telling me I'm not eating enough. Will have a rest from fasting when I'm away next week.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello
B. Raspberries and cream

L. Camambert and walnuts

1 hours swimming

D. COD fillet with Mediterranean vegetables cooked in the oven. Strawberries and cream.

@maglil55 I really admire how you can fast and so much swimming.

I keep seeing your ‘Camembert and walnut’ combo so I tried it the other day. Delicious!!
Although the Camembert stinks my fridge out haha.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BGs a bit more normal but the remnants of the bug remains. Bed 5.4 FBG 6.4 but got another 'wave' . This time it got to 8.4 and it came down in 1 hour unlike yesterday that took 3 hours.
B. Nothing
L. Nothing - plenty water
D. M&S pork saltinbucca, cauliflower cooked like the better than potato recipe but not mashed, skinny asperagus, 3 chestnut mushrooms and 4 tre colori pomodori.

MFP is back to telling me I'm not eating enough. Will have a rest from fasting when I'm away next week.

I wouldn't worry - MFP is always telling me I'm not eating enough but I haven't faded away to nothingness yet. :) :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Raspberries and cream

L. Camambert and walnuts

1 hours swimming

D. COD fillet with Mediterranean vegetables cooked in the oven. Strawberries and cream.

@maglil55 I really admire how you can fast and so much swimming.
Friday's have always been a rushed day. I'd maybe squeeze in scrambled eggs but I've been fasting for 2 weeks now. To be honest when I'm rushing about it isn't that big a jump to not eating and as long as I drink plenty water I'm fine. I enjoy my dinner at night though

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@marathonmona glad you liked it. Often I melt the Camambert just a little by microwaving for 20 or 25 seconds. I get complaints about the smell in the fridge too lol

Reactions: marathonmona

shoesy24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other thing @shoesy24 when you combine a fast with exercise is BGs can rise before they fall again. I do a lot of swimming and Aqua Fit and the gym every so often. It was pretty disheartening to spend 45 mins in the gym and have your BGs rise. Basically, your body was looking for something instant to burn to make up for the energy expended. So, no food and your liver dumps into the system hence the BGS rise. I used to counter it by eating something like an oatcake (which I wouldn't do now I must admit) and it worked. As @Chook says though you get used to it and so does your body. I did an Aqua Fit class, had a swim and 30 mins of water running today and all I had was a lot of water. BGs dropped as they should.

Thanks Maglil! Yeah of course you’re right. Could be that. I remembered i had a sugar free mint before swimming thats probably go something to do with it.

Reactions: ziggy_w

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a hungry day because of another bloody migraine and then busy busy busy.
My usual ten pints of coffee with cream, half a bag of pork scratchings and a small, round, yellow cucumber.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Friday....

Breakfast and lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Avocado with a few prawns then three tiny lamb chops with cheesey cauliflower mash and broccoli,

Dessert: 50g Alpro icecream

Drinks: Black decaff coffee until lunch time then sparkling mineral water until dinner - then a couple of glasses of red wine in to the evening.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. One small homemade low-carb peanut-butter cookie.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner at our favorite tapas place: Fried sardines, manchego cheese and two glasses of red wine. Later at home. Baked zucchini slices with olive oil; lamb strips with fennel, green onion and mushrooms in a sauce of sour cream, beef broth and and a bit of cheese; one more small low-carb peanut butter cookie.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting day again today.

No breakfast or lunch.

Dinner - has just been prepared and is smelling so good I will have to eat it soon. My first fat head pizza, topped with pepperoni, ham and bacon. All ready to bake. If needed dessert will be a small portion of chocolate chia pudding with cream.

Edited to add photo - pizza was successful and delicious. Would just bake the base slightly longer and maybe skip the tomato sauce and replace with fresh tomato.

E518B239-5A12-4388-8D4A-3A03180C90E2.jpeg

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still fasting and BGs still settling. Bed 5.9 FBG 6.6 and still got a morning 'wave' to 8.2 and again it came down quickly as I was off swimming with No 1 grandson this morning for a couple of hours. Grandparent duties now over for 10 days.
B. Nothing
L. Nothing - usual water
D. Chicken breast with bacon, leek, onion, cheese. Remains of yesterday's not mashed 'better than potato' cauli , asperagus and a few sprouts. 1/2 Lidl high protein roll with lurpack and a tablespoon of prawns (leftovers again).

I have that lemon posset made for tomorrow. Will be having a go at the low carb shortbread to go with it.