What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday ...

Was really hungry all day and couldn't stop eating. Let's see if I can remember it all.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. A small homemade low-carb peanut butter cookie, half a low-carb roll with mayonnaise and smoked sockeye salmon.

Lunch: Leftover baked zucchini chips with olive oil, lamp strips with fennel, mushrooms and green onion in a sauce of sour cream, beef broth and cheese, another small peanut-butter cookie.

Snack: 50g of 85% chocolate (8g of carbs altogether).

Dinner: A cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan; tuna sashimi with a sauce of soy sauce, low-carb honey, lemon, galangal, sambal oelek and olive oil; a glass of red wine.

After all this food yesterday, blood sugars were actually fine this morning at 5.1 mmol.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Better today. Bed 5.6 FBG 6.8 and I only got to 7.6 before it turned so hopefully I have parted company with my BG Mexican wave! I regard this as the first day of my holiday even although I don't go until tomorrow after the retinopathy test (bad planning). To celebrate I'm making a posh meal
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Nothing
D. Usual campari and soda and a wee prosecco (maybe two)
Start butterflied prawns with smoked salmon souffle and a chilli dip.
Main lobster thermidor with skinny asperagus
Dessert low carb lemon posset with raspberries and blueberries with a low carb shortbread.

https://www.lowcarb-ology.com/scottish-shortbread-cookies/

The thermidor I do a cross between a Rick Stein and a James Martin recipe mainly because I prefer gruyere on it. I'm organised so Hubby is happy.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Saturday....

FBG of 4.8!!!!!

Breakfast and Lunch: Nothing

At late afternoon I started feeling a bit 'wobbly' - tested blood and BG was at 3.2 but as it was close to dinner I just had a cup of tea and ignored it - I had just started the more obvious hypo symptoms when Mr C plated up dinner!

Dinner: Mr Chook's amazing lamb and aubergine curry with cauliflower rice and a side dish of his own recipe for dry but spicy spinach

Dessert: 50g Alpro choc icecream

BG stayed in the low 4s all evening

Coffee until lunch time then sparkling mineral water and red wine at dinner and in the evening

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday....

FBG of 4.8!!!!!

Breakfast and Lunch: Nothing

At late afternoon I started feeling a bit 'wobbly' - tested blood and BG was at 3.2 but as it was close to dinner I just had a cup of tea and ignored it - I had just started the more obvious hypo symptoms when Mr C plated up dinner!

Dinner: Mr Chook's amazing lamb and aubergine curry with cauliflower rice and a side dish of his own recipe for dry but spicy spinach

Dessert: 50g Alpro choc icecream

BG stayed in the low 4s all evening

Coffee until lunch time then sparkling mineral water and red wine at dinner and in the evening
That's great @Chook. I'm hoping I can get back to the 4's now that I seem to have parted company with this bug and I'm getting a rest! Well sort of. Not sure eating and drinking with 14 others qualifies as a rest !

Reactions: Chook and ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Better today. Bed 5.6 FBG 6.8 and I only got to 7.6 before it turned so hopefully I have parted company with my BG Mexican wave! I regard this as the first day of my holiday even although I don't go until tomorrow after the retinopathy test (bad planning). To celebrate I'm making a posh meal
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Nothing
D. Usual campari and soda and a wee prosecco (maybe two)
Start butterflied prawns with smoked salmon souffle and a chilli dip.
Main lobster thermidor with skinny asperagus
Dessert low carb lemon posset with raspberries and blueberries with a low carb shortbread.

https://www.lowcarb-ology.com/scottish-shortbread-cookies/

The thermidor I do a cross between a Rick Stein and a James Martin recipe mainly because I prefer gruyere on it. I'm organised so Hubby is happy.
I've tasted the edge of the shortbread and it tastes .......like shortbread! She certainly got the mix right in that. I didn't have hemp seeds so I substituted a 50/50 mix of flaxseed and chia seed - same quantity as recipe. Also I rubbed in the butter with fingertips rather than process (that's the way my Mum taught me to get things 'short' and you don't go against mummy's instructions). I see why it has to cool completely. It is still soft when it comes out so I moved it to a wire rack but left it in the mold. It hardens as it cools. Looking forward to this. Haven't had a bit shortbread in ages.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Another fasting day. No breakfast or lunch.

Dinner - complete change from plans as I was out longer than expected and really wasn’t feeling like cooking when I got home. Stopped by a local shop for a small doner kebab (no bread) with salad. Really hit the spot, but couldn’t finish it all. Once home I had some chocolate and hazelnut Oppo ice cream with cream. That ended up being about an hour after the first course!

Reactions: Chook and ziggy_w

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
Saturday
B. Raspberries and cream
L.camambert and walnuts
D. Salmon medallions with a soft cheese and salad. Strawberries and cream

Sunday
B. Raspberries and cream
L. Carvery. Roast gammon, red cabbage, cauliflower cheese and green beans with gravy.
D. Strawberries and cream.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: Out - 2 bacon, sausage, 2 eggs, mushrooms, black pudding, beans, tomato & a grained bread toasted. Tea.
A crumpet at about 2.30pm
T: Roast chicken, 2 rosties & roast parsnip, sprouts, baby carrots, gravy. G&T pre dinner ?& 1 vin rouge with dinner.
Tea during the day.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Ate lunch away from home. Two pieces of quiche (one feta-zucchini, the other pumpkin-camenbert) without the crust, two glasses of red wine.

Snack: Three small home-made low-carb peanut butter cookies, three squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Salmon sashimi with a soy-honey-lime-galangal-sambal oelek sauce, a piece of walnut cheese, one avocado, a piece of low-carb flatbread with butter.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - bacon, 2 eggs scrambled, grained bread toasted with peanut butter, milk, coffee.

Lunch - Bunless burger with bacon, blue cheese, garlic aioli, and lettuce. Small Caesar salad, sugar free jello, milk, tea.

Dinner Beef Bourguignon, not sure what else I having with it.

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Egg Bacon Mushrooms coffee
L. Bag of Pork Crunch (tesco) tea
D. Meatballs & cauli rice. 2 plums diet coke
Since being told off by DN last week (A1C 9.9) I have got my act together and am managing to keep my bg’s down. Can I keep this up for the next three months? History says no but somethings she said to me really have motivated me to try harder.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sunday....

Breakfast: Split and toasted Lidl protein roll with melted cheese and some baked beans

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Roast chicken, Mr Chook's sausagemeat stuffing balls (very yummy), one piece of roast parsnip, one tablespoon of glazed carrots, filled up my plate with cauliflower, brussel sprouts and runner beans. Home made sugar free cranberry sauce and gravy.

Dessert: The usual 50g of Alpro choc ice cream

Drinks: Tea with breakfast then black decaff coffee until lunch time then wine with dinner and in the evening. I never seem to drink enough water on Sundays... :oops:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Fasting again today - four days in a row now, and aiming to keep it up until Friday, when I go away for a few days for a family event at my Dad’s.

No breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was home made burgers (mince mixed with feta cheese, spinach, tomato and onion), with a side of cauliflower cheese; raspberries and cream and 2 squares Lindt 90% to finish.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Monday...

Breakfast and lunch - fasting

Dinner: - Sunday leftovers - roast chicken, sausagemeat stuffing ball, few bits of roast parsnip and glazed carrots - filled plate with brussels sprouts, cauliflower and runner beans, gravy, sugar free cranberry sauce

The usual 50g of Alpro choc icecream

Drinks: Coffee with breakfast then sparkling mineral water the rest of the day

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. One small homemade low-carb peanut butter cookie.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Four babybel cheeses, a handful of almonds.

Dinner: A homemade low carb roll with butter, one more small peanut butter cookie. Two glasses of red wine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t manage to fast today. Was all on track - interviewing all morning and a lunchtime meeting planned with a colleague. However he cancelled in earshot of my boss who decided she would take me and someone else to lunch.

Breakfast - skipped

Lunch - managed to stick to 2 eggs and 2 rashers bacon.

Dinner - interestingly eating lunch did not make me any less hungry before dinner. Ate my planned sea bass fillet with sautéed courgette, onion & broccoli followed by a small portion of chocolate chia pudding with cream and a couple of squares Lindt 90%.

Reactions: ziggy_w and heh

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I expect the more hawk eyed of you have noticed me chuntering on about being gluten free?
Well, I'm wearing a Freestyle Libre this week, so (for several reasons) I decided to try a bit more carbs.
- a friend of mind found a cafe that does GF panini and whisked me off there on Sunday as if she was handing me the Crown Jewels.
- and Mr B went shopping and came home with some GF bread and a couple of GF cakes - again with the expectation that I would be delighted.

Well, I was delighted that they cared. And that they thought of me. And lets face it, I like eating. So I decided (armed with my Libre) to go for it.

I also tracked carbs and went no higher than about 100g carbs a day, so still under 130g carbs, so still low carb. Sort of.

But my goodness... I don't enjoy being like this. I really don't.
I cut the fat to compensate for all the carbage, and instantly felt niggly, gnawing, snacknibbling tendencies emerge.
I needed to graze during the evenings, and I wanted to graze on carbs.
I needed to snack before bed to prevent hunger pangs interfering with sleep.
I found myself buying some new potatoes and tipping them into my braised red cabbage (they go pink!!!) and having them too...

And the carb cravings are just growing.

Blood glucose has hiked up to the 6s and 7s from the 4s to 6s.
And I could happily eat 3 x a day, plus snacks.

Fortunately, the carbs are nearly done, and tomorrow I will return to very low carb with RELIEF!

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
Coffee
B: Berries & greek yogurt, 2 bacon & 2 scambled eggs
L: Tuna, sweetcorn wholemeal roll, 1 plum, some raspberries & a Light & Free yogurt
T: Smoked cod fishcake, peas & about a dozen mixed veg chips. A couple of bits of cheese afterwards.
Tea & coffee during the day.