What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On this day after Thanksgiving it was a day of wonderful leftovers:

Bfast: 2 deviled eggs (one egg) with 3 rye crackers topped with cheese and small dabs of homemade cranberry sauce.
Supper: Smoked turkey (wow!), homemade cranberry sauce, roast Brussels sprouts. Desert: Squares of 90% Lindt chocolate, red wine, pecans.

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all. Passed a couple of milestones today - hit the 80 pound weight loss mark and also achieved a “normal” BMI of 24.6. Still a way to go, but a good sense of achievement.

No breakfast or lunch. Dinner - Nando’s. 3 plain wings, plain chicken leg with salad. Followed by 30g mixed nuts and 2 squares Lindt 90%.

Love the Lindt 90 percent.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hmmm
trying to remember last few days... been a bit busy.

had the homemade lamb curry several times, with lots of veg in it. cooked a chicken and some cranberry sauce (cranberries, OJ and zest, xylitol) and then made a chicken/mayo/cranberry sauce filling for my coconut wraps, and his sarnies. with salad. Bone broth (lots of). Mozzarella and beef tomatoes. Olives. Been trying Golden Milk to see if we like it. Mr B is trying a dairy elimination period, and I am psyching myself up to do it with him. We have been sampling various nut milks. Disappointed so far!

I finished the last of the real cream today *cue violins* wont buy more. unless I crack.
Tried some dairy free cheese today for the first time. Probably the last, too. Nearly spat it out. Haven't wanted to be so childish about vile foods since... well, since I was a child.
Oh, and I won't bother with vegan cream substitutes either. O the horror.

Suspect that the next few weeks my diet may consist, in roughly equal quantities; meat, veg, dairy free choc.
Never has Zero Carb looked so appealing.
Im off dairy at the mo and also tried some truly vile non dairy cheese from Tescos which has gone in the bin. To add insult to injury its full of carbs - nearly 6g per slice - not amused. I find the Alpro Soya cream acceptable in coffee, but not much else

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening. Another fasting day, so no breakfast or lunch.

Dinner - bunless bacon cheeseburger at Five Guys with lettuce, tomatoes, onion and mayonnaise. Followed by a bag of Awfully Posh Pork Crackling and 4 squares Lindt 90%.

Cold seems to be improving.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im currently off eggs, dairy and a few other things which has made food choices interesting
B - unsweetened soya & coconut oil yogurt with Aldi Paleo muesli and 50g raspberries
L - a bag of snaffling pig Jalapeno pork scratchings
D - fried up some onion, asparagus tips amd mange tout in olive oil with tamari then added some hot garlic chilli sauce caulirice and chilli seeds, followed by a cod loin
S - a few salted almonds
Drinks - sprkling water with lemon, ginger tea and 1 coffee with soya cream
33g carbs

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian_Laye

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had the day from hell. Bed on a very good 5.6 and FBG would have been 5.8 until my flaming brother sent my BP and BGs soaring to 9.8 ! He ended up In Thailand on holiday in hospital and hadn't taken his insurance details so it has been chaotic getting the details and getting things sorted for when he is fit to fly. And I had the boys staying.
B. Nothing
L. Nothing
D. Grabbed slice of low carb seeded with roast pork leg and jalapeno coleslaw.
Later on had remaining 5 mini chicken wings, pea shoots, 1/2 slice ox tongue, 1/2 slice roast pork and tablespoon coleslaw.

.......so much for my birthday. Now lying down with a VERY, very large Bailey's.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had the day from hell. Bed on a very good 5.6 and FBG would have been 5.8 until my flaming brother sent my BP and BGs soaring to 9.8 ! He ended up In Thailand on holiday in hospital and hadn't taken his insurance details so it has been chaotic getting the details and getting things sorted for when he is fit to fly. And I had the boys staying.
B. Nothing
L. Nothing
D. Grabbed slice of low carb seeded with roast pork leg and jalapeno coleslaw.
Later on had remaining 5 mini chicken wings, pea shoots, 1/2 slice ox tongue, 1/2 slice roast pork and tablespoon coleslaw.

.......so much for my birthday. Now lying down with a VERY, very large Bailey's.

Happy birthday!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Xylitol has carbs. Be careful.
Hi @Kalobe,

Sorry to reply to your post so late -- I hadn't been on this thread for two days and only saw it now.

Xylitol raises my blood sugars only minimally -- if at all. Yesterday for example, I woke up at 5.5 mmol and blood sugars peaked at 6.1 mmol after two cups -- but cream could have also played a role in this. So, I personally don't have any problems with it, but I can't speak for all as others may react differently to it.

I like xylitol because of its taste and because no insulin is involved in metabolizing it. It also gives me just so many more choices in what I can eat and makes being low-carb just so much more sustainable.

The only drawback to xylitol, in my opinion, is that it is dangerous to dogs (and some other pets, but not cats) -- as their metabolism interprets it as sugars, releases too much insulin and drops their blood sugars too low.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone. Slept in today, but really needed this.

Friday ...

Breakfast: Two cups of double decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol. Nothing else.

Lunch: Tuna sashimi with a homemade low-carb dip of lime, low-carb honey, soy sauce and mustard accompanied by half a low-carb roll with butter.

Snack: A bit of cheese and a wiener sausage.

Dinner: Homemade soup with beef and an assortment of vegetables and some homemade guacamole.

Happy birthday, @maglil55.

Great job on losing some more weight and being in the normal weight category, @Goonergal. This is a wonderful achievement.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing as I was out and about all day yesterday.

Snack: About three or four squares of 90% Lindt chocolate, which I had brought along.

Dinner: Another serving of the homemade soup with a table spoon of truffle butter (makes it taste so much more interesting), a cheese platter with olives and pickled gherkins.

Will spent the day in the kitchen making another batch of low-carb rolls, another red beet quiche, and a low-carb cheese cake.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Kalobe,

Sorry to reply to your post -- I hadn't been on this thread for two days and only saw it now.

Xylitol raises my blood sugars only minimally -- if at all. Yesterday for example, I woke up at 5.5 mmol and blood sugars peaked at 6.1 mmol after two cups -- but cream could have also played a role in this. So, I personally don't have any problems with it, but I can't speak for all as others may react differently to it.

I like xylitol because of its taste and because no insulin is involved in metabolizing it. It also gives me just so many more choices in what I can eat and makes being low-carb just so much more sustainable.

The only drawback to xylitol, in my opinion, is that it is dangerous to dogs (and some other pets, but not cats) -- as their metabolism interprets it as sugars, releases too much insulin and drops their blood sugars too low.
I'm the same ziggy - I use xylitol in baking and it has next to no effect on my BGs.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing as I was out and about all day yesterday.

Snack: About three or four squares of 90% Lindt chocolate, which I had brought along.

Dinner: Another serving of the homemade soup with a table spoon of truffle butter (makes it taste so much more interesting), a cheese platter with olives and pickled gherkins.

Will spent the day in the kitchen making another batch of low-carb rolls, another red beet quiche, and a low-carb cheese cake.
Interested in your red beet quiche ziggy. Do you have a recipe?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @maglil55. I am very happy to share my recipe with you.

To be honest, though, there is really no recipe and I tend to make it up as I go along.

Ingredients:
For the filling
- about 3 red beets.
- about three red onions.
- about 100g of smoked duck breast or similar
- about 50g of pecans
- one package of fresh sage

For the crust:
- about 1 heaping tablespoon of psyllium husk
- about 3 heaping tablespoons of almond flour
- some baking soda
- a bit of salt, ground caraway seeds and coriander seeds
- boiling water

For the egg mixture:
5 eggs
200 ml of whipping cream
200g of cream cheese
Some salt
Spices and grated cheese to taste.

Toppings:
Some soft cheese such as camenbert, gorgonzola, roquefort or feta (based on your preference)

Preparation:
- I start with peeling and slicing the red beets and then mix them with some salt, a bit of xylitol to enhance the taste, and olive oil. You could also add some spices.
- Put the beet slices on some baking paper and roast them at a low heat (to concentrate the flavor and to keep the quiche from getting soggy).
- Fry some red onions with ghee or olive oil, a bit a balsamic vinegar, salt, a bit of xylitol, and black pepper.
- Fry some sage in butter.
- Break some pecan nuts into smaller pieces (or walnuts if you prefer).

- For the crust, I use the diet doctor keto bread recipe and just use a rolling pin to stretch the dough into form. (I am sure you could do without the crust also)
- Prebake the crust for about 15 minute at 180 degrees centigrade.

- Mix about five eggs with cream cheese and whipping cream. Add salt and spices to taste. Mix in some other shredded cheese, the type will probably depend on the other ingredients and whatever leftovers you have in the fridge.

- Take the crust, layer the red beets, smoked duck breast (or ham or chicken or whatever you like), pecans, red onions. Top with sage leaves.
- Pour the egg mixture over the layers.
- Add some some sliced soft cheese such as camenbert on top.
- Bake until ready. I stick a tooth pick in the center. If it comes out clean, the quiche is ready.

Hope this makes sense and it's not too confusing. It should come out to about 3 percent of carbs.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Todays 33g carbs have been spent on
B - 35g Aldi paleo muesli, 150g unsweetened soya and coconut oil yogurt, 3 strawberries
L - 1 avocado, 45g smoked salmon, watercress and some roasted almonds
D - home made lamb and cauliflower curry
Drinks - 1 coffee with soya cream, sparkling water

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still on one meal a day.

No breakfast or lunch. Dinner was at Nando’s again (away for the weekend). 3 plain wings, plain chicken leg with salad. Followed by 25g almonds and 2 squares Lindt 90%.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maglil55. I am very happy to share my recipe with you.

To be honest, though, there is really no recipe and I tend to make it up as I go along.

Ingredients:
For the filling
- about 3 red beets.
- about three red onions.
- about 100g of smoked duck breast or similar
- about 50g of pecans
- one package of fresh sage

For the crust:
- about 1 heaping tablespoon of psyllium husk
- about 3 heaping tablespoons of almond flour
- some baking soda
- a bit of salt, ground caraway seeds and coriander seeds
- boiling water

For the egg mixture:
5 eggs
200 ml of whipping cream
200g of cream cheese
Some salt
Spices and grated cheese to taste.

Toppings:
Some soft cheese such as camenbert, gorgonzola, roquefort or feta (based on your preference)

Preparation:
- I start with peeling and slicing the red beets and then mix them with some salt, a bit of xylitol to enhance the taste, and olive oil. You could also add some spices.
- Put the beet slices on some baking paper and roast them at a low heat (to concentrate the flavor and to keep the quiche from getting soggy).
- Fry some red onions with ghee or olive oil, a bit a balsamic vinegar, salt, a bit of xylitol, and black pepper.
- Fry some sage in butter.
- Break some pecan nuts into smaller pieces (or walnuts if you prefer).

- For the crust, I use the diet doctor keto bread recipe and just use a rolling pin to stretch the dough into form. (I am sure you could do without the crust also)
- Prebake the crust for about 15 minute at 180 degrees centigrade.

- Mix about five eggs with cream cheese and whipping cream. Add salt and spices to taste. Mix in some other shredded cheese, the type will probably depend on the other ingredients and whatever leftovers you have in the fridge.

- Take the crust, layer the red beets, smoked duck breast (or ham or chicken or whatever you like), pecans, red onions. Top with sage leaves.
- Pour the egg mixture over the layers.
- Add some some sliced soft cheese such as camenbert on top.
- Bake until ready. I stick a tooth pick in the center. If it comes out clean, the quiche is ready.

Hope this makes sense and it's not too confusing. It should come out to about 3 percent of carbs.
Thanks I can live with that. I cook in a similar way and tend to fiddle with recipes. I suspect your 'crust' will be similar to a Fathead version I use on a chicken pot pie. It isn't pastry but it tastes good. I was curious what you would do with the beets but it makes sense (and I have my lovely new Kenwood to assist me )