Type 2 What might I eat gluttonously that won't cause a blood glucose spike?

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I especially am now unable to turn to food that I find comforting to soothe the sting of a challenge with blood glucose control, I was wondering if there is any tasty ingredient or combination of them available in a refrigerator or pantry in which I can consume in mass quantities until the space of that emotional void feels a little fuller?

Reactions: 10 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I especially am now unable to turn to food that I find comforting to soothe the sting of a challenge with blood glucose control, I was wondering if there is any tasty ingredient or combination of them available in a refrigerator or pantry in which I can consume in mass quantities until the space of that emotional void feels a little fuller?
Pork scratching....( I think you call them pork rinds ) does it for me :D

Reactions: 8 people

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am grateful for your suggestion and your vast knowledge on the right foods for diabetes. I keep kosher, which would definitely preclude any pork products, but if you can think of any other non-pork and non-shellfish related suggestions that would be a great help. I once saw a product called salmon jerky. I bet something like that might be like a pork rind. It is overwhelming to be in this food rehab situation.

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am grateful for your suggestion and your vast knowledge on the right foods for diabetes. I keep kosher, which would definitely preclude any pork products, but if you can think of any other non-pork and non-shellfish related suggestions that would be a great help. I once saw a product called salmon jerky. I bet something like that might be like a pork rind. It is overwhelming to be in this food rehab situation.

Drink more water, its kosher. re other foods sadly you cannot pig [ no pun intended ] out on proteins because your body can turn excess amounts into glucose, it called "gluconeogenesis". Grab a bit of celery, down some lettuce or go for a walk. Slurp some broth. We all went through this difficult adjustment phase. After all ,you get through Yom Kippur, so that you know that you can pass such tests.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
............also, things like tinned corned beef with a salad (and coleslaw) can brighten up an evening.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Very large quantities of cheese are always good, if you are going for gluttony. I also like to pig out on corned beef.

Reactions: 6 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I use celery sticks filled with peanut butter on the odd occasion that I need a quick snack.

Reactions: 8 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avocados are very filling and if you eat them with loads of cream cheese and a handful of walnuts that hits the spot for me
CAROL

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very large quantities of cheese are always good, if you are going for gluttony. I also like to pig out on corned beef.
Avocados are very filling and if you eat them with loads of cream cheese and a handful of walnuts that hits the spot for me
CAROL
I really like avocados a lot. I read this recipe on a website that suggested making a chocolate pudding out of an avocado with stevia and cocoa. I followed it exactly, but was shocked to discover that it tasted like a practical joke.

Reactions: 31 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are these 9 Bars low carb? Can't find the breakdown on their site.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As time goes on I need smaller snacks between meals (which are usually large). So I'm usually satisfied with a small piece of high-cocoa chocolate, or a teaspoonful of peanut butter, or a handful of mixed nuts.
If I'm determined to defy the gods I take a bath and while in it eat very slowly some berries and double cream with chocolate grated over the top.
If I'm REALLY rebellious I have some home-made almond/flax "bread" and dripping with salt & pepper.