What numbers do you need to qualify?

Bill_Hobbs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. I'm very ignorant about diabetes. So would someone please explain to me how they have measured the amount of sugar in my body, & how much, in your body takes you up to the level of a diabetic? I have started a carb & booze free diet in an attempt to put this into remission. I'm prepared to stick to it untill June, if that's what it takes.
Help please?

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

There are 2 main diagnostic tests for diabetes. The primary one is an HbA1c. This measures your blood glucose over the previous 2 to 3 months, giving a very rough estimate. The second is an oral glucose tolerance test, where they give you a large glass of glucose (Lucozade normally) then test your reaction to it after an hour and 2 hours. That tells them how well your own insulin is working.

Perhaps you could tell us what your test results were? If you don't know them then you need to find out. You can either see these on-line if your surgery has this option (all surgeries in England were supposed to have done this by April 2016 but some are a bit behind) Or you can ring up and ask for a print out. It is important for your future control that you get these.

HbA1c under 42 is non-diabetic
HbA1c 42 to 47 is at risk of diabetes (known as pre-diabetic)
HbA1c 48 and above is diabetic

Are you on any medication for diabetes and if so, what?
Before we try to help with your diet properly we need to know!

PS Diabetes won't go away in June. A suitable way of eating is for life, not a few months!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Bill_Hobbs and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately diabetes is for life and not just for Christmas!
Depending on what your blood sugar level is, you might be able to bring it down by June. Many of us on here have done that by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating.
But even if you do get down to non-diabetic level you will still have to watch what you eat and drink. Going back to your previous food and drink will probably put you back into the diabetic range.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My own experience is that it is possible to attain normal blood glucose levels on a diet which is not at all difficult to maintain. I am now eating higher amounts of carb with lower blood glucose levels than when I was newly diagnosed, and that might prove to be ongoing, but it isn't something I'm counting on nor do I regard it as essential.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only very few get rid of their diabetes , I also haven't capitulated yet So I keep on loosing weight to see if I can get a miracle

Reactions: Prem51

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes is a bit of a shock. It is possible to fix your high blood glucose levels with a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) in a few months diet as many members on here can testify. However, you will need to maintain a low carb diet so you don't revert to high blood sugars again.

Best to get a Blood Glucose meter to measure your self and to check what types of food raises your sugar levels. If you measure before eating and two hours later you can tell. Typically, a reading of 8.5 or below 2 hours after eating is good. If much higher then think again. Last week I discovered my reading was 10.2 after eating porridge in the morning, so I have stopped eating it.

Fruit such as bananas can also raise your blood sugar as can orange juice.

Bill_Hobbs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. I'm very ignorant about diabetes. So would someone please explain to me how they have measured the amount of sugar in my body, & how much, in your body takes you up to the level of a diabetic? I have started a carb & booze free diet in an attempt to put this into remission. I'm prepared to stick to it untill June, if that's what it takes.
Help please?
Hi and welcome,

There are 2 main diagnostic tests for diabetes. The primary one is an HbA1c. This measures your blood glucose over the previous 2 to 3 months, giving a very rough estimate. The second is an oral glucose tolerance test, where they give you a large glass of glucose (Lucozade normally) then test your reaction to it after an hour and 2 hours. That tells them how well your own insulin is working.

Perhaps you could tell us what your test results were? If you don't know them then you need to find out. You can either see these on-line if your surgery has this option (all surgeries in England were supposed to have done this by April 2016 but some are a bit behind) Or you can ring up and ask for a print out. It is important for your future control that you get these.

HbA1c under 42 is non-diabetic
HbA1c 42 to 47 is at risk of diabetes (known as pre-diabetic)
HbA1c 48 and above is diabetic

Are you on any medication for diabetes and if so, what?
Before we try to help with your diet properly we need to know!

PS Diabetes won't go away in June. A suitable way of eating is for life, not a few months!

Thank you all so much for your replies. I shall be off to my surgery for my results & take it all in before deciding on my future diet. Less spuds & bread, & back to the Pub would cheer me up no end!!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Bill, you probably can go back to the pub, but make it whisky or wine, not beer.

Sadly I don't like whisky (unless in a creamy sauce with a steak!) and hate red wine, so seeing as pubs don't do diet lemonade I normally have a glass of water! I'm very cheap to take out for a drink :) After a bad experience from white wine (far toooo much by accident and was very drunk and didn't remember the night before) I have hardly ever touched any alcohol in 21yrs!