What the verdict on curries? What can I have?

ian1968

Just about to order a takeaway curry - first one, post diagnosis - and I was just wondering what the verdict is on curries for diabetics. Are there any dishes that are particularly good for diabetics? And any that I should avoid? Are creamy sauces good or bad? I'm vegetarian, so hopefully that will make it easier.

Mmmm, curry...

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I had 1 poppadom.....their mixed grill with some lentil stuff really nice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The rice is just about all carbohydrate. You can get away with it if you only eat half a portion now and save the rest for later. Your sugar level is likely to be quite high if you eat it all at once.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ian1968 said:
Just about to order a takeaway curry - first one, post diagnosis - and I was just wondering what the verdict is on curries for diabetics. Are there any dishes that are particularly good for diabetics? And any that I should avoid? Are creamy sauces good or bad? I'm vegetarian, so hopefully that will make it easier.

Mmmm, curry...

You should limit sugar, flour, rice and potato until you know what they are doing to you. The sugar is obvious. Flour is the next worst for a lot of us.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Very much an individual thing Ian. I do eat rice/chappati but no more than a large dessertspoon of basmati rice, that doesn't affect my levels. I am not a veggie but do add spinach and cauliflower dishes to bulk out the main, sometimes I don't even bother with rice.
I am very much a fan of saag paneer and have just learnt how to make it at home successfully alongside chicken curry..there are so many veggie side dish options that I honestly don't think you really need the rice or bread.

I do avoid creamy sauces like the plague because as far as I am aware they are often very sweet, I just don't like the taste either.

Best thing is to halve your normal portion of rice/bread etc and see how your reading is 2 hrs after eating.

Enjoy!! :D :thumbup:

GlazedDoughnuts

If you don't eat rice with it, you could probably gobble up as much meat curry until your hearts content.

Add in the rice/bread/excessive amounts of veg and then your blood sugar will rise. Basmati rice in small quantities may be ok for you.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
GlazedDoughnuts said:
If you don't eat rice with it, you could probably gobble up as much meat curry until your hearts content.

Add in the rice/bread/excessive amounts of veg and then your blood sugar will rise. Basmati rice in small quantities may be ok for you.

GD, the opening poster has mentioned that he is a vegetarian. :)

Grazer

Agree with above. If you have a small amount if rice, make sure it's basmati (pilau is basmati). No Nan bread, but I have a SMALL chapati. The curry itself is ok, although I also avoid the sweet creamy sauces. Jalfrezi is often lower carbs than others.

l0vaduck

I am vegetarian too. I just don't bother with rice or bread, but I do eat poppadums. My favourite dish is Dall samber, which is a mixture of lentils and vegetables. As it's a side dish the portion is a reasonable size and as Indian takeaways are quite fatty it's quite low GI. I very often have two side dishes rather than one main. For me, rice is a very boring food - I don't know why people insist on serving it!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Sorry not vegetarian but here's my standard curry that I honed to perfection over a number of weeks so that it doesn't spike:

A dry chicken curry in a thick sauce.
Add a chicken tikka starter
Add 3 small onion bhajis
Add 1 spinach and garlic bhaji
Add 2 level desert spoons of pilau rice.

Squeeze the lemon juice over the top that you get with the rabbit food that comes with the chicken tikka starter.

Take you Metformin before consuming...

ian1968

Thanks everyone.

I ended up having a fairly regular curry in the end. A smaller amount of rice than I used to have - and home cooked wholegrain rice rather than ordered in - and then a bit of creamy vegetable/paneer dish, some mushroom bhaji and some tarka dahl, with a couple of small bits of naan too. Felt fine.