What type of diabetes do you have, and do you work?

What type of diabetes do you have, and do you work?

• Yes - Type 1

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • No - Type 1

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • Retired - Type 1

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Yes - Type 2

Votes: 106 40.8%
  • No - Type 2

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Retired - Type 2

Votes: 33 12.7%
  • Yes - Other

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • No - Other

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Retired - Other

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This poll is totally anonymous - even administrators can't see who's voted!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
May I ask what it is you are looking for in this poll?

It just seems a very odd poll as you are not asking if members are retired or unable to work through diabetic complications, I do not work but neither do I have any diabetic complications so I would hate to vote and find am part of a statistic that is incorrectly arrived at.

Hope you see what I mean and dont mind my asking :D

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sid Bonkers said:
May I ask what it is you are looking for in this poll?

It just seems a very odd poll as you are not asking if members are retired or unable to work through diabetic complications, I do not work but neither do I have any diabetic complications so I would hate to vote and find am part of a statistic that is incorrectly arrived at.

Hope you see what I mean and dont mind my asking :D
Good point about our retired members - Added in those options! People are also welcome to post what they do for a living if they do work.

We're just interested to know whether people are in work or not so we can put out more helpful information in the future :thumbup:

Snodger

Sorry to be annoying but I'm a student... do you want me to post that I work (because I am still subject to having to manage my diabetes around meetings/lectures/presentations/deadlines and schedules etc) or do you want me to say 'other' (because I am not actually an employee)?
or maybe you should add 'student' to your ever growing list... hee hee.

Cupcake61

I have type 1 diabetes on mdi, I am hoping soon to start on an insulin pump, so any advice! Would be very helpful! Obviously I do not know yet, what problems might occur, but to get advice from someone who is currently using the pump will be excellent!!!

Failure

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Needles Of Any Kind :(
I have type 2 diabetes, and i was taking 1 metformin twice a day, Then that was changed to 2 metformin twice a day, And now i am taking 3 metformin a day. And if my sugar levels are still the same in 3/4 weeks i will have to inject my self with insulin.

I am not looking forward to injecting my self as i have a fear of needles.

I am not working and have not been able to work for some time due to a lower back problem i have spine curvature disorder.

Its kind of funny because i had not been to see my doctor for over ten years due to problems leaving the house, Suffering with social phobia & agoraphobia, etc. So i went to the doctors a few months ago with my back problem and through having several blood tests it turns out i am diabetic.

Inkha

Administrator said:
I am retired i.e. do not work. I am very busy regardless and often wondered how I managed to work as well :lol: I have become a diabetic Typ 1 through the loss of my pancreas 18 mths ago when I had 2 tumors at the head and tail of the organ! My symptoms were so severe that I saw myself to the GP IN TIME to be operated on the following week. 7 wks hospital and here I am after 18 mths feeling rather well and almost back to normal re energies etc. Unfortunately, I did suffer a post op hernia which I wont have seen to since I have had my stint in hospital for some time to come. I manage my diabetes quite well with insulin injections a.m. and p.m. and not eating cake all day. I feel that I can eat almost anything as long as it is around the same times during the day and not 1 lb of chocs as an after................Inkha

smartgem71

I am type 2 dietbetics for 7yrs now . I am on Insaline four time a day .

Humalog fast release 100 16 dose 3 times a day morning lunch and dinner .

Lansturs Insaline 48 slow release at night

And I take my blood sugars before I take Insaline and after .

chatterton

I'm a 28 year old male who had had type 1 diabetes for 3 years now.And on novorapid 4 times a day,and levemir 1 at night

I have recently been feeling tired all the time and upset with all the different information that keeps being changed and don't know what to do :(

Has any one got any useful tips or information that could possibly help me

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm Type 2 and mostly retired. But I still do some work occasionally. I don't have diabetic complications - just age! :lol:

Viv 8)

andreawalker

Type of diabetes
HCP
possible type 2 goin through tests i have pancreatic insuffiency and they believe this is affecting my insulin production

Dinsdale

Failure said:
I have type 2 diabetes, and i was taking 1 metformin twice a day, Then that was changed to 2 metformin twice a day, And now i am taking 3 metformin a day. And if my sugar levels are still the same in 3/4 weeks i will have to inject my self with insulin.

I am not looking forward to injecting my self as i have a fear of needles.

I am not working and have not been able to work for some time due to a lower back problem i have spine curvature disorder.

Its kind of funny because i had not been to see my doctor for over ten years due to problems leaving the house, Suffering with social phobia & agoraphobia, etc. So i went to the doctors a few months ago with my back problem and through having several blood tests it turns out i am diabetic.

I`d just like to say I too had a fear of needles. Thanks to the great support I had from the doctor I overcame this. I was guided through my first injection and it really isn't that bad, believe me. It changed my life, so thoroughly worth it!

Andrewpasha

I am not a diabetes patient. but my uncle is a diabetic patient. I want to know about its cure and its Precautions. i was reading this topic so I want to share with you.
Type 1 is called Diabetes mellitus type is a insulin dependent and fatal unless treated with insulin. Common method of its treatment is injection. Actually type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune disease where the body’s immune system destroys the insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas. It is also known as “Juvenile-onset” diabetes. 10-15% of all people have this disease. Its patient can of any age.
Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes. Its patients are 85-90% in number of all people with this disease. It’s also known as “onset diabetes”. In origin it is strongly genetic however other factors like excess weight, inactivity, high blood pressure and poor diet are major risk factors. It can run in families but the exact nature of how it is inherited is not known.
Frequent urination, polydipsia, xerostomia, polyphagia and weight loss are the symptoms of type 1.

Leighton

Administrator said:
I have type1 and I work full time, I'm 28 and was diagnosed 2 months ago I'm finding it really hard to adjust I suffer from server depression and this diabetes does not help! My sugar levels are always around. 20,s. I had 1 leaflet tell me what to do and that was it. I had lost my vision was dehydrated all the time and my GP told me I had a cold I collapsed and went unconscious for 2 days while in A&E. I having these my tummy is severely bruised and pain full evertytime I inject ;( ;( ;(

stephiesut

I am type 2 and I dont work. Buts I dont not work because of my diabetes.

Well I say I dont work, but I have four young children and a disabled husband who I am a carer for so I work harder these days than I did when I officially worked! And get paid a lot less!

Diabetes runs in my family though, both my parents are/were diabetic. My dad had a stroke caused by his diabetes and sadly passed away shortly after. Mum has diabetes though and is twice my age but fit as a fiddle! She puts me to shame

I dont have any complications though, just very very high bg levels so have recently been put on Gliclazide as well as the metformin and test daily and have 10 weeks to get it down or else I have to go onto insulin (my dad was insulin dependant)

I am keeping my fingers crossed!

glenmoray

I was diagnosed with Diabetes.in February 1978 and since then have been in full time employment. I've found I can live a near normal life. Only testing my glucose levels and injecting and eating within 1/2 hour is my only difference I do. My work collegues all know diabetes and are fine about me injecting in front of them. My managers are completely different though. They keep an eye on me waiting for me to have a hypo. When I do they have me in the office trying to get me to move departments out of their way. I work in the NHS, you would think they know better.

purrple11

I'm Type 1 and a marketing manager for a large entertainment company. I've been diagnosed since age 12 and am now 31.
I've always worked in entertainment including film, television and music. I've never found my diabetes to be a problem when finding work and rarely whilst in work - although I can't say I've always been sensible about it, putting the job before my diabetes control.
Now I'm a bit older I have become more sensible and am very lucky to work for an understanding company who allow me more flexibility. The technology available now for greater control of blood sugars is also fabulous for someone with a rather hectic lifestyle!