What type of diabetes do you have, and do you work?

What type of diabetes do you have, and do you work?

• Yes - Type 1

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • No - Type 1

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • Retired - Type 1

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Yes - Type 2

Votes: 106 40.8%
  • No - Type 2

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Retired - Type 2

Votes: 33 12.7%
  • Yes - Other

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • No - Other

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Retired - Other

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimmary

Administrator said:
This poll is totally anonymous - even administrators can't see who's voted!
I have Type 2 diabetes and am a semi-retired rancher. I am 60 years old, have had Hodgkins cancer 12 years ago and am now getting treated for Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I have also had a heart attack 6 years ago. I am debating trying to treat my borderline diabetes with diet before I start taking any medication. Does anyone out there have any advice on this.

petertremelling

Hi, I am type 2 since 2001, (mum and 2 uncles had type 2 in the 1960s) I work as a full-time carer to my wife who is very poorly, so my days/evenings/nights are flexible. I am presently being treated with Metformin/Pioglitazone/insulin and am presently adjusting to get the numbers better.

flicc90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 now working at Tescos for 6months as had to leave my caring job because of my diabetes

Sent from my HTC One X using DCUK Forum mobile app

saady1950

type 2
retired
age 64
third world country
kenya...mombasa
can not afford medications
lack of strips and glucometer
need suppliments
hypertensive
enlarged prostrate
need help

Leeroy1303

I'm type 1 for 27 years I work as a security officer in a shopping centre and also work part time as a door supervisor in a nightclub ( bouncer) and have done so for 14 years

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
chatterton said:
I'm a 28 year old male who had had type 1 diabetes for 3 years now.And on novorapid 4 times a day,and levemir 1 at night

I have recently been feeling tired all the time and upset with all the different information that keeps being changed and don't know what to do :(

Has any one got any useful tips or information that could possibly help me

What is "all the different information that keeps being changed" that you are referring to .. please give an example?

BTW: I have sent you a PM about this but no reply so far.....

Jonty

MrsBRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worked for a massive mobile phone company in a call centre for over 7 years now & done every shift thrown at me & always had to get letters from my doc to say how the shifts affect me & fight until I get breaks allocated.
Finally over a year ago I was put onto a 9/5 mon/fri shift & i managed to get my blood sugars below 10 regular exercise healthy eating & lost over 1stone in weight. I felt great on this shift.
Then April this year another shift rewrite ( god only knows why this happens at lease once a year ) & I was put on 12hrs 3on3off. I've had really bad hypos at work. 1.7 & I couldn't talk. No one cares. Paramedics should of been called.
I'm sick of fighting again for a shift change. This is affecting me mentally now. I know I need to get back in control but its impossible on shifts . Occupational health have said earlier this year that basically the shift I was on ( office hours ) is perfect so leave me alone. Now they've said the 12hrs have affected my health change it. My doc has sent letters & then an independent doc has said the same.
I've now been offered 1 week early shift & 1 week late shift. How is this regular ? Been told there's lots of diabetics that cope. I've coped but after having type 1 now for nearly 30 years & epileptic for 10 years I know this is knocking years off my life I will die from this disease. The docs have sent these letters for me. Not other diabetics. No reasonable adjustments have been made for me. Just moved onto another team with that shift.
I'm off work sick at the mo. but I'm sick of being sick. I want to be working & healthy & happy.

I might have to seek legal advice for this now. Fight for all diabetics in a company without a disabled sickness policy !!!
These massive company's are bullies.

There moan over. X

COLAGUZZLER - read your comment. You could be coeliac. It's related to diabetices. It's good to know someone else has epilepsy as well as diabetices - life is hell at the mo for me :0(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App