What veg should I grow?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the past few years I have grown a variety of veg with mixed results. Courgettes obviously do really well, so I'll be growing them again this year. I would love to grow cabbage and kale but previously Cabbage White butterflies have taken great delight in laying their eggs on my plants, which caterpillars have then chomped their way through. Spinach has been good so will try that again, though it does seem to bolt quickly. Mixed results with tomatoes. So my question is, what veg have you found easy to grow and is there any way of keeping butterflies off my greens?!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over the past few years I have grown a variety of veg with mixed results. Courgettes obviously do really well, so I'll be growing them again this year. I would love to grow cabbage and kale but previously Cabbage White butterflies have taken great delight in laying their eggs on my plants, which caterpillars have then chomped their way through. Spinach has been good so will try that again, though it does seem to bolt quickly. Mixed results with tomatoes. So my question is, what veg have you found easy to grow and is there any way of keeping butterflies off my greens?!
I'm afraid I tend to kill plants by neglect. I do manage to grow some herbs in pots, though. My father was a keen gardener. I seem to remember he planted marigolds near the green veg to deter aphids, and mint (in pots as it tends to spread like wildfire) next to the cabbages as it deters the moths and cabbage white butterflies. Probably why he didn't let me plant flower seeds near his veg garden. I liked flowers like seet peas and lavender but so do butterflies and bees.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Due to a long boring saga of me being unable to get down to the garden before Easter this year, I'm well behind on digging and planting. Add to that is me thinking for the first time about growing things that are good for my diet. So no spuds, sweetcorn and probably fewer tomatoes and instead I'll probably try French beans, purple sprouting and the compulsory courgettes. I can probably get away with peppers for salads.
I did see in the garden centre yesterday, some Tiger Nut plants, which you grow like peanuts. Has anyone ever tried these?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never heard of tiger nuts before - interesting! Found this information: https://hartley-botanic.co.uk/magazine/can-i-grow-tiger-nuts-uk/ Which garden centre did you find these in @nomoredonuts? I may well be tempted to give them a go! Thank you for the tips for keeping away the insects @Pipp , I'm going to attempt planting my mint in with the kale and cabbages and see if that works. May also attempt romanesco just because it looks pretty!

Reactions: Pipp

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I've never heard of tiger nuts before - interesting! Found this information: https://hartley-botanic.co.uk/magazine/can-i-grow-tiger-nuts-uk/ Which garden centre did you find these in @nomoredonuts? I may well be tempted to give them a go! Thank you for the tips for keeping away the insects @Pipp , I'm going to attempt planting my mint in with the kale and cabbages and see if that works. May also attempt romanesco just because it looks pretty!
My neighbour always says you don't grow veg to save money - you do it for pleasure. So I might try the romanescos too.

I had had a day out near Lulworth Cove in Dorset and wandered into a Wyevale nearby. Tiger Nut plants might be available across the country as they are a national garden centre. (I've had Horchata in Spain and thought about making a less sweet version at home. Its a bit like Almond milk.)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My neighbour always says you don't grow veg to save money - you do it for pleasure. So I might try the romanescos too.

I had had a day out near Lulworth Cove in Dorset and wandered into a Wyevale nearby. Tiger Nut plants might be available across the country as they are a national garden centre. (I've had Horchata in Spain and thought about making a less sweet version at home. Its a bit like Almond milk.)
I agree with your neighbour! Certainly no element of gardening has ever saved me money!
A number of Wyevale garden centres near me so I go on a Tiger Nut hunt, thank you.

Reactions: nomoredonuts