What were your honeymoon phase experiences?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 16 year old son was diagnosed with T1D 9 weeks ago, he's currently only taking 4u's of abasaglar before bed, no novarapid needed with meals. He's been like this for about 5 weeks.

D

Deleted Account

When I was first diagnosed, I was quickly on a basal/bolus regime and needed both Lantus and NovoRapid. I think it was about 10 units of Lantus and what felt like a random dose of NovoRapid: I was not told about carb counting for the first 5 years so took about 4 units for a meal which I increased if the meal was big a decreases if the meal was small.
My honeymoon period lasted a couple of years after which I saw my insulin requirements increase ... it was a slow rise and probably resulted in another 50% insulin compared to when I started.

Reactions: Claire.swain78
Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I was first diagnosed, I was quickly on a basal/bolus regime and needed both Lantus and NovoRapid. I think it was about 10 units of Lantus and what felt like a random dose of NovoRapid: I was not told about carb counting for the first 5 years so took about 4 units for a meal which I increased if the meal was big a decreases if the meal was small.
My honeymoon period lasted a couple of years after which I saw my insulin requirements increase ... it was a slow rise and probably resulted in another 50% insulin compared to when I started.

Thanks for your reply! Oh wow, I hope my sons lasts this long! He exercises, eats well & has really taken this diagnosis in his stride

izzy_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly my honeymoon period didn't last as long! Mine lasted about a year and I definitely wish I had realised diabetes wouldn't always be as easy as it was during that time! I was originally on a carb to novorapid ratio of 1:20 but it has now been changed to 1:10. My long acting insulin has also had a 50% increase. My advice would be to enjoy it while it lasts

Reactions: Rodrigo_Peroni