What would be a good breakfast?

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A lot can be said for not having any breakfast, then you have a lower insulin level for longer extending the overnight fast until lunch time. Sometimes when I do want a snack in the morning I have a handful of olives maybe with some cheese.

I don't think skipping breakfast would work with some medicines like metformim which states take with food
It' plays up enough with food
Anyone have opinion on this?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I couldn't agree more. We have (in the west) been totally brainwashed that breakfast should be something out of a cardboard box, that looks as if it too were made of cardboard. Just think about what that "stuff" actually is. Processed, coloured, extruded, pressed, super heated, puffed up with extra air to make it look more and not the slightest resemblance to any real food stuff that would have been recognised pre-industrialisation. And yet, we've all fallen for it: essential fibre, added vitamins, energy to enable you to start the day. Why not give the kids a bowl full when they get in from school (they can join the increasing numbers of child T2 diabetics).
And yet, if you travel around the world, to the less westernised parts, breakfast will be miso soup in Japan, "curry" in India, whatever the people you are with would eat the rest of the day.
Eat Real Food! Say NO to cardboard!

Gosh, I feel better for that little rant,
Sally
And the "breakfast" means first thing in the morning, as opposed to "breaking" your "fast", which you can do at any time.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think skipping breakfast would work with some medicines like metformim which states take with food

Given the long half life of Metformin, it makes little difference what meal you have it with. Also, as far as I know, the only reasons to have it with a meal is to reduce the **** side effects, so you may be OK taking it without a meal. As a complete day's fast will give more benefit than the Metformin, just skip it on fasting days if needed. (Other meds need considering on their own bases talk to your chemist if needed to get advice.)

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
omelettes, as many of you have said. i also often eat smoked fish for breakfast, usually with salad but also with any veggies left-over from the night before. when i cook lentils or tofu with veggies for dinner, which i do a few times over a fortnight, I always make enough so that I can get at least one breakfast out of a batch as well. i've become a tofu convert - never was interested in it before, but I've found it is quick, easy, can be made very tasty, and best of all, seems to have virtually no effect on my BG levels - yaay!

Reactions: Ultramum

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If breakfast is skipped many find that metformin is not required, as often the act of skipping breakfast will result in lower average insulin with the body (possibly more weight loss), lower blood sugars (the very fact of not ingesting food which could raise blood sugars). I have seen more posts during my time on this forum where those who have dropped metformin have not returned to its use and have got by on other protocols.

There are meant to be some protective elements to using metformin for the cardiovascular system and I believe if you have insulin resistance it helps to allow the uptake of glucose into the cells by "oiling" the receptors of the cells to accept your own insulin. For some like me metformin can interfere with kidney function. It tends to be an educated choice for Type 2's who have good control / understanding of their personal circumstances.

frankbegbie

Today was my first day of a proper Low Carb High Fat diet.

Kippers, mushrooms and scrambled egg this morning.

I was worried I might not have enough energy to complete my swim.

I had no problems.

Dinner was 3 pieces of belly pork, one chicken thigh,
steamed carrots and cabbage, with some butter.

Plenty of water throughout the day.

Cauliflower with some minced beef for tea.

No snacks.

Giving myself two months on this diet, following it strictly.

If it doesn't work I'm giving up.

Reactions: MRSROK and Ultramum

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are on a diet which has been making people feel great for about 150 years - it helped many people lose weight when William Banting published his Letter on Corpulence, and a hundred years later Dr Atkins was in print and doing a lot to correct metabolic syndrome, obesity and cardiac problems, and it helped a lot of diabetics too.
It did take only 80 days for eating low carb to reduce my Hba1c to 47 from 91 - so I'd advise that you at least wait for your next blood test results before making up your mind - unless of course, two months is when your test is due.

Reactions: Ultramum

frankbegbie

You are on a diet which has been making people feel great for about 150 years - it helped many people lose weight when William Banting published his Letter on Corpulence, and a hundred years later Dr Atkins was in print and doing a lot to correct metabolic syndrome, obesity and cardiac problems, and it helped a lot of diabetics too.
It did take only 80 days for eating low carb to reduce my Hba1c to 47 from 91 - so I'd advise that you at least wait for your next blood test results before making up your mind - unless of course, two months is when your test is due.

Ive been trying various diets for years but had no success.

Little did I know I had Type 2 Diabetis and I was flogging a dead horse.

I'm presuming I should see some kind of improvment in blood sugar levels and weight loss in two months.

I'm going to be very strict with the diet.

I don't want to get to the end of two months and be saying, "If only"

Feeling slightly weird right now; I think my body is wondering what happened to all the carbs?

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been tying various diets for years but had no success.

Little did I know I had Type 2 Diabetis and I was flogging a dead horse.

I'm presuming I should see some kind of improvment in blood sugar levels and weight loss in two months.

I'm going to be very strict with the diet.

I don't want to get to the end of two months and be saying, "If only"

Feeling slightly weird right now; I think my body is wondering what happened to all the carbs?
Most likely. It takes a little while for your body to switch fuel sources from carbs to fat. Persevere and ride out the storm and you'll get there faster. It can give you flu like symptoms. One huge thing you should do that helps is make sure you're getting enough salt. It can just be salt on your food, in your water or some broth. Low carb is dehydrating by nature and salt always helps.

Good luck!!! Best thing I ever did. And such delicious food, just different.

frankbegbie

Most likely. It takes a little while for your body to switch fuel sources from carbs to fat. Persevere and ride out the storm and you'll get there faster. It can give you flu like symptoms. One huge thing you should do that helps is make sure you're getting enough salt. It can just be salt on your food, in your water or some broth. Low carb is dehydrating by nature and salt always helps.

Good luck!!! Best thing I ever did. And such delicious food, just different.

I even felt better about things when I was preparing the veg this morning.

Proper grub no processed stuff in sight.

Reminds me of the meals my Gran used to make years ago.

I've been fasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 24 hours for the past two months.

Not sure if I should carry on with that?

I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fresh wholesome food will always make you feel better. It's just a little more planning but you'll find a routine. I make a lunch right after bf and divide it into two meals. I bulk/ batch a variety of proteins so all I do is defrost and add some veg and avocado. I've gotten lazy about cooking and cleaning. This way of eating isn't necessarily convenient but once we establish a routine it's easier. I always eat the same bf and Sam every type lunch. No thinking involved

As far as fasting I would say listen to your body. We don't want to put lots of stress on it. You might find after you acclimate to the lchf you aren't hungry for either bf or lunch and prefer to skip one or both. You might find th 24 hour fasts easy. Just make sure you get your nutrients. If you are hungry eat, if you're not don't. You could find you can't eat as much without being too full.
I prefer to eat snack sized meals a few times a day rather than larger ones but that's due to my stomach. And I get nauseous if it's not chomping on something regularly.

You'll find your nitch. Just listen to your body. Lots of changes ahead to give it time to adjust.

Glad you're already feeling better!!!

B

badcat

My current favourite is greek yogurt mixed with homemade raspberry chia jam (dead easy to make) and toasted almonds

D

Deleted member 308541

I take my twice a day Metformin with meals including breakfast, I also take nine other tablets for heart and blood which have to be taken with food at breakfast.

Taking them on a empty gut will cause me a lot of trouble as some of them will rip the lining off the stomach and cause internal bleeding.