What's a reasonable meter reading?

Osborneuk

Type2. Felt a bit groggy when I got up so got the meter out and it read 33.2. I take it that's a bad reading. By end of day was down to 11.3. Nothing special the night before so mystified.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My old doctor was happy for readings to be below 10.0 which is still a bit high. Though at the moment set my present goal to keep below 9.5 which I will reduce to a better limit shortly as I was in the 20's in Dec and Jan.

As scottish-jim says readings in the 33's is very high, and you need to see a doctor or your diabetic nurse asap, especially if those readings are regular readings.

Are you eating things like white bread or drinking sugarly drinks, as in my case white bread is a major problem to me :( miss my crusty white rolls which I had as a sunday treat.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My meter maximum is 33 mmol/L. I once went over that but it must have been an error because I did it again and it was in the 10s. You'll learn how your meter behaves with experience.

My meter manual says not to be worried about the occasional reading of 11.0 but to talk to the doctor if it is frequently over 11.0. My DN says something along the same lines but uses the figure of 15.0.

With time, as you get to know your foods, you will most likely get it down to the 8s and 9s, then 7s and 8s and so on. Losing weight, taking exercise, eating the right foods and you can bring it right down.

But, you will always get the occasional weird meter reading.