what's happening to my fiance?

Areej

my fiance-the love of my life-has been a type 1 diabetic for over 20 years..he is 31 years old now
he wasn't in control of his diabetes until 1 year ago his A1c reached 7 by the end of 2011
he developed retinopathy & started his 1st laser session in 2009 with a total of 6 in the left eye & 3 in the right one
he had a couple of hemorrhages after his 1st session and some more in the sessions following that
it used to happen twice or 3 times a year but in the last six months after the 5th laser session it started happening twice a month and now after his last laser which was 3 weeks a go it's been happening 2-3 times a week! and when ever we go the ER in the ophthalmology center they do some tests & take some pictures & say to just keep controlling the diabetes & wait for the appointment next month!
but he is controlled already? and it keeps bleeding from the same place in his left eye? why?
what can provoke the bleeds? hypos? nutritional supplements? stress? what are we suppose to avoid to keep these bleeds from happening?
the retina is attached & thank God for that but the floaters is really depressing him..
the dr said this will be his last laser session & my fiance is afraid that they'll have to operate after that..
our wedding is in 2 weeks & we're afraid he'll develop more bleeds by then or even has one during our wedding..

please help!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really sorry to hear about your fiance troubles with Diabetic Retinopathy. Unfortunately there's not much one can do but keep good blood glucose control and keep blood pressure and cholesterol levels in check, laser treatment is usually effective in halting further bleeds but occasionally surgery is the only alternative when all else fails.

The following site has a wealth of information regarding diabetic retinopathy:

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/

Again I'm sorry about your fella's problems but hope your wedding day goes to plan.