What's the best monitor ?

Steveteare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there newly diagnosed T1 after being T2 for 15 years and I'm using a accucheck mobile meter but looking for something that a) could reduce finger pricking b) less painful finger pricking .... what do you all suggest?

Reactions: tony the tiger

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi there newly diagnosed T1 after being T2 for 15 years and I'm using a accucheck mobile meter but looking for something that a) could reduce finger pricking b) less painful finger pricking .... what do you all suggest?

I think the only way you'll reduce finger pricking is by moving to Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM). Try to google Freestyle Libre and/or Dexcom. These devices are not cheap to purchase (or run) but users seem to love them!

If you're in the UK then please be aware that these devices are not yet recognised by the DVLA as being adequate to monitor blood glucose for driving. Finger pricking is still mandatory here if you're a driver.

Reactions: Prem51

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Accu-chek meter is not bad, although it's fairly bulky, cartridges are very pricey (GP's are often reluctant to prescribe due to the costs) and the lancing device isn't the most "comfortable".

Considering that most meters are not incorporated with a lancing device, you can choose a lancing device which is less painful and use alongside any meter of your choice. You may find this thread of some use:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/best-least-painful-lancing-device.75142/

I used to use a Glucomen lancing device as shown in the below image, although is appears to have been superceded by a newer model which I don't rate nearly as much:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g..._AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=xh4hfdBrjp-4lM:

For the last year I've used the Dario All In One Smart Meter and it's great! It integrates with my smart phone so I'm not carrying as much stuff around with me and also allows for excellent log keeping and tracking of my doses, meals, estimated A1c, etc. Test strips for this meter are competitively priced which means that they are easily attainable on prescription from your GP without the need for debate:)

http://mydario.co.uk/smart-meter/

@urbanracer is correct in that you'll not reduce the amount of times you need to prick your finger with a conventional meter. Your options are therefore CGM or FGM. Whilst great pieces of tech, they're pricey and more often than not, not available on prescription for the majority.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I see you have Accucheck equipment @Steveteare , which lancing device were you given?

I use an Accucheck Softclix which I purchased from ebay after it was recommended by other forum users. It's certainly the least painful of the 3 I have.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

The Accu-Chek Fastclix is probably the best lancing device around for comfort, I doubt there's a better one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @noblehead

The Fastclix that came with my Accu Chek Mobile is the best for comfort and convenience with the lancet drum inside the pen.

Steveteare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The Accu-Chek Fastclix is probably the best lancing device around for comfort, I doubt there's a better one.

The problem is that it has a fundamental flaw, you can prick your fingers with the same needle if you don't advance it. Multiclick never allowed this, you had to advance it each time it was used it was never allowed to use the same needle twice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is that it has a fundamental flaw, you can prick your fingers with the same needle if you don't advance it. Multiclick never allowed this, you had to advance it each time it was used it was never allowed to use the same needle twice.

This isn't a flaw in my case. I use the same lancet over and over! A drum of 6 lasts me ages.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I think you may be mistaken there @Steveteare , I used and still have a Multiclix lancer and you don't have to advance (rotate the drum) for each bg test if you don't want to.

Reactions: Notorious

Steveteare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think you may be mistaken there @Steveteare , I used and still have a Multiclix lancer and you don't have to advance (rotate the drum) for each bg test if you don't want to.

Mmmm well it makes it more difficult the fastclick can be pressed and pressed without moving it on its always primed either way this doesn't let me know have I used this needle or not so I advance it and must probably lose a needle or 2 in my drum

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mmmm well it makes it more difficult the fastclick can be pressed and pressed without moving it on its always primed either way this doesn't let me know have I used this needle or not so I advance it and must probably lose a needle or 2 in my drum

TBH I just rotate the drum each morning and don't do it each time that I test, but if you prefer to use a fresh needle with each test then just get into the habit of rotating the drum.

Reactions: vinny14

Steveteare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
TBH I just rotate the drum each morning and don't do it each time that I test, but if you prefer to use a fresh needle with each test then just get into the habit of rotating the drum.

Ahhhh that's my problem then I thought I had to use a clean needle every test?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ahhhh that's my problem then I thought I had to use a clean needle every test?

The manufacturers will state that the lancet are to be used once only, it's personal preference whether you heed that advice or not.

Besty W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently had a contour next one, which is compatible with iPhone or android, does some nice graphs and shows averages. It has shown me I'm usually lowest between 3-6pm and highest later in the day, which has given me some opportunity to slightly alter things to improve my levels. Photo of today's readings, good luck. The lancet device with this has also been excellent, the trueyou version was mashing my fingers
69e3bac25e138c62dcc1591825bf706d.jpg